• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bluecollar1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    Red Oak Tx.
    Hey Folks,

Does anyone have experience with tuning or trying to tune the recoil on the sd40ve?

Thanks in advance.

bluecollar1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    Red Oak Tx.
    Maybe I should rephrase my question.
    Has anyone tried the 20# recoil spring in the SD40VE?
    Looking on line, S&W lists the 9 and 40 as having a 18# spring. Most after market sights list it as a 17# spring.
    Was wondering if anyone has tried this.

Thanks.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    I have tuned all of my 1911's to the purpose for which they are used. Target/self or home defense etc. These are ammo critical.
    On this pistol a 2# increase will tame it but it might give you other issues as in FTF's FTE's.
    It all depends on what ammo you are running. All you can do is try.

bluecollar1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    Red Oak Tx.
    I’d tune it over the closest open body of water and buy a M&P.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL, The wife got the M&P9. I do like that pistol alot.
    Picked up the SD to cover the three main pistol calibers. (It's almost like Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Corona)
    My SA 1911A1 is my go to. It may be SA but I've had many offers to buy it from other folks I've let shoot.

Churchmouse, I did read up on the build you did. That is some beautiful work, sir. Taking your advice, I'll have to give it a try.
    Thanks for the replies gents.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    There are no more or less cheap plastic pieces in the SD VE line than in Glock or M&P. Its a dimwitted mind set that craps on a gun because it does not cost a great deal. I'm amazed at people that hate a gun from South America, yet think a Croatian gun with an American name is wonderful. And then gripe about the ATI brand.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    LOL, The wife got the M&P9. I do like that pistol alot.
    Picked up the SD to cover the three main pistol calibers. (It's almost like Bud Light, Miller Lite, and Corona) "Duvel"
    My SA 1911A1 is my go to. It may be SA but I've had many offers to buy it from other folks I've let shoot.

Churchmouse, I did read up on the build you did. That is some beautiful work, sir. Taking your advice, I'll have to give it a try.
    Thanks for the replies gents.
    Add the Duvel to your list and you'll have a really, really nice gun! :banana:

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I own and carry some nice handguns. Some cost a lot. I have a S&W 9 VE in my truck. It has been 100% reliable through 400 rounds. I paid about $225 for it and I would trust it to save my life.

Get a new recoil spring. Tune that sumbitch and turn a deaf ear to the high-fallutin' nay-sayers.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    There are no more or less cheap plastic pieces in the SD VE line than in Glock or M&P. Its a dimwitted mind set that craps on a gun because it does not cost a great deal. I'm amazed at people that hate a gun from South America, yet think a Croatian gun with an American name is wonderful. And then gripe about the ATI brand.

Just from personal experience with ATI---we have owned a few and every one of them required some work right out of the box. As I am a hands on guy and could care about a warr because I am not sending my gun back I did the work myself. Lesson learned. I have repaired more than a few of them as well.

In this I know a couple of people that own ATI's with good results. Just like an RIA it can be a crap shoot. I will never tell you not to by a specific brand/marque but I may suggest you look elsewhere.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Just from personal experience with ATI---we have owned a few and every one of them required some work right out of the box. As I am a hands on guy and could care about a warr because I am not sending my gun back I did the work myself. Lesson learned. I have repaired more than a few of them as well.

In this I know a couple of people that own ATI's with good results. Just like an RIA it can be a crap shoot. I will never tell you not to by a specific brand/marque but I may suggest you look elsewhere.

I've got an ATI 1911 that I bought new for $339 a couple of months ago. It shoots nice, has a great feel to it. Also have an ATI AR-15 that works just fine (got that one used for $350). I'm very happy with both of them. Not all guns have to be expensive to be good.

Churchmouse

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    Indy west
    I've got an ATI 1911 that I bought new for $339 a couple of months ago. It shoots nice, has a great feel to it. Also have an ATI AR-15 that works just fine (got that one used for $350). I'm very happy with both of them. Not all guns have to be expensive to be good.
    Never said that. Just stating facts from personal experiences. Never had good luck with ATI/Thompson auto etc.
    As I get older and my skill sets increase the bar gets higher. In that I have lost touch with having to save every penny to purchase my next firearm. I do still get to see a lot of them. Friends own and shoot them so when they break (and they do) I get to see them. As I have always said, I will not besmearch your choice of firearm. I will suggest you look elsewhere but its your money. Choose your poison.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've owned five of those S&W pistols over the years: (3- 9mm's and 2- 40 cal). I don't have a single complaint about them nor have I had a single malfunction with any of them.

Construction of the S&W magazines is superior by comparison.

Those are great pistols and I see no need to "tune" them. The chief complaint is about difficult trigger pulls. My giant fingers have no problems with those triggers.

Don't modify..........Practice!

Flash

bluecollar1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    Red Oak Tx.
    I've owned five of those S&W pistols over the years: (3- 9mm's and 2- 40 cal). I don't have a single complaint about them nor have I had a single malfunction with any of them.

Construction of the S&W magazines is superior by comparison.

Those are great pistols and I see no need to "tune" them. The chief complaint is about difficult trigger pulls. My giant fingers have no problems with those triggers.

Don't modify..........Practice!

Flash
    Copy that. Posted a short review on this SD today.

Top Bottom