• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Just curious, on my new savage 110 ba stealth 300 win mag, should I put a 20 or even a 30 moa base on it? Or leave the flat factory base?

2nd question is should I put my new Schmidt and Bender PM II scope on the 300 win mag or keep it on my Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor? or should I put my Vortex HST 24x50 on the creedmoor?

The Schmidt and Bender is a 25x56 FFP Mil/Mil vs my Vortex HST is a 24X50 2fp Moa/Moa
    Venture Surplus ad

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Cant of base should be factored in off of the optic choice. If the scope is on the low side of elevation travel get more cant.

Put the better scope on the gun you plan to be behind more often.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Cant of base should be factored in off of the optic choice. If the scope is on the low side of elevation travel get more cant.

Put the better scope on the gun you plan to be behind more often.
    I edited my first post please re read so you have more info Thanks!

Also Vortex has 65 moa of elevation and the Schmidt and Bender has 27 mil of elevation

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I would likely still base the decision on which you plan to shoot the most. Good glass is very forgiving when more time is spent behind it. That being said the if the 300 is to see elr type use then the good glass is appreciated there as well.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Use the factory base until you need to get the extra elevation. O MOA is fine for a long distance with either scope.

Take the factory base off, clean the oil off, and blue Loctite it down. Many reports of it coming loose at the range.

Remove the action from the stock and clean all that oil up too. I don't Loctite action screws though.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ballistically speaking, the 300 deserves the better scope but I would put it on which ever rifle you are going to compete with.

Range trips and Texas hunting generally aren't too hard on scopes. Competing and tripping on cats are.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I'm just curious. What are you trying to knock down and at what distance that the 6.5 with the proper bullet won't do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    gonna wait for a few more ideas but I am leaning to putting the better scope on the 300 for longer range. and when I say longer range I am talking 1000+

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    I'm just curious. What are you trying to knock down and at what distance that the 6.5 with the proper bullet won't do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    I am so gonna get shit for this. lol If shit hit the fan would you take a 6.5 or a 300 win mag?

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    Put the S&B on the rifle that will be shot the most. The more you use the high quality optics,the more high quality optics you will want. I know this for a fact,I need to hit the lottery to replace all my $1k+ optics with $3k+ optics.
    Once you use top shelf scopes,everything else SUCKS!

I'd definitely install a 20moa rail on the 300 WM,no matter what scope you choose to use.

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Put the S&B on the rifle that will be shot the most. The more you use the high quality optics,the more high quality optics you will want. I know this for a fact,I need to hit the lottery to replace all my $1k+ optics with $3k+ optics.
    Once you use top shelf scopes,everything else SUCKS!

I'd definitely install a 20moa rail on the 300 WM,no matter what scope you choose to use.
    After searching the internet and not finding any real info I contacted MDT the manufacturer that made the chassis system and the scope base for my savage stealth 300 win mag. The factory base is in fact a 20 moa rail. I gave them the model number on the bottom of the base and they pulled the spec sheet up on it and let me know its 20 moa.

Also I am not sure which will be shot more. I have yet to fire the 300. Just waiting to go to my gun club to go shoot. It goes to 2200 yards if I remember correctly.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    If the SHTF are you really worried about those 2200 yards out? I'd be going light, less weight in firearms the more weight of extra cartridges would be my concern.

DwnRange

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2015
    Both scopes are on the heavy side - I'd place the heavier scope on the lighter rifle and vice-versa for the lighter rifle. That S&B is a boat anchor at 38+ oz......, one of the reasons I avoid "BIG" objectives and prefer 40mm scopes to get minimal height-over-bore.

(as to the 20-30mm rail - yes!, but then I shoot LR)

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    All your questions are good ones.

All answers must be predicated own your intended purposes.

So much matters on........

You punching paper at 100-200 yards?
    Taking sheep in British Colombia?
    Picking our nitrocellulose-based brains?
    Killing skunks inside city limits?
    Compensating for shortcomings?
    Prepping for the inevitable zombie apocalypse?
    Adding a toy to a majestic collection for occasional outings?
    Harvesting S Tx 100 pound doe?

All so necessary for formulation of answers to your pertinent questions.

I spent the weekend shooting 1" groups with my buddy's 6.5mm handloads at 200 yards, topped with his 25x Vortex. It's my new darling. Were it a 300MW I'da been flinching!

The Vortex is a good scope.
    The S&B is world class.

Any of your four permutations will kill anything within a sane distance in this Republic so far as I know.

We don't know your needs but if I were asking Santa for one I'd take the S&B on the 6.5.
    Jes' me.

HKS

Last edited:

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm a fan of ffp scopes. I will not consider sfp for lr or elr. My go to rifle is my 6.5 savage lrp. It is a COMPLETE pussy cat. I can shoot that rifle all day with no discomfort, especially with the can on it. I had a more expensive scope on my 338lm... after time in the saddle I took that scope off and put it on top of my 6.5c. The 6.5 gets more trigger time do to recoil getting old with the 338.

And like the others said.. clean those base screws and lock tight. My first time out with the 338 the whole base came loose. Forcing me to pack up and go to the house to repair.

Josh

Top Bottom