Capitol Armory ad

Undesirable juror. How do I make myself into such?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Everyone who wants out of jury duty scares me.

When I was younger, I thought the same. I didn't carry a gun everywhere (or anywhere) back then either.

When I got serious about trying to pursue a career in law enforcement, when I started carrying a firearm, and when I was taking CJ classes in college - my mindset shifted from "I want out" to "please, God, if I'm ever faced with a jury trial, don't fill the jury box with assholes and idiots"

A jury trial, if all the jurors on it were people who didn't want to be there and were "too stupid to figure a way out", is a damned scary roll of the dice. I want a jury full of people with intelligence, good listening skills, reasoning skills, the ability to question if a law is right and just, and a solid moral compass.

I'll take jury duty if it comes - never been picked, but I haven't tried getting off the jury either. They just didn't like my responses to questions when I answered honestly. I'd gladly sit on a jury, especially if its a serious crime that requires serious attention from the jurors.
    ARJ Defense ad

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Everyone who wants out of jury duty scares me.

When I was younger, I thought the same. I didn't carry a gun everywhere (or anywhere) back then either.

When I got serious about trying to pursue a career in law enforcement, when I started carrying a firearm, and when I was taking CJ classes in college - my mindset shifted from "I want out" to "please, God, if I'm ever faced with a jury trial, don't fill the jury box with assholes and idiots"

A jury trial, if all the jurors on it were people who didn't want to be there and were "too stupid to figure a way out", is a damned scary roll of the dice. I want a jury full of people with intelligence, good listening skills, reasoning skills, the ability to question if a law is right and just, and a solid moral compass.

I'll take jury duty if it comes - never been picked, but I haven't tried getting off the jury either. They just didn't like my responses to questions when I answered honestly. I'd gladly sit on a jury, especially if its a serious crime that requires serious attention from the jurors.
    Agree . we can’t complain about the idiots that get on the jury, and the verdict they reach while trying to make sure we stay off the jury.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    “I witnessed a violent crime a few years ago and feel the death penalty should not be optional.”

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Say this:
    “Your honor, I’m in a romantic relationship with the defendant and I just don’t think that I can be unbiased.”

Seriously though, I’m not the type to shirk the civic duty. I served on a jury earlier in the year. The entire jury took it quite seriously and it was quite a personally rewarding experience.

alwho421

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Bartlett
    I'm on call for fed grand jury frankly ain't no big deal. Want out, fall asleep in court your out no problem . Unless you get a judge with a God complex . (that's most of them)

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I was called for jury duty in a civil case that was fairly big. The defendant's lawyer asked if I believed a contract should be concrete. I responded that a man's word should be his bond, a piece of paper is as worthless as a lawyer. I was disqualified.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I used to get off in the past when they found out my dad was a homicide detective. Not so much any longer.
    Last time I was called I saw an interesting "out" some woman took. Not sure if she was sincere or gaming the system.
    Out in the hall she was staying by herself reading her bible. During the questioning of the potential jurors the question came up as this was the rape of a child, if we had a problem putting someone away for a very long time. potentially life?
    When she was asked the question she said that her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ would tell her what to do.
    The lawyer asked her if she even needed to hear the evidence if she was going by what Christ was going to tell her.
    Her answer was you can make fun of my relationship with Jesus if you want.
    DISSMISSED.
    That is the problem we have as Physicians. We must show-up, waste our day, but everyone knows there is no way we’ll be selected as a juror.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I got a jury duty notices twice when I lived in DC - I got registered when I had to get a DC license due to a military DL catch-22 for Japan.

Anyway, the first time, I was still on active duty and I had to go in with my ID to prove it. On way over, I met the super in my building and we chatted about jury duty there as he grew up in DC. He said there were three things that would get people out of jury duty in DC - previous experience as LEO or LEOs in the family, military service, or college. I kept that in mind because I had all three.

The second time, about six months after I got out of the Army, I got the second notice. When I handed the clerk the questionnaire at the desk to check in, she looked it over, stamped my summons "not selected", and told me I was done. I asked why but all she would say was that I was not needed.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I got a jury duty notices twice when I lived in DC - I got registered when I had to get a DC license due to a military DL catch-22 for Japan.

Anyway, the first time, I was still on active duty and I had to go in with my ID to prove it. On way over, I met the super in my building and we chatted about jury duty there as he grew up in DC. He said there were three things that would get people out of jury duty in DC - previous experience as LEO or LEOs in the family, military service, or college. I kept that in mind because I had all three.

The second time, about six months after I got out of the Army, I got the second notice. When I handed the clerk the questionnaire at the desk to check in, she looked it over, stamped my summons "not selected", and told me I was done. I asked why but all she would say was that I was not needed.

I got a jury duty notice, and filled out everything online.

About a week before the scheduled trial, I was told I wasn't needed.

alwho421

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Bartlett
    How did you manage that? Did you just get a summons out of the blue? Or was there a more personalized procedure?
    I voted then got a summons in mail. You go online on Friday or call an 800 number to find out if your called. There is a procedure to apply online for an excused absence. No personal contact necessary . Your just on the hook for a specified period. No problem.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I voted then got a summons in mail. You go online on Friday or call an 800 number to find out if your called. There is a procedure to apply online for an excused absence. No personal contact necessary . Your just on the hook for a specified period. No problem.
    That's fascinating. In some jurisdictions grand juries tend to be packed with friends of the court, people who are invited based on their relationships with various attorneys, especially attorneys in the office of the prosecutor. At least, that was commonly the case many decades ago. I obviously haven't kept up with how things are going these days.

I am perfectly willing to serve on a jury, especially a grand jury. I'm down in the Harris county computers as exempt, though, on account of my need to care for a disabled relative in my home.

I remember thinking at the time that anyone who was willing to lie could simply check the box that they're not coming in because they have to care for a 100% disabled relative in their home. That gets you an exemption and the county never follows up to see if you're telling the truth.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    While I have been summoned many times, the only time I was in jury selection they had a numbered list (4 different) of beliefs for conviction. While I can't remember what the other 3 were, I picked "Let the punishment fit the crime". I guess that was a disqualifier.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    That's fascinating. In some jurisdictions grand juries tend to be packed with friends of the court, people who are invited based on their relationships with various attorneys, especially attorneys in the office of the prosecutor. At least, that was commonly the case many decades ago. I obviously haven't kept up with how things are going these days.

I am perfectly willing to serve on a jury, especially a grand jury. I'm down in the Harris county computers as exempt, though, on account of my need to care for a disabled relative in my home.

I remember thinking at the time that anyone who was willing to lie could simply check the box that they're not coming in because they have to care for a 100% disabled relative in their home. That gets you an exemption and the county never follows up to see if you're telling the truth.
    You can apply to be on the grand jury, I had the paperwork ready to mail and thought do I really want to travel to downtown?

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring

It has changed; they pull the grand jury candidates from the regular jury pool. I missed out on that a couple of weeks ago.

Alpha.Geek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    Tyler "suburbs"... :)
    Don't watch this, or you MIGHT not ever be able to serve on a jury again...

When they ask the first question, you CAN answer legally correct...

You are welcome, BUT have been warned.

Last edited:

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    0900-1715 today.

CPS case. County attorney asked if anyone had any feelings about the state terminating parental rights. I spoke up and said that bar needs to be very high.

Hours later I was asked to speak with lawyers and judge concerning my statement. I wordsmithed it to appease them hoping I could still get a seat in the jury box. No such luck, I should have told them we are citizens, not subjects. My disdain for people who mistreat children is only second to my mistrust of government agencies who think they know better than us, CPS and other social workers should all be fired.

Lawyers mentioned “medical neglect” and parental drug use. Neither one appeared to use meth and both had a little extra weight on them. Parents are separated and the state wanted to remove the kids (4 & 7) from both of them. That seems odd that neither parent was “fit” in the state’s eyes. State also said they do what’s best for the children, and then proceeded to say that the kids are in separate foster homes right now.

Top Bottom