• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Mine sits behind my DL with them back to back.
    I can slip it from my wallet and if someone happens to see it they only see the back of it.

The only time I have ever been asked for a second form of ID I have just told them that I have to go home and get my passport, then ask, would a credit card work. Never had to go back home.

I don't want the clerk at the store to ask about it incase the guy behind me is the bad guy I may need to stop.
    Texas SOT

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I used mine as ID at Wally World the night before Thanksgiving. I was buying 4 boxes of 100rd Winchester white box 45 and a couple 100rd 9mm.:) The clerk was being a real whiny ass and telling me about how much his life sucked. He asked to see my ID and then declined it (it was cut at the DPS, waiting for the new one) I started to dig out the temporary, which was buried in the little ID pocket, but noticed my CHL just sitting in the slot. Pulled it out and handed it to him. He gave a big "well that'll work!" and sent me on my way. Funny how my CHL came 8 days after an address change, and I'm still waiting (It's been 35) for the DL..

Jeff B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Flower Mound, TX
    My CHL is also right behind my DL. I don't prefer to show it. Normally I use the military ID as the 2nd (it use to be primary and DL was secondary).

Same here. DL #1, Mil. ID #2.

One time, I left my license in the copier (kid needed copy to pay tuition) and had to fly out. I thought for a minute at security about using my CHL, but opted for the Mil. ID. Raninto an issue on the other end, when I went to pick up my rental car... no license, but they finally relented.

I don't think I want to use the CHL as ID unless I have no other option. Following the old "need to know" rule.

Jeff B.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Same here. DL #1, Mil. ID #2.

One time, I left my license in the copier (kid needed copy to pay tuition) and had to fly out. I thought for a minute at security about using my CHL, but opted for the Mil. ID. Raninto an issue on the other end, when I went to pick up my rental car... no license, but they finally relented.

I don't think I want to use the CHL as ID unless I have no other option. Following the old "need to know" rule.

Jeff B.

Yeah.......I accidently presented my CHL at the airport ticket counter which led to several minutes of questioning about did I have a weapon on me, in my bags etc and then extra hand-wand screening when I went through security. After that I moved my CHL to different place in my billfold. Now I worry about forgetting to present with my DL in the event I am pulled over on a trafffic violation. Can't win for losing!

Harley Rider 55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I cashed a check at the bank and as usual, used my DL and CHL as ID. The very attractive young teller told me she had gotten her CHL a few months before. Next thing you know, we're on a date...to the gun range.

APatriot

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2009
    Houston, Tx
    Using the CHL as a form of "routine" identification is not prudent in my opinion. I show it of course to LE, and at times at gun stores as I preview a weapon. Besides this, I keep it in my wallet. Once again, why bring "attention" to yourself. The only ones who will know I carry "heat" is LE, when required, and the "adam henry" I am about to shoot!!!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I'd use my CHL before I'll use a credit card - but what I usually tell 'em is that I have my DL - and if that's not good enough, then I'll simply go elsewhere.

Funny....I've not had to go elsewhere.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    I would think twice before using a CHL as a second ID anywhere except a gun store. Legally speaking, that is sort of a gray area and could be construed in the same manner as telling people you're armed, "brandishing", or whatever other term (can't think of the specific legal term) it goes by. Basically breaking concealment is what I'm getting at.

With all due respect this assertion is ridiculous.

If you are not showing or pulling your weapon then showing an ID is nothing more than that. It is not announcing you are carrying as you do not have to have a weapon to have a CHL.

smschulz

Paid for CUT
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    You would think that the CHL alone would be two ID's > it has your DL # on it.

I am always surprised that when you fill out the 4473 that they do require a DL when you present the CHL.

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas

I am always surprised that when you fill out the 4473 that they do require a DL when you present the CHL.

Odd...I have filled out several 4473s and the CHL was sufficient, except Wally World and that was a PITA..nevermore,

eriadoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Is 4473 the form you fill out when buying a handgun? Last handgun I bought, Collector's had me present both as well, which I thought was sort of silly, but whatever.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    ...for the same reasons we would get rashed at the thought of publicizing a CHL list. In our city/county/state.

SapperMapper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Killeen
    For the "OMG DOES THIS MEAN YOU'RE PACKING HEAT?!?" crowd, my answer is simple.

"No, it means I'm allowed to choose when to go armed. No more, no less."

And walk away and leave 'em guessing. If they're going to react that way, I don't have much to say to 'em anyway.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I thought long arms were legal to display in Texas (absolutely without the intention of causing alarm).

EDIT: But who gets to decide one's intentions, lol.....

I don't know if you calculated to cause alarm or not, so I did not address that part.

If you carried a long gun into the back in a manner calculated to cause alarm then you committed disorderly conduct.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom