• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chinookman

Two-burning-Six a-turning
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Republic of TEXAS near Victoria
    well fellas sometime in October I'll be in need of a shed / work shop......tuff shed has a 12 x 30 and was wondering if anyone ever had one or seen them there in south Austin?....thinking of insulating running 120 circuits for tools music window unit. also looking at building storage cabinets for tools, parts, and saving about a 12 x 5 area for work bench. reloading equipment, folding poker table cigar smoking refuge etc.......

whatch..yah'll think could work yes?...ideas?

yeah wife says garage for trucks go figure.....will have tool box and compressor though...hey gottah put my foot down damit.....:rolleyes:

thanks......
    Military Camp

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    We bought a Tuff Shed about six years ago and it was the best decision we had made for storage. I looked at every offering for "custom" sheds and Tuff Shed won hands down. Our home and lot is tight so I had to get a 6x12 shed to fit in the space available. Obviously they are pre-fabbed but dang they are built like tanks! Super rigid steel frame and completely studded and shot strong. It was also roofed with the shingles I provided complete with a ridge vent. Unfortunately I did not run power to it which I have been regretting.

They require that the pad be level to a certain guide line that I have since forgotten. You can see in the picture where I cleared a pad and then built a wall and back filled with dirt complete with drainage pipe and rock. FOUR guys came out with the shed and had it done and painted in 3.5 hours. The only complaint I have is that I had a single door made for the opening and they hung it with hinges that were too small. I replaced them with the largest hinges that HD had and the problem was solved.

A few things I would do different is:

1. Have them install shelves
    2. Have a ramp installed
    3. Had power run to it
    4. Larger hinges for the door

The other trick my wife did was she signed up for Home Depots credit card and got a good chunk off of the price.

DSCN2493.jpg

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    We then had a new fence built which hid the shed in the backyard to meet HOA requirements. Long shot but you can see the front of the unit.

DSCN2495.jpg

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    I went with a factory built. They dropped it on my leveled area ( 2 Guys ). I had them upgrade the windows, set the wall height at 8' and there is an A/C unit in the back wall. Then I insulated it, finished out the interior, ran power and added a small deck. Only had 2 issues, I expected that 8' walls would be 8' inside height. However the small print was they would use 8' framing so all interior sheeting had to be cut and though I did specify that I was going to insulate it, I did not specify that I was going to put a ceiling inside so they only had a couple ceiling joists ( they did however provide me with additional 2/4s to fix this ). 119.jpg 065.jpg

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I went with a factory built. They dropped it on my leveled area ( 2 Guys ). I had them upgrade the windows, set the wall height at 8' and there is an A/C unit in the back wall. Then I insulated it, finished out the interior, ran power and added a small deck. Only had 2 issues, I expected that 8' walls would be 8' inside height. However the small print was they would use 8' framing so all interior sheeting had to be cut and though I did specify that I was going to insulate it, I did not specify that I was going to put a ceiling inside so they only had a couple ceiling joists ( they did however provide me with additional 2/4s to fix this ). View attachment 23332 View attachment 23333

That is awesome.

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

Chinookman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    I went with a factory built. They dropped it on my leveled area ( 2 Guys ). I had them upgrade the windows, set the wall height at 8' and there is an A/C unit in the back wall. Then I insulated it, finished out the interior, ran power and added a small deck. Only had 2 issues, I expected that 8' walls would be 8' inside height. However the small print was they would use 8' framing so all interior sheeting had to be cut and though I did specify that I was going to insulate it, I did not specify that I was going to put a ceiling inside so they only had a couple ceiling joists ( they did however provide me with additional 2/4s to fix this ). View attachment 23332 View attachment 23333
    dah-um...that is a nice set up....like that deck great ideas and like your shop set up...helps me get some ideas rolling........

reading the posts here about HD do they carry the Tuff Shed as well? We plan on going to the store in Austin and talk to them about building a 12 x 30...a 12 x 32 is an additional 1k and well 1k for another 24sq ft does not seem like a good business decision but this will be it, it's my retirement set up for wood working, poker, cleanimg my guns reloading overall workshop and storage. The 12x30 goes for around 6.5k or so and compared to what Ixve seen in Victoria this seems to be the best deal....plus on skid shoild be less taxes since it is not on a slab...ha...ha...ha.....

hey thanks everyone....:cool:

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    We got a tuff shed about 3-4 years ago from HD. It's tiny in compliance with our HOA. But it's a quality build. I spray painted the inside with white semi-gloss and put down armstrong vinyl tile on the floor. Wired it for electricity. Never looked back !! We did have a problem with the locking latch, which Tuff Shed replaced (installed and replaced) no charge. The install had a "few" nail pops (nail heads not fully sunk) during install which could have been from low air nailer pressure but other than that, I can't complain.

Chinookman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    man more idea white semi interior will help a couple of 4 footers light it up real nice...yupp...thanks ...bought a graco spray gun from sherwin williams couple years back when prepping the house for sale.....so between staining the new fence now the shed interior I'll get to play with my toys ah......then settle in the cave cold beer cigar music ........ah man ah can see it now better then being on the cover of the rolling stones.......

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Things I would definitely let whomever is pricing out your shed know. If you decide you are going to insulate and finish out the walls.
    They need to know so you do not end up with air vents in the walls. If you are going to put in a ceiling, same so you get sufficient ceiling joists.
    If you want 8' walls, know they are not going to be 8' to the inside...
    If you want to put in an a/c unit, get it and they can frame for it on the wall you choose ( I went with middle back ).
    Doors. If you want better security on the doors, you can upgrade to a household type ( or buy one and deliver it to them prior to the build )
    Windows. Same as for doors.
    You will want full length roof vent if you insulate.
    You do not need their reflective barrier if you insulate, save some dollars here.
    Size, buy the biggest you can afford... I went 12x20, I have a large safe, office desk two workbenches steel cabinet as well as bookshelves and other storage. I could use another 4 ft easy. BUT, if you have the stuff you are going to be putting into it already. Spend some time and arrange them in whatever size of an area you figure the building will be to see how it all works. ( I did a mock setup in the garage ) It did help with the overall size decision. ( bank account could not support the additional footage ).
    I went with white paneling for the ceiling, one end wall and parts of the others. Remainder is white peg board.
    If you are going to wire it, also think about wiring for speakers/sound system before you panel. Also, put in outlets in all walls and you may wish to put them above bench height all the way around. It is also an idea to put a few into the ceiling if this is to be a workshop. I also put an outlet on the outside but wish I had put one at each end or opposite corners so that I am not always running a long extension.

VERY IMPORTANT. If moma is gong to have to fetch you out of it, or look at it every time she is in the back yard, make the outsides look good. It goes a long way towards keeping her happy. The deck I built matches the deck that I built on the back of the house.

Chinookman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Thanks Cantex....I will be writing some notes and you hit on many good points. builder ran a 50 amp service box to the outside of our new house.once the limestone is laid and we close next month I will most likely run direct burial #6 but will look at Ugly's for distance and loading for corrsct sizing.with a tiller lawn gear in the back end and table , miter saws etc the old 12x15 and one garage wall was full. will have to lay it all out on paper for sure.
    Good idea to share with tuff shed folks on my plans so they can adjust accordingly........thanks have a good week....

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom