Military Camp

Turkey Cooking - 5 years running best turkey ever.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Seven years ago I got tired of BAD turkey. Many Many years of dry and one raw turkey on the table, my family and inlaws just couldn't pull off a good turkey. Then only good ones I had were cooked or fried by a pro but that's $$.

Scouring the Internet I came upon Alton Browns's (From the show Good Eats). I followed his instructions and it came out sooooo good and moist and cooked correctly I've taken over the turkey baking from that year on. I don't trust anyone unless I quiz them.

Brining and meat temperature thermometers are the key, but thawing and getting a 18lb MAX bird are close seconds.

Last, it covers carving!

So be the hit of your families or friends T day gathering or cook for yourself.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-roast-turkey-recipe/index.html

Here are the videos for the episodes and a link to the food network so you don't need to take notes.

DK Firearms

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I used his recipe last year and I definitely concur. We have enough people over that we need two. Wifey-mate and I get in a turkey cooking contest.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    We used his brine around 6 years ago and loved it. Now we like using the rottesserie, but Alton's recipe definitely rocks.

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I don't find any need to brine the turkey. The key is to cook it slow. Mine turn out great, year after year. (Although, that does create one problem: the in-laws come over for every holiday and eat half my damn turkey. I suppose that it would not sit well if I just had them drive by and get "to-go" plates.)

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Been frying turkeys for years also. Always finish tasty -- moist meat and crusty skin. Don't brine them. Don't inject them with that Cajun stuff. Don't buy frozen, only fresh.

Salt the bird thoroughly inside and out and lay it out for a couple of hours on a rack to promote draining, and stuff the cavity loosely with paper towels.

Change paper towels every twenty minutes.

Just before frying,

Rub the bird with seasonings inside and out. Paprika, black pepper, sage, cayenne powder, onion powder, yellow ground mustard, garlic powder. Jjust coat the bird fully with equal amounts of spices. Go wild with the seasonings you have on hand. (Most will fall off in the roiling frying oil).

Lower the bird slowly into the fryer. The boiling oil will kill any bacteria that took hold while the turkey warmed to room temperature.

After frying, cover the bird loosely with aluminum foil and let it cool for about 20 minutes before carving.

Happy Thanksgiving!

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    Most people who say you don't need to brine have never tried it. Same people who say 45 is better than 9 or there's nor replacement for displacement

mosin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    Laredo
    Alton Brown rocks
    alton-brown-gun.jpg

I might give that brine a shot, we are just doing a whole chicken since its just me and the girl.

Top Bottom