• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbrown_31

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    I just recently purchased my first pistol from a trusted friend through a private sale, and I was wondering if there is anything that prohibits me from having it loaded in my center console safe while driving ? The last thing I was is for my firearm to be confiscated in the event of me getting pulled over and be potentially charged with something that will prevent me from getting my LTC when I turn 21. Im 19 currently and I tried to look up laws that pertain to this but quickly became overwhelmed.

Thanks in advance

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    I just recently purchased my first pistol from a trusted friend through a private sale, and I was wondering if there is anything that prohibits me from having it loaded in my center console safe while driving ? The last thing I was is for my firearm to be confiscated in the event of me getting pulled over and be potentially charged with something that will prevent me from getting my LTC when I turn 21. Im 19 currently and I tried to look up laws that pertain to this but quickly became overwhelmed.

Thanks in advance

Motorist Protection Act allows you to have a handgun in the car in the state of Texas. Only thing is, it can’t be in plain view, must be concealed. Center console is perfectly fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Texas Heat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2017
    Houston, TX
    I'd call someone who is in the business of knowing laws rather than a gun forum question. The judge won't care what the internet told you. I'll admit I haven't kept up with newer laws pertaining to age as I'm older now but I do remember for a long time that it was 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns. Yes, you can carry concealed (out of sight but not on your person) without a LTC in the car but you must first be legally able to own one. Why not just call up local PD or gun shop with LTC course offering and ask?

cbrown_31

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Houston, Texas
    I'd call someone who is in the business of knowing laws rather than a gun forum question. The judge won't care what the internet told you. I'll admit I haven't kept up with newer laws pertaining to age as I'm older now but I do remember for a long time that it was 18 for long guns and 21 for handguns. Yes, you can carry concealed (out of sight but not on your person) without a LTC in the car but you must first be legally able to own one. Why not just call up local PD or gun shop with LTC course offering and ask?
    I Did end up calling the local police department and talked to multiple officers I've seen in public and all of them said it is perfectly legal to have a concealed handgun in the vehicle, although they said it will make for a lengthy traffic stop. But for right now I'm just going to keep it in my apartment, and when I travel to and from the range it will be unloaded in my range bag just for good measure

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I Did end up calling the local police department and talked to multiple officers I've seen in public and all of them said it is perfectly legal to have a concealed handgun in the vehicle, although they said it will make for a lengthy traffic stop. But for right now I'm just going to keep it in my apartment, and when I travel to and from the range it will be unloaded in my range bag just for good measure

Having a pistol on my belt didn't seem to make a difference one way or another, when I got pulled over for slightly exceeding the posted limit some time last year.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast

Thanks in advance
    I know it will be a while until you turn 21. I have a LTC class January 12th in Orange TX. Roughly a hour from you. I'll offer you a chair free of charge so you can get the correct information 1st hand concerning TPC 46.02/Motorist Protection Act, Use of Force/Chapter 9 and Safe Storage Practices etc. I'm hosting a Texas Law Shield Seminar December 6th on Use of Force/Deadly Force and Q&A with the program attorney.

Top Bottom