• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul Gomez

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    The importance of having the skills to, in the words of Craig Douglas, Manage Unknown Contacts is of inestimable value. Having MUC skills are more important than having devastating unarmed skills or amazing gun skills. It really is that important.

One component of controlling your environment when interacting with someone of unknown intent is a hand position known colloquially as 'The Fence'. This places your hands in an unobtrusive, non-combative posture that allows for both nontelegraphic preemptive striking and effective utilization of a non-diagnostic default cover position.

Texas SOT

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    That was a great block of instruction, thanks for sharing!

I would add that when it comes down to actually putting the fence into practice guys often let their egos get in the way of their safety. Even though someone they don't know comes right up to them they will delay getting that fence up, instead trying to act "cool", and leave their hands down in a relaxed posture. This is particularly common when approached by the apparent panhandler or "bum a smoke" types. An "unknown contact" has unknown intent, so guys who don't respond with a fence stay cool at their own peril.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Thanks Paul. Good stuff. All this free training from you is making me feel like I owe it to you to take one of your classes :)
    Actually, it's making me want to take one of your classes since I like what I'm seeing. Maybe later this year or next year if you have some training down here, I'll have to jump in.

In the meantime, I'm setup for another 3 classes with KR training. After that first class I took last weekend, I really looking forward to more.

This training stuff could get addicting. It's too bad none of the firearms training schools setup their training like Martial Arts schools, where you pay a monthly tuition and attend weekly classes. It'd be a source of locked in income for the school and more frequent training for the students.....

Paul Gomez

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm glad you guys are enjoying the videos. Unfortunately, my laptop managed to lose all of my raw footage and edited footage for the piece I was planning to upload tonight. I'll try and reshoot it while I'm in Memphis and, hopefully, get it posted during the weekend.

Actually, it's making me want to take one of your classes since I like what I'm seeing. Maybe later this year or next year if you have some training down here, I'll have to jump in.

I'll be in Abilene in March...

In the meantime, I'm setup for another 3 classes with KR training. After that first class I took last weekend, I really looking forward to more.

Very, very cool. I'm looking forward to seeing Karl at the RangeMaster Tactical Conference tomorrow. The Polite Society/ Tactical Conference is one of the best values for time & money invested in the training community. It's $250 for three days of training. Each year there's about 18-20 top notch instructors offering 2 to 4 hour blocks on all sorts of topics.

This training stuff could get addicting. It's too bad none of the firearms training schools setup their training like Martial Arts schools, where you pay a monthly tuition and attend weekly classes. It'd be a source of locked in income for the school and more frequent training for the students.....[/QUOTE]

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    This is the first thing they taught in Krav Maga: keep your palms Outward, and still, about the height of your upper chest or such.

It doesn't signal any aggressive intent on our part.

Top Bottom