• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooper

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Houston Area
    I'm kinda in the same boat. I am looking at the X-Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range in 300WM.

I like the 30 caliber option as projectiles have been readily (somewhat) available and Federal Premium has also had the ammo available during these trying times (eye roll). There are also lost of options when it comes to 30 caliber projectiles.

I would spend more on glass, but that's just my thought.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I'd recommend a Browning or Ruger rifle because i believe them to be the best quality vs price, and put a Leopold VX Freedom 3-9x50 scope on it.

As for the caliber, i am admittedly biased toward 30-06 for a number of reasons. America has had a century long love affair with 30-06 and it has been THE single most popular and with the broadest range of purposes caliber for over a century. Availability has always been excellent for factory ammo and reloading components. But If you really think you need more energy at distance than the 30-06 provides, my second best recommendation is for 7mm Rem Mag.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Thought I’d share my plans for a custom rifle I’m planning. After a lot of comparing I have decided on a 25-06 project. Sometimes a sweet cartridge is right in front of us.

Here’s a video that explains some great points:

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    Thought I’d share my plans for a custom rifle I’m planning. After a lot of comparing I have decided on a 25-06 project. Sometimes a sweet cartridge is right in front of us.

Good luck with the build. Should keep you busy working up a pet load.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

I bought my first rifle chambered in 25-06 about forty years ago, and I have owned one ever since then. Absolutely love the cartridge. Extremely versatile. It's reloaders dream as well. You can load it with heavy bullets and do pretty much what a lot of larger calibers can do if you use accurate shot placement and the proper bullets, and mind your distances. Load it with lighter bullets and it becomes a large caliber varmint rifle. Recoil is very mild as well, so you can shoot all day long without getting beat to hell from recoil. With the right loads and some fine-tuning, the 25-06 is very accurate, and it lends itself to very easy to find an accurate load.

It has become one of my favorite rounds over the years.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I haven't tried it yet but I just got a marlin 7mm-08 got to see how it runs
    20210917_143528.jpg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I haven't tried it yet but I just got a marlin 7mm-08 got to see how it runs View attachment 278146
    I have the same rifle! I did mount mine in a Boyd's grey laminated stock though. The factory synthetic stocks are a little flimsy in the fore-end area, and the laminated stock fixes that issue and also dresses up the rifle.

Extremely accurate with handloads and even most factory ammo. Awesome rifle that I believe you are going to enjoy for years to come.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I have the same rifle! I did mount mine in a Boyd's grey laminated stock though. The factory synthetic stocks are a little flimsy in the fore-end area, and the laminated stock fixes that issue and also dresses up the rifle.

Extremely accurate with handloads and even most factory ammo. Awesome rifle that I believe you are going to enjoy for years to come.
    Caught the setup in a pawnshop 500.00 otd

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I have three of the marlin X7 series of rifles. The first one I bought was an XL7 in 25-06 to replace one that was lacking in the collection.

The next one, was the XS7 in 7mm-08, just because I had been wanting a rifle in that cartridge for many years, and really liked the 26-06 Marlin enough to give it a try. Fell in love with the rifle and the cartridge! Absolute joy to shoot for extended range sessions, and almost unbelievably accurate with just about any ammo, whether factory, or handloads. I do prefer handloads for that cartridge though.

The third one I bought was right after Marlin announced bring them out, a 308 and a 22-250 with heavy 26" varmint style barrels. i ordered a 308 with the intentions of building a budget target rifle.

My next goal for the future is to swap a heavy 26" barrel onto the 7mm-08 as well. Found out the Savage barrels using the barrel nut, have the same threading as the Marlins. Have entertained doing the 25-06 as well!

Top Bottom