Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There are signs like this all of the US at national parks and other sites. The UN is behind this also.
    On the surface it seems harmless but what business of the UN is our national parks and historic sites?
    I don't suppose it's anybody's business, really. However, the designation was originally an idea from the U.S. We led the world in creating the whole idea of National Parks and in 1965 a White House study group proposed that something similar be done internationally. A bunch of nations got on board with that idea via the U.N.

Mostly, it's a bureaucratic waste of money but sometimes it serves a purpose. If something of real historical, cultural, or natural significance is threatened with destruction, theoretically all the nations that have signed on to the program will chip in a few bucks to save whatever is threatened. Some good work of that sort has been done on multiple occasions.

Also, designation of a location as a World Heritage Site automatically puts it under the protection of the Hague Convention for the Protection of Cultural Property in the Event of Armed Conflict. So, since these sites are supposed to be off-limits during war, neither side is supposed to use them to support their war effort. Also, neither side is supposed to willfully damage such sites.

That means if we ever get into an all-out war again, no signatory to the agreement that created the site registry should ever attack:

Now, just because this is all basically a good idea doesn't mean it is or isn't a legitimate government function or worth the money spent on it. Everybody will have their opinion on that. I'm just trying to answer your basic question about why the U.N. pays any attention to our historic or significant sites like national parks. The answer is - Because we asked them to.
    Capitol Armory ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    In a couple hundred years when people are reflecting back to the progressive era they'll say, "wow! I can't believe people put up with that crap, but at least we got some parks out of it."

The agreement not to attack heritage sites is a bit silly in my opinion. Why would anyone ever attack wilderness? There's nothing there to attack. Additionally, it would be supremely stupid to attack a monument. It would do nothing to actually hurt us, but it would really piss us off. Like Hulk pissed off... The phrase "Remember Mount Rushmore" would be much more dangerous to our enemies than some faces carved into a mountain.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    In a couple hundred years ... The phrase "Remember Mount Rushmore" would be...
    Oh, I generally agree. I remember thinking in the aftermath of 11 Sep 2001 that if they had flown one of those planes into the Statue of Liberty, the entire nation would have been screaming for genocide in retaliation.

Atlas Thug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2013
    Big FTW
    So U.S. sovereignty is nobodys business? The only reason the perverts in the U.N. are using these bogus 'World Heritage' designators is to garner itself perceived legitimacy.
    seeing a World Heritage Site does not give me warm fuzzies like it does you.
    I am sure bureacratic wastes of money makes logical sense to some, but that does not mean we should want them ruling our lives.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    seeing a World Heritage Site does not give me warm fuzzies like it does you.
    Yeah, I get warm fuzzies when I see the Grand Canyon, Redwood National Forest, Independence Hall, or Monticello. If you don't, well, I don't know what to think about that.

Atlas Thug

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2013
    Big FTW
    You know what I mean, dont put words in my mouth.
    I am referring to the stupid plaque / sign placed at the parks.
    I am sure you will make a nice, World citizen.
    The United Nations are classic usurpers. They inflate their own
    importance, maybe even more so than the US Govt.
    And this is while they are nothing more than a "me too!"
    group for Third World despots and perverts.

Putting a UN sign on an American park would be like me going
    to someones house and putting a sign there saying "Its Mine"

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Putting a UN sign on an American park would be like me going
    to someones house and putting a sign there saying "Its Mine"
    Really? I guess all those folks who live in really old homes with historical markers on them, placed there by the Texas State Historical Commission, should feel threatened that Texas is gonna come take their home, huh?

Look, I'm basically with you on the subject of the U.N. There are plenty of things about the U.N. to hate. The designation of world heritage sites, however, isn't one of them. Of all the silly things to misinterpret and get torqued about, this is one of the least significant I can imagine. Save your blood pressure for the important fights and don't get upset when the U.N. (originally at the behest of the U.S., remember) does some inconsequential nice thing. Seeing this as a threat is (and I'm putting this as nicely as I can) a waste of effort, a minor distraction.

txtard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    dallas
    I don't post much. Why don't we defund the UN? There nothing without our money. Move them to the south side of Chi-town or Detroit.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    kids-flipping-birds-51.jpeg
    Post of the month ................. maybe the year!

Trung Si

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Hill County
    As far as I am concerned, the UN can stick that Probe up their collective A$$es and that includes all Americans that welcome UN actions!

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Dear UN,

I think you have mistaken us for another country. One filled with wimps, sissies, limp wrists and girly drinks.

Sincerely,

America

P.S.
    kids-flipping-birds-51.jpeg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333