• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I will be traveling from Texas to Missouri stay there for about 5 days. Missouri permetless carry went into effect Jan 2017 so I am good there. I am having issues finding laws for traveling through Tenn. and Georgia with a handgun. I haven't finished my TX LTC yet so I am trying to figure out the laws for those two states. I know all the other states on my trip besides those two.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    but it doesn't say if I can carry a weapon in my car passing through loaded or unloaded within reach or out of reach. I know the laws of the destination states but not the ones in between. I need to know in my own vehicle laws for those states. I know I can not have a loaded handgun in those states without a permit outside of my vehicle but I need to know how I can transport as I pass through.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I would think you could Google "Tenn gun laws" or some such. Personally, I use an App called "CCW". I "invested" the 99 cents or $1.99 (whatever it was). If you travel a fair amount, it'd probably be worth it to you. They do a good job at keeping each state's gun laws current & up-to-date.
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Good to go with any loaded legally owned firearm anywhere IN VEHICLE in TN-hidden or openly. Georgia the same anywhere IN VEHICLE. Both states notify officer on demand. I'd tell them when they asked for the driver's license...BEFORE I reached for the license.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Good to go with any loaded legally owned firearm anywhere IN VEHICLE in TN-hidden or openly. Georgia the same anywhere IN VEHICLE. Both states notify officer on demand. I'd tell them when they asked for the driver's license...BEFORE I reached for the license.
    Source: Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States 2016 issue. TN DPS 615-251-8590. GA ATTY GEN 404-656-3300.

In GA, nonpermittees can carry firearms loaded in their OWN vehicle. IF you are qualified to get, but do not have, a GA permit-you may carry loaded in ANY vehicle you're in. That would be you if there's no reason you wouldn't be issued a permit-they list 21, not a felon, not a drug user, not a patient at mental hospital or drug treatment center. They do NOT mention GA residency.

Thanks for your service! Safe journey!

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Lewisville
    It has been my experience that if the Castle Doctrine is Enacted in the particular state that you are traveling to you are covered to carry a loaded gun in your car within arms reach, either concealed or open depending on the state

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    I started on the Castle Doctrine list and got to seven states that don't allow loaded handgun carry in a vehicle either concealed or openly without a permit.... so that's not an accurate rule to go by. I didn't get past the I's .

Considering your proximity, I checked OK---they don't allow carry of loaded firearms in vehicle without permit.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I started on the Castle Doctrine list and got to seven states that don't allow loaded handgun carry in a vehicle either concealed or openly without a permit.... so that's not an accurate rule to go by. I didn't get past the I's .

Considering your proximity, I checked OK---they don't allow carry of loaded firearms in vehicle without permit.
    So does that mean I can not be loaded in the vehicle while passing through? and we changed our route I have to look up Oklahoma now instead.

Top Bottom