• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Had plenty of fun at the ranch yesterday. Been seeing these guys on the game cam footage a lot. First one was tagged near the feeder at about 80 yards. I put two rounds into the second boar from 60 yards running at full speed into the mesquite scrub. Waited him out for about 30 mins, then went in looking for him. He was wounded but not critically, so we played cat and mouse in the thicket for about 20 mins. Finally I came around a cactus pile and he snarled and charged me from about 10 yards. 3 doses of Hornady V-MAX to the face stopped him cold. No need for a Starbucks; I wide wide-damn-awake after that.

SUNP0206.jpg

SUNP0722.jpg

IMG_2001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg
    Guns International

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    "Had plenty of fun at the ranch yesterday."

What part of the state is your lease located?

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    them are some dandy pigs Bigun, I can smell some swine on the pit already

Not this time. They were so covered in parasites that I decided to use them for coyote bait instead. I've seen pigs with ticks before, but this was just bad. After two hours, I came back to check. There were about two dozen caracaras and vultures feasting, but no dogs, and I had to go. Pretty cool, though.

crested-caracara-STANDING.jpg

Proof that a .223 will do the job!

True. I will also say this, which we all already know but I learned first-hand yesterday: those people who say "No one needs more than 7-8-9-whatever rounds in their gun" have NEVER been this close to an angry wild animal.

What part of the state is your lease located?

About an hour south of San Antone.

Last edited:

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I can remember having to call "Cease Fire" when wild hogs strayed into our firing positions in Germany. They were just as much a pest there as here. The only difference being they had to wander off the military reservation before they could be hunted by German hunters under the direction of a Jaeger Meister.

My most vivid recollection of German feral hogs was after a long gunnery exercise where we shot continuously for two days. When we got a break for hot chow, the hogs sniffed our food and literally climbed the steps of the MKT (Mobile Kitchen Trailer). The soldiers waiting their turn for hot food scattered as if their a$$es were on fire.

Not wanting to run afoul of German game law, our commander called the local game wardens. They showed up and promptly dispatched the offending hogs.

Not that it did any good in the long term ... this scenario played out time after time.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds like you did a lot better during the charge than this poor schlub - although, being French, I guess that's normal for them:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Was there a dog right behind that boar? Might have been why he passed on the shot.

Still, I think I'd have wished Fido luck and pulled the trigger.

Top Bottom