0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    [url]http://www.kiiitv.com/news/area3news/74040892.html[/URL]

Manuel De La Rosa

Story Created: Nov 25, 2009 at 6:22 PM CST
    Story Updated: Nov 25, 2009 at 6:31 PM CST

(November 25, 2009)

ORANGE GROVE--In the small town of Orange Grove, A police officer is facing some disturbing allegations stemming from two different arrests and attorneys are working on filing a lawsuit.
    The officer is accused of abusing two different men last summer The victims claim he used a non lethal weapon, but it left them with some bad scars.
    Jose Ontiveros was shot ten times by a non-lethal rifle. It left 10 welts on his body the size of a grapefruit.
    The chief said the incident happened during a domestic dispute call last August.
    Ontiveros claims an officer shot him with these hard plastic shells containing lead, which are used for riot control.
    "I kept tell him to stop shooting me," said Ontiveros. "I am doing everything he is telling me to do and I didn't deserve it."
    Ontiveros claims he walked to the police cruiser to avoid being shot anymore.
    "While I was in a lot of pain, I didn't think I was going to die because I was walking," Ontiveros said. "Before I got to the car, I fell to my knees."
    The Orange Grove Police Department isn't commenting on the case. According to Ontiveros' attorneys, there is no criminal investigation going on, and no charges have been filed against the officer.
    It took a month for Ontiveros to recover.
    "I had to sleep on my side cause I couldn't sleep on the right side because it was really hurting," said Ontiveros.
    Another victim also came forward claiming he was shot by the same officer allegedly using the same weapon. He showed us his scar left from the July 4th incident.
    "It left a mark on me for awhile," said Roland Martin. "Still have a mark to this day and it wasn't justified because I was obeying what he was saying. I don't think it was right."
    A lawsuit is planned against the city of Orange Grove, alleging the weapon is being misused and could be deadly.
    "The fact that a weapon is being used without protective gear without training and causing this much damage to an individual," said Luis Barrera, an attorney, who represents both clients. "It's got to raise the question of what is going on in this police department."
    Capitol Armory ad

Top Bottom