• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    Two of my associates at work came to know that I’m an active shooter. They began asking questions, which led to an invitation to the gun range. They I spent individual time with each of them, teaching them the basics. They were apt students and learned quickly. When they hit the 10-ring the first time, there was no holding them back. After getting over the initial fear of controlling an explosive reaction in your hand, they were hooked.
    After our range session, we went for snacks and to chat about the experience. They were talking about buying their own guns. I encouraged them to wait, do more shooting, and take gun classes before making that call. Before our range visit, they had never held a gun in their hands. Now we have two enthusiastic shooters added to the ranks, soon to become gun owners.
    Texas SOT

Texas Patriot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Spring
    What type of weapons were they firing? Pistol or rifle? What model, caliber, all other essential facts.

Were the new shooters male or female, young or old, single or married?

Come on man, don't tease us by leaving out so many crucial facts.

BTW, good job on winning over 2 more converts.

LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    Both students are men. One of them recently immigrated to the States and he is going through the rigors of getting citizenship. He is a young Chinese man, late twenties. The other is a man from India, also working on citizenship. The Indian man is in his thirties and speaks very good English. He chose a Sig P229 as his training gun. The Chinese man was thinking about getting a Sig, but his English isn't perfect. I had safety concerns, so I convinced him to start out with a Glock 19. Both weapons were 9mm.

After they learned how to shoot - an shoot safely, they wanted to swap guns. The Indian guy who started out with the Sig, didn't last long with the Glock. He said it was like a toy. He went back to the Sig. The Chinese guy, who started out on the Glock said that he liked the Sig better. I guess they will be Sig shooters. They were'n't deterred after seeing the price tags for Sigs.

Their most immediate concern seemed to be how they could buy a gun and get it past their wives. My suggestion was, invite you wives to shoot with you. I didn't say anything about gun addiction. That's best left to... individual discovery.

I rekindled the spirit of a third colleague. She is a middle-aged woman, originally from Poland. She is an American citizen and speaks perfect English. Her father was in the military and used to take her shooting when she was a child. One one occasion her father took her for a ride in a Russian tank. She couldn't recall the model number, but it might have been a T2.

She heard that I was going to the range and asked to go along. We went through the basics and she began to recall her childhood learning. She selected a .22 and said that it was a lady's gun. She did well with it and was pleased that she could recall what her father taught her.

TJ Willy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    New shooters... excellent. As a previous range safety officer (SDReserves) new shooters came with a mixed bag of emotions. But it always worked out in the end. The unsafe/'power brokers' were weeded out pretty quickly.

LittleGun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2008
    Spring/Houston
    We had a big discussion about the right to keep and bear arms. They were surprised that anyone would want to take that right away. They asked me, Why do some people hate guns?" I said, "I don't know. The people who hate guns don't know why they hate guns." It is perplexing.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The reason they "hate" them is because they are emotionally "retarded". What I mean by that is, typically with the die hard anti's, they have the mentality of a 5 year old about stuff they don't understand. They vehemently despise things they don't understand, and even though all of the truth and facts are on our side, unfortunately you just can't reason with people like that. Think about trying to argue about facts with a 5 year old, and how futile it is, and it will start to make sense why those people are so incredibly stubborn and irrational. They are products of our modern, institutionalize, liberalized society.

kville79

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Austin
    I think that's awesome that you go those two guys hooked on shooting... my friend had some foreign exchange students staying at her house. So I ended up taking a French, a Serbian, and a German high school kid out to the back of her ranch to shoot rifles and shotguns.

They loved it, come to think of it I have never across a foreigner or a foreign raised US citizen who has ever turned me down to go shooting... but on the other hand I've had tons of American friends who refuse to even touch guns. Shows you how people who don't usually have second amendment rights really do appreciate them a bit more here in the states.

Top Bottom