• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yooper_sjd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Christoval
    Yugo is better. Have heard bad things about turk 8mm surplus. I had a 8mm Mauser and Hakim. shot Yugo surplus exclusively out of them with zero mishaps/misfires. I buy most my surplus ammo online and main search engine for me is: ammoengine.com

and I always check Century Arms website for ammo as well. most my regular sights are out of Yugo surplus. but haven't checked Century website as of yet.

hope that helps

yoop

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Are you referring to rifles or ammo? Most Turk rifles were made in Germany and later re-arsenaled in Ankara. Yugo rifles are unique as most are not exactly K98 size (they are slightly shorter).

Ammo? Turk ammo has a reputation for being HOT! I have yet to experience a misfire or hangfire in my Turk ammo. WTS, some report problems.
    Yugo ammo is still made and generally considered good quality

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    The best surplus 8mm Mauser ammo comes from the former Yugoslavia. It is brass cased, but corrosive. Be sure to flood your barrel with hot soapy water as soon as you can after shooting.

Corrosive ammo (actual the primer mix) will continue to attack your bore days after you first cleaned it. It is good to follow a three day cleaning cycle: Flush with plenty of hot soapy water, dry, run bore solvent back and forth on a patch, then oil.

If you are lucky, there is some surplus 8mm Mauser ammo still out there for about a $.75 a round.

With the dwindling supply of surplus 8mm, I've started to reload with virgin brass and Remington Bullets. Ain't cheap. First time around, it costs about $.95 per round, but the cost goes way down as you reload the cases. Bullets are about $.38 each now. Powder + Primers about another $.18.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Ammo?
    Yugoslavian is top quality.
    I used to buy the Turkish 8mm ammo for 4 cents per round! It's dirty and folks say that it's a hot loading. I can't swear to that myself as I never noted that. Dirty.......yes, big time!

Rifles?
    I owned several Yugo 8mm rifles and give them a thumbs up! They are high quality and worth the money.

Turkish rifles? I've only owned one. When I worked at the prison, I brought rifles to the little trailer park where I lived on the grounds so I could refinish them.

I had ONE Turk rifle and disassembled it. I got to know that rifle pretty well. The rear sight base was braced with wire then soldered. It was ugly. The worst part was the difference in the barrel stub thread and the receiver ring thread. There was 1/2 thread difference in those screw threads. That Turks had a solution for that design flaw. TORQUE! They just jammed the two parts together and kept torquing it until the sights ended up on top! What a mess!

Yugo rifles are great.
    Turk rifles have questionable QC.

Flash

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    At 50 yards my yugo m48 mauser did 1 inch groups with yugo surplus, I recently put a mojo sight on it. Turkish anything is always going to be of suspect quality.

jtw2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Cedar Creek
    Every Turkish Mauser I've ever had looked like it had been worked on in a cave at some point in its life. My yugo m48 is the only Mauser I still own. I love the teak furniture and it shoots great

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    You can find original target sights for the Swedish mausers, making precision work a little more practical.
    If I ever come across a Swedish m38 carbine, it's going home with me.

marktx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    league city tx
    Have had Turks, Czechs, and a Swede. No Yugos but the turks were the nastiest and cheapest I've owned the Swede was by far the nicest even with the cock on closing which did'nt bother me.

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    That's a good point! The Czech VZ-24 is a fine rifle. I traded off my 8mm's but kept that VZ 24. That is some nice machinery!

FlASH

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    If you find a Swedish mauser, and the barrel is shot out. You can rebarrel it to 7mm mauser and enjoy a wider selection of bullet type as well as improved ballistics over the 6.5x55.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Post-war (+/- 1947) Turk ammo is horrible in my experience. I bought some of the stuff years ago, $20 for eight bandoleers of 70 rounds each. The cases were made out of something yellow-colored that looked and felt like junk coffee can metal, that would oxidize and turn brown within a few hours or so if you took it out of the bando/sealed Pelican case I keep it in.

My dad and a friend of mine all had to go through each bandoleer of ammunition, removing each bullet from the each of the 5-round stripper clips and wiggling the bullet in its seat after I noticed one afternoon while handling some, that the case neck actually cracked open down one side from the rim, and the bullet fell out. When we were done we had a pile going about 50 cartridges deep, all with live corrosive primers and no bullets in them because the case necks had all broken up, and this weird powder that smoked a lot and smelled horrible when it burnt.

I'll never buy such ammo again, even though with all the prices going up everywhere, you can still find people trying to cast off 2 or 3 bando's at a time for $20.

jtw2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Cedar Creek
    Post-war (+/- 1947) Turk ammo is horrible in my experience. I bought some of the stuff years ago, $20 for eight bandoleers of 70 rounds each. The cases were made out of something yellow-colored that looked and felt like junk coffee can metal, that would oxidize and turn brown within a few hours or so if you took it out of the bando/sealed Pelican case I keep it in.

My dad and a friend of mine all had to go through each bandoleer of ammunition, removing each bullet from the each of the 5-round stripper clips and wiggling the bullet in its seat after I noticed one afternoon while handling some, that the case neck actually cracked open down one side from the rim, and the bullet fell out. When we were done we had a pile going about 50 cartridges deep, all with live corrosive primers and no bullets in them because the case necks had all broken up, and this weird powder that smoked a lot and smelled horrible when it burnt.

I'll never buy such ammo again, even though with all the prices going up everywhere, you can still find people trying to cast off 2 or 3 bando's at a time for $20.

i got ahold of some 7.62 x .25 like that. Weird stuff

Top Bottom