Join TexasGunTalk

Under 3" group at 1000 yards on the cheap.

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Dawico, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Dawico

Dawico TGT Addict

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    You don't have to spend big bucks to shoot an impressive group.

Factory Savage rifle in .308, new stock, new trigger, and "nothing special" handloads scores a 3" group at 1000 yards.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/scottish-benchrest-shooter/

Well done sir.

W5LF, Frank59 and toddnjoyce like this.
  2. TxStetson

TxStetson TGT Addict TGT Supporter Lifetime Member

May 9, 2013
    Abilene
    I have a Savage 10-P that I used to shoot in F-Class competitions before I reloaded for 308. So yeah, I can see it.

3. Frank59

Frank59 NO MA'AM!! TGT Supporter

May 14, 2018
    Houston
    Jed Clampet could hit a fly on a barbed wire fence from a thousand paces!

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    1. I'm actually more impressed with his aggregate of 6.756" over 4 groups. Assuming a reasonable bell-curve distribution, that means he stayed under one MOA with a .308 at 1K over the course of at least a half hour (assuming the targets were expeditiously worked by a pit crew) and possibly a much longer period of time. That's mighty good shooting.

toddnjoyce, Inspector43, TAZ and 2 others like this.
  5. TAZ

TAZ Well-Known

Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Every Savage I’ve owned has been a great shooter. Actually thinking of getting another in 6.5CM or 308 as a fun gun.

6. BRD@66

BRD@66 TGT Addict

Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I don't think we ought to blame too much of this on the rifle. That' a dam fine eye.

7. ed308

ed308 Well-Known

Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    That's impressive shooting.

8. Younggun

Younggun Doer of Deeds TGT Supporter Admin

Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Fine eyes don’t make bullets fly straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dawico likes this.
  9. benenglish

benenglish Lifetime Supporter Staff Member Lifetime Member Admin

Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It's interesting to break down some of the components that went into that group.

It's highly pertinent that he was shooting in the morning in a dead calm under conditions that, in my experience though not explicitly stated in the article, would have no mirage. So, his skill at reading conditions, whatever level it was, didn't enter into it much.

That's a big deal. If you take out the need to read conditions and assume that all equipment was in working order, then you're still left with infinite variables but only a few really big ones. The three biggest I see are:
    1. His bench technique. It had to be perfect. The profile of the stock he chose would help with that but there's also the skill and experience needed to properly set up the bags so that the rifle properly rides them during recoil, enabling a perfect return to firing position. That a deceivingly difficult task when using a benchrest stock; it's crazy hard when using any sort of stock designed for field use. Big props go to the shooter for that.
    2. His handloads. They may be "nothing special" but they still had to be close to perfect. When he calls them "nothing special", I think we can assume he's being a bit modest. He talks dismissively about bullet pull by describing with specific numbers the "neck tension". Most reloaders wouldn't know how to measure that in those terms so I'm betting his "nothing special" handloads are still assembled with more knowledge and care than I'll ever have.
    3. His rifle. It had to possess sufficient mechanical accuracy to do the job. I can remember a time when guns that shot like this were exotic 35-lb to 150-lb unlimited class beasts assembled under a full moon by wizards of the lathe who called on dark spirits with secret incantations to complete the task. I think a goat had to be sacrificed in the process. Now, you can buy that sort of accuracy over the counter and, with just a new stock and trigger, actually make use of it in real-world competition. Amazing.
    The more I think about this, the more I'm impressed.

ETA - The source article is here and it goes into greater and more useful detail, showing pictures of and/or discussing the range and the bag riders used by the shooter.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  10. jrbfishn

jrbfishn TGT Addict

Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    That is good shootin there for sure. Whichever one you blame.

from an idjit coffeeholic