• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Yes on my single stage rounds I tumble after case sizing but most of my single stage rounds I only neck size for the most part with a lee collet neck die so I don't have to deal with case lube very often. The rounds that get annoying are the ones I shoot higher volumes of which is 223 and 300blk and are loaded on my Dillon. I don't buy the kernels getting broken down, my 223 loads are compressed or right at 100% case volume, and my 300blk loads are damn near full as well. Theres just not a lot of room for the powder to move around in the case. Many people tumble their loaded rounds in dry media, Ive just been trying to figure a fast/easy way to clean case lube off without having to buy one. Ive got a ss tumbler and now this ultrasonic, Id rather not buy a dry tumbler but if that's what it takes I will to keep from dealing with cleaning them individually.

With that said Ill try any new method in a small test sample before going hog wild.
    ARJ Defense ad

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    It is recommended that you do not tumble or vibrate loaded rounds. The action breaks down the powder kernels and can change the burn rate.

I tumble my cases after sizing but before loading to remove the case lube and it works great. I size in a single stage press, tumble, then load them. Sometimes I use a progressive to load them depending on what I am loading for.

I have heard that too buuuuttt how do we explain away the fact that some mfgs tumble their live ammo. As for the vibration breaking down powders how do we explain away the point at which a bullet is cased to when it is finally fired? The amount of trucking it took to get it there hould shake that poor bastard to bits! lol

I don't believe the myth.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have heard that too buuuuttt how do we explain away the fact that some mfgs tumble their live ammo. As for the vibration breaking down powders how do we explain away the point at which a bullet is cased to when it is finally fired? The amount of trucking it took to get it there hould shake that poor bastard to bits! lol

I don't believe the myth.
    It is one of those "just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't happen" type of things. I don't personally think tumbling ammo for a half hour is going to have catastrophic consequences either but that doesn't make it a safe practice.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I still have not used mine but going to try it on a 22/45 this holiday. Looks like that BCG came out real nice.

I ran three Glocks through mine the other night. I regularly clean them after use and store them appropriately, but I know there's nooks and crannies I didn't reach. Dried them, oiled them (making sure to put drops of oil in the appropriate holes and then shake around/bump around to ensure it's distributed AND did the same thing when drying them since the parts get immersed). I might clean them again then bake the parts at 150 or so to ensure they're dry before I re-oil them... maybe with the Turkey on Thursday? :)

All that to say the water was FILTHY when I was done. Perhaps some of that was existing gun oil coming off, but there was definitely fouling I couldn't otherwise reach that came off. I was impressed. I should have done this earlier.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    Sounds good Mreed. There is no joy in cleaning 22/45's. There are places inside the chamber that a tooth pick and two hours wont clean. I am hoping this will fix that problem.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Any problems with anodizing coming off? Im considering putting my 22/45 lite in as well as my sparrow baffle core but I don't want the anodizing to come off of the aluminum upper of the 22/45.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I just used water, little vinegar and some soap. Ive got some anodized AN fittings from my hotrodding days, I may try one of those first before I drop my 22/45 in.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Doesn't seem to be any immediate negative effects on the anodizing. I ran it for 16 minutes heated with tap water, little dish soap and a couple ounces of vinegar. The bare spots are from using the fitting in a previous life. Atleast scratching it with my finger nail the anodizing seems to be in tact just as it was before.
    20131126_133819_zpsea0a6483.jpg

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    I might clean them again then bake the parts at 150 or so to ensure they're dry before I re-oil them... maybe with the Turkey on Thursday? :)
    Dunno about that - I usually just stick with onions, carrots and celery when I'm doing a turkey. ;)
    You have a good point about trapped water; my usual routine after taking the parts from the cleaner is to give them a good blast of Gun Scrubber to flush out the water, then oil as needed.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    No, but my cleaner has never hurt plastic. In fact, the little shims I use to keep metal parts off the bottom? Delrin (plastic).

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Ultrasonic cleaners won't hurt ANYTHING! If you put some caustic, badass acid cleaner in it, if might mar some finishes. It all depends on what your solution contains. The solutions that are used for brass cleaning with it and gun cleaning are fine. If it won't hurt to clean your gun with it, the ultrasonic part of cleaning won't hurt it either!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom