• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    I know that it can be used on brass but am reading more and more about cleaning guns and parts with it.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

I am looking at getting the Hornady magnum cleaner
    Lynx Defense

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Pretty sure the Hornady cleaner is made in China. It'll work, but it won't last.

There's another thread about ultrasonic cleaners in this section.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I bought an ultrasonic cleaner at Harbor Freight cheaper (I think) than the one's they are selling for "reloaders" and it's lasted me for at least a year. It was cheap so I'll go with it until it breaks but it looks exactly like the ones Hornady, etc. sell. I think mine was about $69 or so. Just a thought.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I love using mine, both on my work pistol and the bolt carrier group of my AR15. TexasRedneck got me one for Christmas and I've loved it since. Almost two years old. Chicago is the manufacturer.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    So i bought a cleaner.

I have been using it for brass so far. I was very happy with the results, but after they dried they lost there luster.

After I work through this solution I planning on dropping some parts in to test. Probably won't start with the bolt groups...

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Start with the bcg....it's nothing special....just a parts cleaner. Those casings would get their luster back if you polished them again. Just drop in the bcg for about 4 minutes, pull it out, then oil it. I just finished my sig p226r, two ar15s, an Ak74, and a shotgun.......cleans so much faster and neater.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Anybody using ultrasonic cleaner to get the gunk out of non-disassemble suppressors??? Got a .22LR one that I have been blasting with break cleaner to clean it up, but want to do a better job.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Ultrasonic cleaner won't shine brass. But it cleans inside and out (including primer pockets). When mine come out of the ultrasonic cleaner I just use my air hose to blow the water out of the case and off the outside, lay 'em on a towel and they are dry in a few minutes. I polished my brass when I first started reloading but figured out pretty quick it had no effect on anything. They were nice and shiny until I fired the new loads. Not worth the time just to make them look pretty while they are waiting to be fired!

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    Ultrasonic cleaner won't shine brass. But it cleans inside and out (including primer pockets). When mine come out of the ultrasonic cleaner I just use my air hose to blow the water out of the case and off the outside, lay 'em on a towel and they are dry in a few minutes. I polished my brass when I first started reloading but figured out pretty quick it had no effect on anything. They were nice and shiny until I fired the new loads. Not worth the time just to make them look pretty while they are waiting to be fired!

Thats the conclusion I have been coming to. They look good on the inside and outside. (a bit of staining but nothing too bad) Since I am primarily doing pistols I haven't been depriming before hand. I might try a couple different solutions to see if I can shiny brass because i like shiny things

Top Bottom