• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I have the classic 4 hole. I Load 9mm/9x18/38 and 7.62x39 on it without problems. Now as you ask about the what else. Get the Lee Perfect Powder Measure it is much better than the auto disc (which I have as well). Only drawback is you are removing the brass from the loader to pour your powder. However, I like that this ensures I have a moment between returning the brass to the loader where I can visually see the powder, I like to double check that all looks right before the bullet gets seated. It is also a much finer adjustment so you can be more accurate in your powder throws.

I would also suggest the Lee auto prime as it makes it easy to prime your brass.

I also have a lee single stage so here is how I do most of my reloading. Clean/tumble the brass I bring back from the range. De-prime on the single stage. At a later date I use the Auto prime to set primers while relaxing away from the bench. Therefore I find I am only using 2 or 3 of the 4 hole press dependent upon what I am loading... So..... Suggestion is to get with someone who has the press, watch them and see how they use it. I wish I had opted for the 3 hole. However, this is just one loaders opinion

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Opinions are like buttholes................

I prefer the single stage press because I can use the progressive for pistol rounds and the Rockchucker single stage for big rifle rounds. When I loaded a lot, I had one Dillon press for large primer and one for small primer. Had three total but only one now. So....been there & done that.

I would prefer a newbie to start with a single stage press because there are a lot of things going on in those dies all at once and you learn how to adjust them easier and better using a single stage press. Later, when you really understand how the dies work, get a progressive loader. That makes sense and keeps the reloading newbie safer, too.

Flash

wneubauer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I just started reloading, and after a bunch of asking questions, I went with the Lee Classic Turret 4 hole. It's a slick unit, iron base, works as advertised. With the extra turret plates at about 12.00 per, you can switch calibers in about 30 seconds. I do 7.62 x 54 and .45 acp so far. Whole set up, dies, Auto-Prime (buy this 12.00 genius device) auto-disk powder measure was around 200.00. Get the swivel for the powder measure, you will be very glad you did. Good luck, and now you can spend a bunch on powder, bullets, primers, whatever..

murdoc94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    DFW
    I agree fully with wneubauer,
    I have the turret press as well and switch between 9mm, 40cal, 45ACP and 7.5x55 swiss all the time with ease.

The real money I have invested is not in the presses or dies, it's all in the components. Many times you buy items in bulk when on sale or just simply when the stores get them in! You will start buying in 1000pc lots of brass and primers, then you will notice you only have 300 rounds worth of powder so you buy some on sale then you have 3,000 rounds worth of powder so you buy more brass and primers to make up for it etc. It's a wicked cycle!

POF-USA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    college station
    I just started reloading, and after a bunch of asking questions, I went with the Lee Classic Turret 4 hole. It's a slick unit, iron base, works as advertised. With the extra turret plates at about 12.00 per, you can switch calibers in about 30 seconds. I do 7.62 x 54 and .45 acp so far. Whole set up, dies, Auto-Prime (buy this 12.00 genius device) auto-disk powder measure was around 200.00. Get the swivel for the powder measure, you will be very glad you did. Good luck, and now you can spend a bunch on powder, bullets, primers, whatever..

Where are you at in total cash, if you don't mind me asking?

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    First you need some manuals. The Lyman and Modern Reloading by Richard Lee are good for starters. The Lee book has great articles but remember he is also trying to sell his product. Still lots of good info there.

As to a single stage, turret or progressive, that is strictly up to you. You can learn on any of them. Personally, I don't see the point in buying a "starter kit" that you plan to outgrow or that makes things un-necessarily harder than it hast to be. My time is worth something even when practicing my hobbies. Do your own research on all the major presses. Dillon, Lee, Hornaday, RCBS. Look at dollars versus features. Set a budget. Included in the budget should be the necessities other than press and dies.

Required:
    Manuals
    Powder scale
    Calipers
    Bench
    Case gauges (more required for rifle than pistol as pistol barrels can be used)
    Lighting over the bench

Optional:
    Vibratory tumbler (some form of brass cleaning is required but it can be done without a tumbler)
    Media separator (handy time saver)
    Digital scale (Quicker but more expensive for a good one than a balance type and some will say you need a balance type anyway)
    Powder measure (drops powder into the case.

That is really all I can think of at this moment.

griff383

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    Arlington
    +1 on the manuals, when I first started reloading a few years ago I bought 3 different brands of them and asked everyone at every store for input. I gathered info for a few months to make sure that I had a good understanding of the process and what to look out for. There is no thing as too much safety when dealing with the components and processes of reloading.

As for my first set up, I went with the LEE turret press, changing calibers is a breeze. Tolerances are a little loose but nothing gets out of spec where it would cause concern for safety. I learned a ton over the first year with this equipment and now feel that a progressive is the next purchase. Another plus to the turret is that once you get it all set up and dialed in you can make ammo at a decent rate, not anywhere near a progressive but definitly faster than a single stage.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    Many years ago I started loading .357 mag using a Leeloader. Takes a long time to load 50 rounds and seating the primer can get exciting! When I decided to get back into reloading about 2 years ago, I did some homework and read some reviews and went with the Lee Classic Turret. I loaded a few hundred .45 acp with the little scoop measure until I had my one and only squib. After that, I added a Pro Auto-Disk powder measure with the Auto-Disk riser to get the hopper up and away from the Safety Prime setup. The only thing I have done since is to change the disks to the adjustable charge bar. I can adjust charges for different primers, powders, and bullets without taking the hopper off. I look into the case before seating the bullet to make sure that there is a powder charge. I use a digital scale and check it peridocally against a balance beam scale. I spot check about every 10-15 rounds for charge weight. My charges are very consistent with no unexpected hot loads or squibs since I added the powder measure.

It takes me about 5 minutes to change from .45 acp to 9mm or 30-06 and I can safely crank out about 100 .45 acp or 9mm pistol rounds in an hour since they do not need to be trimmed. I take my time with the 30-06 but I can still safely make 30 or so in an hour when I am using the collet die.

I added a pocket cleaner, case trimmer, and chamfer tool all Lee. I purchased all of my Lee equipment new from 10-Ring here in NW Harris County. I also purchased my tumbler and medium there and get all of my powder and primers there.

For pistol bullets, I use Zero bullets from Roze and Precision Delta bullets I order online. They go for less than $120/1000, shipped. I get my .308 bullets at 10-Ring.

barhob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    new braunfels
    whatever loader you get, second on your list should be help.
    find someone to properly show you how to set up and reload.
    you will have a multitude of dangerous mistakes starting out reading a book.
    find someone that has loaded for many years.
    i have a friend that is very smart and rich, but made many mistakes before asking me to come over and fix his problems.
    do not wait and possibly hurt yourself, gun and others.
    Texas42 has great advise.
    I use the dillon 550b, loading six pistol calibers.

Top Bottom