Lynx Defense

TX State Board of Education's advisory panel suggests Alamo defenders not 'heroic'

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/educ...ttee-suggests-removing-word-texas-curriculum/

Until now, Texas state curriculum has urged the idea of heroics taught to seventh graders in a required history course, along with a careful study of Travis's letter written in the year Texas gained independence from Mexico.

But working groups of educators and historians, tasked with streamlining social-studies standards, have advised the Texas Board of Education to remove a focus on “heroic” acts at the Alamo, calling the term “value-loaded,” according to a draft of their recommendations. Those changes should free up about 90 minutes of class time, the working group said.

Current curriculum requires study of “all the heroic defenders.” That language makes the list of figures — which include legendary frontiersmen Davy Crockett and James Bowie — too long to cover, the working groups said. The groups also suggested much less focus on Travis's letter.

http://www.travisletter.com/the-letter.html
    I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna - I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man - The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken - I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls - I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch - The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country - Victory or Death.

William Barret Travis.

Once again, liberals are trying to rewrite history! Call or email the board of education members and let them know how displeased you are. Contact info below.

We learned late yesterday that a recommendation has been made for vote on Tuesday to the State Board of Education to remove from the curriculum of Texas’ 4th and 7th graders the word “hero” or “heroic” or the like from anything that refers to the defenders of the Alamo. In addition, it has been recommended that the Travis Victory or Death speech be revised or eliminated for our Texas History Curriculum for school children. It is time for us as Texans to act to protect what is dearest to us all – our Texas heritage and the notion of Texas as part of our hearts and souls. Please use the following contact information and let your thoughts be known. Please forward this information to your respective groups. We don’t have much time.. let’s get the word out!!

curriculum@tea.texas.gov

Main Switchboard: (512) 463-9734

Curriculum (512) 463-9581

Members:

Dist 1: Georgina C. Pérez (D) 1401 Montana, Suite I El Paso, TX 79902 (915) 261-8663 georgina.perez@tea.texas.gov

Dist 2: Ruben Cortez, Jr. (D) 1875 Los Angeles Ct. Brownsville, TX 78521 (956) 639-9171 ruben.cortez@tea.texas.gov

Dist 3: Marisa B. Perez-Diaz (D) P.O. Box 1055 Converse, TX 78109 (512) 422-9019 marisa.perez@tea.texas.gov

Dist 4: Lawrence A. Allen Jr. (D) 3717 Cork Dr. Houston, TX 77047 (713) 203-1355 sboesupport@tea.texas.gov

Dist 5: Ken Mercer (R) P.O. Box 781301 San Antonio, TX 78278-1301 (512) 463-9007 ken.mercer@tea.texas.gov

Dist 6: Donna Bahorich (R) P.O. Box 79842 Houston, TX 77279 (832) 303-9091 donna.bahorich@tea.texas.gov

Dist 7: David Bradley (R) 2165 North Street Beaumont, TX 77701 (409) 835-3808 sboesupport@tea.texas.gov

Dist 8: Barbara Cargill (R) 15257 Runnymede Street Conroe, TX 77384 (512) 463-9007 sboecargill@sbcglobal.net

Dist 9: Keven Ellis (R) P.O. Box 151453 Lufkin, TX 75915 (512) 710-7915 ellisSBOE@gmail.com

Dist 10: Tom Maynard (R) P.O. Box 625 Florence, TX 76527 (512) 763-2801 (512) 532-9517 FAX tom@maynardfortexas.com

Dist 11: Patricia Hardy (R) 1109 Roaring Springs Road Fort Worth, TX 76114 (817) 732-1786 pat.hardy@tea.state.tx.us

Dist 12: Geraldine "Tincy" Miller (R) 4 Lakeside Park Dallas, TX 75225 (214) 522-1610 (214) 522-8560 FAX tincymiller35@gmail.com

Dist 13: Erika Beltran (D) P.O. Box 17196 Fort Worth, TX 76102 (650) 269-8544 EBeltranSBOE@gmail.com

Dist 14: Sue Melton-Malone (R) 125 E. Dawn Robinson, TX 76706 (254) 749-0415 smelton51@gmail.com

Dist 15: Marty Rowley (R) P.O. Box 2129 Amarillo, TX 79105 (806) 374-4600 (806) 220-2812 FAX marty@martyrowley.com
    Lynx Defense

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Although I would agree that some, if not all movies about the Alamo, may not have depicted the facts accurately, and using "Birth of a Nation", which was more of a political film for the times, and is terribly inaccurate. Heroism to me is someone facing what could be a certain death in doing ones duty, and those that stood against impossible odds at the Alamo most certainly did.

Many on the left are using this as a racial thing, when in all actuality the majority of those who fought and died were Hispanic and they stood side by side with the likes of Travis, Crockett and Bowie.

I do believe that many would like to hide the fact that there was racial inequality in the attempt that it would somehow erase racism today. Hopefully this will be voted down since that is one of the biggest parts of Texas's heritage.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    As a kid back in the 50's I played on the lawn of the Alamo with my buddies. One of the things we learned was self sacrifice, we knew they all died and we knew these were brave, HEROIC men.

That said, this never made me feel any anger towards Mexicans, heck we were all playing on the lawn of the Alamo together.

But the far left wants to rewrite history of ANYTHING American.

Perhaps this begs the question, what would we look like today if Texas was still Mexico?

Mexico across the Rio Grande from El Paso.

3172605879_9047f46cb7_o_d.jpg

Dirty, crime ridden, dangerous place to live, nothing but squalor and slums.

This could be San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Ft Woth...Tejas!

And this pic. This is the El Paso border crossing, one might note the Mexican side they are lined up to get in and go to work, the US side, almost no traffic at all:

705ElPaso_border.jpg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The term hero is overused today. But if anyone was ever deserving of the word hero, the Alamo defenders were such. Hugely overwhelming odds. They knew they were going to die. They had plenty of time to think about it. They had the opportunity to leave. Yet they stayed, fought and died for the cause of Texas independence.

And if anyone wants to talk about racism, have them explain Juan Seguin and others.

I am so sick of liberals trying to reinvent history to match their narrative.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Well after all, their reason NOT to call them "heroes" is because "heroes" is a "value charged" word. Kinda like calling Josef Stalin a murderer for killing several million of his countrymen, and the word "murderer" is just another "value charged" word. Maybe calling December 7, 1941 a "day that will live in infamy" is just use of "value charged" words. Think about it, these moronic "educators" allegedly teach your children and grandchildren.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

ImVho, it's time for every ISD to weigh in on this issue & simply/firmly state that IF you are a teacher of history & you want to teach the REVISIONIST & so-called "social justice" garbage to our public school students that you RESIGN your job & feel free to peddle that LEFTIST nonsense elsewhere.
    (Perhaps these "teachers", who are actually propagandists, would be happier if they took a job in NY, New England, MI, WI or in some other "liberal" State.)

just my OPINION, satx

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well after all, their reason NOT to call them "heroes" is because "heroes" is a "value charged" word. Kinda like calling Josef Stalin a murderer for killing several million of his countrymen, and the word "murderer" is just another "value charged" word. Maybe calling December 7, 1941 a "day that will live in infamy" is just use of "value charged" words. Think about it, these moronic "educators" allegedly teach your children and grandchildren.
    And this is why we home school....

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    It's easier to erase a culture if you obfuscate their history. Marxism rides again.

Thread winner. White people cant be proud about anything.

Also from that article : “Teachers want kids to be critical thinkers,” she said.
    I read, "Teachers are mostly communist degenerates who want kids to be taught their version of history and nothing else. Only have pride if your skin isnt white"

Obviously, not all teachers are bad but nothing will change until these people are afraid to leave their houses

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Would someone please tell me WHY the WASHINGTON COMpost is sticking their long noses into Texas affairs??

Just ONE of the things that intensely dislike about the folks from up north is that they just can't seem to tend to their own business & let everyone else alone to take care of their own affairs.

I once lived up there in DC, MD, NY & WI when I was in the Army & I found the "opinion makers" to be prejudiced, arrogant, half-educated, self-righteous, sanctimonious & "oh so sure of their superiority" to everyone in the USA, who disagrees in any small detail with their LOONY, revisionist & LEFTIST opinions.

Personally, I believe that it's PAST time to tell the "crusading", BIGOTED leftists to get lost.

As to the majority DC & NY "newspapers" & TV "talking heads" they need to figure out that their opinions are NOT the only valid opinions & possibly that their theory is the permanent MINORITY opinion, too.
    (Those same LEFTIST "opinion leaders" are the same "experts" who just could NOT believe that there was any chance that Donald Trump would defeat Hillary ROTTEN Clinton by a huge margin in the Electoral College & become POTUS.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    It looks like all calls and emails worked this time.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...visory-group-reverses-alamo-curriculum-change

A Texas education committee has backtracked on its recommendations to remove curriculum requirements referencing Alamo fighters as "heroic" and a famous letter written during the siege.

The Texas State Board of Education received hundreds of calls and emails after the committee of teachers, parents and business representatives recommended the changes this spring. The board nominates a volunteer group every year to review curriculum standards.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Now if we can just get this shit with a reimagined Alamo killed.

Mayor of SA let it slip in an interview today that one of the goals was to honor Santa Ana and the (mostly conscripted) Mexican army for their participation at the Alamo.

I’ll tell you what; if it weren’t for the heroic defenders at the Alamo, that place wouldn’t be standing today and San Antonio wouldn’t be so focused on tourism as a huge sector of their economy.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

Pardon me for pointing out thatr the TSTA just got their fat rears kicked (soundly) by a large number of ordinary Texicans, who were UNWILLING for the memories our HERO-MARTYRS to be denigrated by a few PD-DUMMIES.
    (The public school teachers who really don't understand WHY our Alamo martyrs are VERY SPECIAL should consider going to teach their LEFTIST FOOLISHNESS in another State.)

just my OPINION, satx

Cvhjr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2013
    Now if we can just get this shit with a reimagined Alamo killed.

Mayor of SA let it slip in an interview today that one of the goals was to honor Santa Ana and the (mostly conscripted) Mexican army for their participation at the Alamo.

I’ll tell you what; if it weren’t for the heroic defenders at the Alamo, that place wouldn’t be standing today and San Antonio wouldn’t be so focused on tourism as a huge sector of their economy.

How could anyone honor Santa Ana? Had a vastly superior trained and equipped army and he and General Cos were running rough shod over the State - when his piss poor military tactics and ego got his ass kicked - he was captured trying to sneak away - got an untold number of his solders killed in the bayou and he gave away/lost the entire country to save his own ass. He was an idiot. He was an embarrassment to his nation. He sure as hell wasn’t a hero . The mayor of SA ought learn some history. Or maybe Santa Ana was a long lost relative of Mayor’s. .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom