• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you support Universal Background checks?

• Total voters

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    It's not simple to me. IF that was the end game for gun controllers, then I wouldn't be "for" it but I could live with it. But it's not an ultimate goal, it's just something on the list - a list that ultimately ends in confiscation of all privately-owned firearms. BTW, I do like pie.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    There is only one way that universal background checks can “work”, and that is with mandatory registration and steep fines for possessing a firearm that is not registered to you.

Ala what has been done for over 80 years with NFA items.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    NO! But I too like pie. It was a hard decision. :p

When you get the 99% results of NOT in favor send them to the Dallas News outlet from your other thread. ;)

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I am going to assume that UBC includes NICS. So in order to sell my personal property as a law abiding citizen I have to do a NICS on the potential buyer, fill out paperwork, maintain that paperwork for a LOT of years, pay a fee, register my gun and myself with the FBI/ATF and who know who else, possibly pay taxes on the sale, file this with my annual taxes with the IRS. Then there is the mandatory waiting time before I can transfer the gun (yes I know that they have added that one, but as soon as they pass UBC it will ALL be added on. Now I just sold a gun to a legit guy, went thru ALL the hoops and he drove away, went home, killed his wife and baby, drove over to the school where his 7 and 8 year old kids went and shot 11 kids and 2 teachers. And now I am being sued by 11 sets of parents, 2 teachers and 9 wounded kids, the school district, the city and the state.

Yea, I think this is a great idea, lets do more of it, I got nothing else to do this week. I can't wait for UBC.

I am a sovereign America citizen I do not need YOUR friggin permission to sell my car, my home, my watch, my lawnmower or anything else I legit own. SO take you UBC and roll the paperwork into a cone and shove it where the sun don't shine or call me and I will shove it for you!!!!!

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I am going to assume that UBC includes NICS. So in order to sell my personal property as a law abiding citizen I have to do a NICS on the potential buyer, fill out paperwork, maintain that paperwork for a LOT of years, pay a fee, register my gun and myself with the FBI/ATF and who know who else, possibly pay taxes on the sale, file this with my annual taxes with the IRS. Then there is the mandatory waiting time before I can transfer the gun (yes I know that they have added that one, but as soon as they pass UBC it will ALL be added on. Now I just sold a gun to a legit guy, went thru ALL the hoops and he drove away, went home, killed his wife and baby, drove over to the school where his 7 and 8 year old kids went and shot 11 kids and 2 teachers. And now I am being sued by 11 sets of parents, 2 teachers and 9 wounded kids, the school district, the city and the state.

Yea, I think this is a great idea, lets do more of it, I got nothing else to do this week. I can't wait for UBC.

I am a sovereign America citizen I do not need YOUR friggin permission to sell my car, my home, my watch, my lawnmower or anything else I legit own. SO take you UBC and roll the paperwork into a cone and shove it where the sun don't shine or call me and I will shove it for you!!!!!
    ^that's a no!

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    I am going to assume that UBC includes NICS. So in order to sell my personal property as a law abiding citizen I have to do a NICS on the potential buyer, fill out paperwork, maintain that paperwork for a LOT of years, pay a fee, register my gun and myself with the FBI/ATF and who know who else, possibly pay taxes on the sale, file this with my annual taxes with the IRS. Then there is the mandatory waiting time before I can transfer the gun (yes I know that they have added that one, but as soon as they pass UBC it will ALL be added on

I think it would just be so that even private sales would have to go through a FFL...

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Just a simple question. Would/do you support universal background checks?

Just noticed you support them. Can you explain your position? Not trying to start an argument about it, just trying to understand where one who supports them is coming from.

Oh yeah, and MajorMax, peach or apple? :roflsmile:

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Lived thru it being implemented in Colorado... didn't do a damn thing except make it a PITA to buy/sell private party- gotta go find a willing FFL, pay them and CBI for the BGC (Colorado won't use NICS, they have a division of the Colorado Bureau of Investigations that does it and sets their "fee" tax), and a chilling effect on the amount of private party sales (which could be the real goal with UBC) They'll point to the # of failed BGCs as "success"- when 99% of those are false positives (or CBI denying sale until unpaid parking tickets are resolved) The only real measurement would be if there were convictions of a prohibited person trying to purchase a gun, which is very near zero... I think I heard of ONE guy being arrested because he had a bench warrant he "wasn't aware of"

You also wind up with new sayings like "CIP, CIP"
    Comply in Public, Conduct in Private

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I think it would just be so that even private sales would have to go through a FFL...
    Possible, but that would really add an extra burden and cost, FFL folks not gonna do it for free and due to the amount of sales cost to make the deal could climb significantly and each FFL can name his own $. I know some now that charge as much as $50, $25-$35 seems common in my area.

Lunyfringe

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Canton, TX
    Possible, but that would really add an extra burden and cost, FFL folks not gonna do it for free and due to the amount of sales cost to make the deal could climb significantly and each FFL can name his own $. I know some now that charge as much as $50, $25-$35 seems common in my area.
    That is how it's done... whenever they say "Universal Background Checks" they mean that EVERY sale must go thru an FFL... and yes, the FFL gets a fee for this (I don't believe they should be forced to do it for free, either... 2 wrongs don't make a right) Unless they revoke it as part of this BS, LTC holders are exempt from BGC. So this would only serve as a documentation of the sale on a 4473 and FFL log books (since FFLs are required to log in/out the firearm as part of the transaction)

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    That is how it's done... whenever they say "Universal Background Checks" they mean that EVERY sale must go thru an FFL... and yes, the FFL gets a fee for this (I don't believe they should be forced to do it for free, either... 2 wrongs don't make a right) Unless they revoke it as part of this BS, LTC holders are exempt from BGC. So this would only serve as a documentation of the sale on a 4473 and FFL log books (since FFLs are required to log in/out the firearm as part of the transaction)

Has anything been said about how or if there would any enforcement. I mean what's the point without enforcement?

As you stated above, and I realize you are just stating the facts of it not necessarily supporting it, if it serves as documentation of a sale, then how does that work? If it's Federal law do the feds need to be called in every time someone is found with a gun? If it's a State law does local PD check out guns to ensure they were processed according to the law? Either way, how can that be done without a central database? Without a central database of UBC's and specific guns sold after date X the law is useless. Tracking down a 4473 at a specific dealer would not be a quick process. Do they hold you till then? Do they confiscate said firearm? What if the FFL is no longer in business? Do we wait for ATF to search through their so called "non-indexed" database and come up with an answer.

It leaves more questions then answers, which is probably the point.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    The way current idiots want to implement UBC, it would be next to impossible to support.

With that stated, I could support an anonymous app or 800 number to be used for any reason. Enter the persons name and get a red light: green light confirmation #. You don’t need to give a reason for the check and you can choose to keep the conf # or not. Want to hire a baby sitter: use the app. Want to vote for someone: use the app. Want to sell a car: use the app. Want to date my daughter: use the app. Want to sell a gun: use the app.

That’s a true Universal Background Check. Not the useless crap they want to foist on us.

Jigo23

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    Maybe this wouldn’t even be a topic for discussion IF private sellers were more cautious and conscientious about who they sell their guns to? NONE of us should want guns falling into the wrong hands, yet many are only worried about getting the cash in hand without doing due diligence on who they are selling their guns to.
    Personally, my standards for selling my guns are actually higher than that set forth by state and federal law. I run my own background checks using s/w that I pay for out of my own pocket. If I have any doubts whatsoever about the character and judgement of a potential buyer, I simply don’t sell to that person. My guns, my rules.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Just noticed you support them. Can you explain your position? Not trying to start an argument about it, just trying to understand where one who supports them is coming from.

Oh yeah, and MajorMax, peach or apple? :roflsmile:

That would be my big footed Cockatoo running across my keyboard vote. I'm against the damn things.

And it's Pecan.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Maybe this wouldn’t even be a topic for discussion IF private sellers were more cautious and conscientious about who they sell their guns to? NONE of us should want guns falling into the wrong hands, yet many are only worried about getting the cash in hand without doing due diligence on who they are selling their guns to.
    Personally, my standards for selling my guns are actually higher than that set forth by state and federal law. I run my own background checks using s/w that I pay for out of my own pocket. If I have any doubts whatsoever about the character and judgement of a potential buyer, I simply don’t sell to that person. My guns, my rules.

What is s/w?

Top Bottom