• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kylepaddock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    I am new to Texas. I am wanting to buy a handgun for safety/defense. What are the rules about buying one? What do I need to do?
    Target Sports

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    You can carry it in your vehicle concealed, at home or a place of business (if your boss allows it in the building-if not, keep it in your car).

Sent from Hicksville.....or while dreaming of Hicksville

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I am new to Texas. I am wanting to buy a handgun for safety/defense. What are the rules about buying one? What do I need to do?

You need to have a clean criminal record - no felonies, no domestic violence. Need to not have been adjudicated mentally unfit. Oh, and you need money. That's about it.

If you buy at a store (FFL), you'll fill out a Form 4473 - it's a federal background check form, not a registration. No big deal, just fill out the questions, it's easy. Buying off a private seller, the rules are pretty much whatever you agree to. There's no background check requirement on private sales in TX, and there's no registration in TX.

What part of TX did you move to?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You can carry it in your vehicle concealed, at home or a place of business (if your boss allows it in the building-if not, keep it in your car).

Sent from Hicksville.....or while dreaming of Hicksville

The law does not allow carry at "your place of business" unless you are in control of the premises or you have a CHL. Car carry has 4 important restrictions.

OP, look at my guide here: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/texas-concealed-handgun-chl/25662-overview-texas-gun-laws.html

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Thanks a lot. The only place that I would have the gun would be concealed in the house and in the car.

Don't deprive yourself of your God-given right to self defense! Get your CHL and carry like a proud new Texan!

Plus, if HB700 ever makes it up for a vote; you might be able to open carry with that CHL one day!

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom