• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    Well I have been here in Tx 5 years now and just got my first Jury duty notice to serve some time in Nov-Dec with my luck it will be dec 24th LOL.

We all bitch and moan about it <ok most do> i don't get paid to go from work so that sucks but I will go if called and do my duty and try to remain fair but have to admit if its a typical gang banger look even if dressed up they will have negative points going in at least from me but I will be open minded. If we hear they are a career criminal I doubt they will want me on the Jury but again I will keep an open mind.

Ah well
    grumble grumble grumble
    Military Camp

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    The defense and prosecution both screen you and if you can make either side afraid of you, they will dismiss you. I'm not telling you to lie. That would be wrong. Just don't be afraid to speak your mind.

My last jury duty was for a trial for a guy who doesn't speak English and had killed somebody while driving drunk. The defense asked us to raise our hands if we lost friends to drunk drivers. When they got to me, I told them that I lost 3 friends, and both crimes were committed by illegals. She couldn't get me out of the pool fast enough.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Do what you can to get on a jury. There needs to be at least one smart person on it, and that may be you. Jurors are the judge in jury trials. Be a good judge. Judge the evidence and the law. It is your duty to do this.

They normally don't list priors, because it paints a negative picture of the defendant. Hell, if you listed my priors you might judge me to be a piece of crap. I'm not that guy anymore and haven't been for a long time. Base your decision on facts, not feelings, or emotions, or any personal bias you may have. Don't use this opportunity to " stick it to the man" just because you want the little guy to win. It is an honor to serve on a jury, treat it as such. This is our last opportunity to have a direct effect on the legal system. Do what is right.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    the main thing that makes me ok with serving is I hope the people in the Jury box on a trial I am actually in would be willing to listen to what happened and not just vote the same way as the others to get it over with lol.

I know there are reformed and good people with bad luck but then there are those that just chose to be bad and if they dont want to live in a civil way should all be dumped in a "Escape from New York" setting and live the way they want to :)

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    I have been called to jury selection twice. The first time I actually knew the person standing trial. Its a interesting experience that's for sure.

Sent from the Bacon isle at your local grocery store.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Just went through this two weeks ago. Second time time in less than six months by the way. And the fourth in my short 45+ years. Just answer each and or all questions honestly and with your beliefs and convictions, and you'll be fine. To be honest, there are at least one or two juries I REALLY did want to serve on.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I got a jury duty letter while stationed overseas. When they were informed that i was overseas they took me out of the pool, i havent been back in the pool since.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I had to sit through jury selection for a capital crime, where a fellow was murdered in his home by a paid hit-man.

When the Defense attorney asked me what I thought about the death penalty in Texas, I told her that if the defendant was found guilty I would vote to have him hanged publicly instead of quietly be put to sleep on a gurney in Huntsville. When she reminded me that Texas does not hang the guilty, I told her I'd pick the electric chair.

Got a check for $15.00 for my time (which paid for bus fare and lunch at McDonald's), and was quickly excused from jury duty. Sadly, I really wanted to serve on that jury!

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Been called a few times. Once I got out of it because I had class. Once I got out of it because I had a conflicting appointment at another court. The last time, I was not selected.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Jury duty kicks my butt. However as stated earlier they deserve a fare trial with a competent jury. And quite frankly I am believing in everyone else less and less.

CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I wouldn't mind if I wasn't called so often. They say it's random but I've been called 3 times since I moved to Denton County in 2000.

I served the first time because it was a civil trial and I really didn't have any bias even though I didn't want to serve.

The next two times I was called it was criminal. I could not honestly say I had no bias. Once the defendant was an ex-cop and the prosecution didn't like my answer about favoring LEO's because of my law enforcement background. Well, gee, if the guy killed his wife he should hang, I'm just saying I'm going to give his story more credence because he's a cop. Don't ask me about bias and get all pissy when I'm honest.

The last time was for a drunk-driving case and I honestly couldn't do it. All I could see were all the guys I had booked into the jail hammered out of their heads.

I really think former law enforcement should have an optional exemption on the jury reporting form. After that second criminal case I was trying to think of what circumstances I could serve on a jury for a criminal case where I could be objective and I'll be damned if I could think of one.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I enjoy jury duty - though I really don't enjoy dealing with some of the lawyers. If you've never been impaneled, let me say that it's nothing like you see on TV or the movies. I've been very proud to serve with the other folks that were on the same juries with me.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Voire dire is interesting enough for me. I've always been excluded but the experiences, even going just that far, have been educational. Last time (I've told the story before so I won't repeat it here) the prosecutor was doing such a stellar job of losing her case before it even started that SHE, the prosecutor, actually introduced the topic of jury nullification and explained it to us. And, of course, told us it was a terrible thing that we should never do.

It was hard to keep from laughing at a prosecutor who couldn't get through the first hour of voire dire without pleading with the jury not to nullify. ;)

Just for the record, if I'm ever selected I will consider it an honor to serve.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    been called several times over the years, never was seated. It seemed that most of them made a deal. But i would be honest if asked that i do tend to believe a leo side.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    So having my 2 close in age Nephews both detectives in Cali. I grew up with them I was an uncle at 6 :) If I don't want to serve I should be sure and talk about how awesome they are and how cool all the ride a longs I have done were and getting to laugh and poke at all the scumbags we hassled. its funny how easy they can spot a gangster and its even funnier the comments made by the gangster when they see who busted them. One of them was on a gang task force for several years.

One look and they will probably not want me on the panel I am 6"3' 300lbs and was blessed with baldness at about the age of 19 so have had a shaved head for years. I typically wear redwing steel toed boots jeans and t-shirt and they are warn because I use steel toes at work and like to get a new pair and brake them in before I have to wear them for a 10 hour day and I hate the thought of trashing a new 200 pair of boots without getting some good use out of them .

but again if seated I will do what is right.

Top Bottom