• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Although I enjoy shooting and outdoor activities like fishing, hiking, camping; I have never hunted before. I'm planning to try squirrel hunting with 22LR this year to get started. I bought a Marlin 60 and a 3x9 scope to use for squirrels and will get it sited in this coming weekend.

I live in the Spring / Tomball area (NW Houston) and was thinking of starting in the Sam Houston National Forest. Can anyone comment on which (if any) areas in the national forest are decent for squirrels? Should I be trying public lands in east TX instead?

I have read on the general things to look for in locating squirrels (types of trees, nests, water sources, etc), but have not had the time to scout out locations yet. I'm not looking to encroach on anyone's sweet spots, just looking for general guidance so I do not waste a lot of time in unproductive areas.

Thanks for any advice,
    ARJ Defense ad

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    What goes up must come down. I'd be careful shooting skyward on public land, even with a .22. You might wind up with some much bigger rounds being sent back your way if you're hunting during deer season.

texas1willy2

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    woodlands
    Hunting in the national forest can be tricky, there are many rules and if you don't figure everything out ahead you will get a ticket or more.
    Also I don't know when squirrel season is but, I WOULD NOT GO DURING DEER SEASON.
    There are some strange cats that hunt national forest, especially guys that live real close be advised.
    I've spent some time in Sam Houston, theres lots of pines not a lot of hardwoods... you'll need to find hardwoods.
    Sorry I realize this is not what you were looking for but the first two sentences are very important.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Hunting in the national forest can be tricky, there are many rules and if you don't figure everything out ahead you will get a ticket or more.
    Also I don't know when squirrel season is but, I WOULD NOT GO DURING DEER SEASON.
    There are some strange cats that hunt national forest, especially guys that live real close be advised.
    I've spent some time in Sam Houston, theres lots of pines not a lot of hardwoods... you'll need to find hardwoods.
    Sorry I realize this is not what you were looking for but the first two sentences are very important.

texas1willy2 and TXSUT, thanks for the advice. As you said, not what I was looking for, but very valuable information. There are a few windows in squirrel seasons around deer seasons; October, late January, and May - provided those "strange cats" don't poach!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    My squirrel season is a quiet pellet gun to keep those buggers from trearing up my parent's bird feeders.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    As far as i know from reading the TPW booklet, there is no closed season or bag limit on tree rats. But there may be special rules of the particular land you will be hunting on. You can call the TPW office and ask.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    I'm in the same situation as jgedmund, but live in the DFW area. Looking for good places to get my feet wet in the world of hunting. I've also consider various bird hunting (shotgun), along with varmit hunting. Are there even any mountainous areas in North Central Texas? Disclaimer: I'm new to Texas and haven't had the opportunity to do much research in this area yet - so go easy on me. :)

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    As far as i know from reading the TPW booklet, there is no closed season or bag limit on tree rats. But there may be special rules of the particular land you will be hunting on. You can call the TPW office and ask.

Most East TX counties have a squirrel season of Oct. 1 - Feb. 6 and May 1 - 31 with a bag limit of 10. Many counties allow year-round squirrel hunting with a bag limit of 10 and some counties have no open season - so it depends on where you are in TX.

Looking at the TX APH handbook, there are several WMA's that only allow small game hunting, so I can stay away from the public land, deer hunting crazies that several posters referred to. One area is the Keechi WMA in Leon county. Anybody hunt this land recently or know anything about it? It is only open for a few days a year, so I can't go scout it out.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    I'm in the same situation as jgedmund, but live in the DFW area. Looking for good places to get my feet wet in the world of hunting. I've also consider various bird hunting (shotgun), along with varmit hunting. Are there even any mountainous areas in North Central Texas? Disclaimer: I'm new to Texas and haven't had the opportunity to do much research in this area yet - so go easy on me. :)

A very brief, general description for you: most of the mountains in TX are way out west: Guadalupe, Davis, Chisos, around El Paso, etc. Several areas are in national parks and hunting is not allowed. The central part of the state has the hill country which are rocky, arid, and scrub covered (mesquite, oak, etc). East TX has low rolling hills mostly forested with pine and hardwoods (in the bottom land).

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I looked at hunting Texas State Park lands one time. From West Texas, I would have to travel way too far. Finding a place to hunt without spending a fortune around here has gotton tough!

yeah. not many critters fit to eat out here where i am and dove season dont last forever. :-\ ever since they built all those new houses down 46 there arent any mroe rabbits around. or squirrels for that matter.

leonidas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2010
    Plano
    A very brief, general description for you: most of the mountains in TX are way out west: Guadalupe, Davis, Chisos, around El Paso, etc. Several areas are in national parks and hunting is not allowed. The central part of the state has the hill country which are rocky, arid, and scrub covered (mesquite, oak, etc). East TX has low rolling hills mostly forested with pine and hardwoods (in the bottom land).

Thank you for he overview, Jim!

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    yeah. not many critters fit to eat out here where i am and dove season dont last forever. :-\ ever since they built all those new houses down 46 there arent any mroe rabbits around. or squirrels for that matter.

All the squirrels moved to Austin and live mostly south of Town Lake along Congress Ave...not a "season" or bag limit, persay, but you can't "bait" them by offering free chi-tea latte's or any kind of enviromental bumper stickers..."majic" brownies ARE still allowed in certain areas along the nature trails in Zliker park...

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    All the squirrels moved to Austin and live mostly south of Town Lake along Congress Ave...not a "season" or bag limit, persay, but you can't "bait" them by offering free chi-tea latte's or any kind of enviromental bumper stickers..."majic" brownies ARE still allowed in certain areas along the nature trails in Zliker park...

HAH! see i have been relying on shroom honey waffles out here...

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    Well I went to Keechi WMA east of Centerville this morning for my inaugural squirrel hunt. Only saw 3 and got one of them with the Marin 60. Fried squirrel with gravy, biscuits, and mashed potatoes for lunch Sunday!

Lots of guys in the woods, mostly using shotguns and some using dogs. Nice 1500 acre WMA and with a little work on my technique (patience), I think I could do a lot better. Keechi WMA is only open 4 days this year (10/8, 10/15, 10/16, and 11/12) due to a private easement issue. I plan to go back 11/12 and hopefully will do better.

On 10/24 I plan to go to Gus Engeling WMA and then again sometime during the week of 11/22 - 11/28. Both of these WMA's and several others have no deer hunting only small game and / or birds.

Top Bottom