• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    A guy on Accurate Shooter's painted a stock using Alcohol Ink's, and it looks great. So, I ordered some off Amazon along with some paint & makeup brushes to give it a try.
    I have several takeoff stocks lying around, so I can practice on them before I do this on one of my high $$$ stocks. I prepped and cleaned one of them, then painted it with a flat white base coat.
    Alcohol inks dry really fast, and are really thin, so you have to work pretty quick with them. It takes some practice to get the colors to look good, but once you figure out a system to work them, it's pretty easy. After your done, let it all dry, and then spray a few coats of clear paint over it. I used matte clear.
    Here's my first practice stock-
    1snjx7s.jpg

khvx6yq.jpg

cPeb596.jpg

FWpVAKu.jpg

X8BH2lf.jpg

JcxuDgt.jpg

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Very nice piece of work there but makes me wonder, why not get a real wood stock?

I must say though,, it reminds me of the front doors of our great-grandfather's and great-grandmother's three 6 family apartment houses way back. He used to paint the front doors like that but not with alcohol based paints, maybe oil or water based - not sure which but oil based paints were popular then. After painting them, they added a coat of varnish or shellac (which is a product containing alcohol). Came out looking like oak. The doors were old and weathered and I imagine were too much work to try to strip and refinish so they painted over them. It was the thing that almost all the landlords did to the front doors on their apartment buildings. Some though painted them rather ugly looking solid colors. The faux oak ones though were impressive and beautiful. As I recall, there was a tool that they used to etch the paint into different designs once it was applied atop the dried base color. Always came out nice and my great-grandfather was very good at it.

Looks like you are giving your kids and grand-kids, among whatever else you do for them, a talent by which to remember you.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Very nice piece of work there but makes me wonder, why not get a real wood stock?

I must say though,, it reminds me of the front doors of our great-grandfather's and great-grandmother's three 6 family apartment houses way back. He used to paint the front doors like that but not with alcohol based paints, maybe oil or water based - not sure which but oil based paints were popular then. After painting them, they added a coat of varnish or shellac (which is a product containing alcohol). Came out looking like oak. The doors were old and weathered and I imagine were too much work to try to strip and refinish so they painted over them. It was the thing that almost all the landlords did to the front doors on their apartment buildings. Some though painted them rather ugly looking solid colors. The faux oak ones though were impressive and beautiful. As I recall, there was a tool that they used to etch the paint into different designs once it was applied atop the dried base color. Always came out nice and my great-grandfather was very good at it.

Looks like you are giving your kids and grand-kids, among whatever else you do for them, a talent by which to remember you.

Glenn B, To answer your question, It's because I use Chassis style stocks on my precision rifles and they aren't made in wood. Plus, I enjoy being different!
    If KRG would sell me a LH Bravo chassis in another color than Black, I wouldn't be doing this, but they don't, and I don't want another Black stock on the new custom rifle that I'm building.
    I've painted Car's and Motorcycle's along with Firearm's for a long time, but I'd never seen anything done with these Alcohol Ink's and thought it was neat.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Nice!
    All the benefits of a synthetic stock (lightweight, weather resistant, durable, etc.) with the look of real wood! You would think the manufacturers would have come up with something like that by now. Who knows, maybe they have and I just had my head up my arse.

Wood on guns these days is an emotional choice. The people who want wood, want wood.

Very nice work OP, hard to believe that is your first

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Glenn B, To answer your question, It's because I use Chassis style stocks on my precision rifles and they aren't made in wood. Plus, I enjoy being different!
    If KRG would sell me a LH Bravo chassis in another color than Black, I wouldn't be doing this, but they don't, and I don't want another Black stock on the new custom rifle that I'm building.
    I've painted Car's and Motorcycle's along with Firearm's for a long time, but I'd never seen anything done with these Alcohol Ink's and thought it was neat.
    Well, that makes sense and as I said nice work!

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A guy on Accurate Shooter's painted a stock using Alcohol Ink's, and it looks great. So, I ordered some off Amazon along with some paint & makeup brushes to give it a try.
    I have several takeoff stocks lying around, so I can practice on them before I do this on one of my high $$$ stocks. I prepped and cleaned one of them, then painted it with a flat white base coat.
    Alcohol inks dry really fast, and are really thin, so you have to work pretty quick with them. It takes some practice to get the colors to look good, but once you figure out a system to work them, it's pretty easy. After your done, let it all dry, and then spray a few coats of clear paint over it. I used matte clear.
    Here's my first practice stock-
    1snjx7s.jpg

khvx6yq.jpg

cPeb596.jpg

FWpVAKu.jpg

X8BH2lf.jpg

JcxuDgt.jpg

That looks fantastic! What wood were you going for? It looks a lot like Walnut, especially that 4th pic which reminds me a lot of Claro Walnut or maybe one of the European varieties.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Never heard of that ink before. That looks great!

I hadn't either until I saw the thread on Accurate Shooter. It's mainly used by "Crafters" that use it for many things. Google Wood grain tumbler's, and there are many video's of women painting those stainless steel drink tumbler's with the ink's.

That looks fantastic! What wood were you going for? It looks a lot like Walnut, especially that 4th pic which reminds me a lot of Claro Walnut or maybe one of the European varieties.

Walnut was what I was trying to match as far as the color. I figured out how to make a burled wood look, but I need to figure out how to blend in the grain with it along with getting the colors to look right.
    KWSRiXE.jpg

4sou96n.jpg

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I hadn't either until I saw the thread on Accurate Shooter. It's mainly used by "Crafters" that use it for many things. Google Wood grain tumbler's, and there are many video's of women painting those stainless steel drink tumbler's with the ink's.

Walnut was what I was trying to match as far as the color. I figured out how to make a burled wood look, but I need to figure out how to blend in the grain with it along with getting the colors to look right.
    KWSRiXE.jpg

4sou96n.jpg

Burl is a challenge. There's so much variation in the grain direction and even the colors. That is definitely well on it's way through. That looks pretty darn good.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Nice!
    All the benefits of a synthetic stock (lightweight, weather resistant, durable, etc.) with the look of real wood! You would think the manufacturers would have come up with something like that by now. Who knows, maybe they have and I just had my head up my arse.
    In your defense you've been busy with copperhead apocalypse.

Top Bottom