• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you support Universal Background checks?

• Total voters

mwrookie

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2018
    IL
    Among my many discussions about gun rights, a license was proposed. Would it be any better to get a gun owners license similar to a driver's license? Showing proficiency at whatever level you want to reach. Revolver, semi, etc.

I am all for people going through training however training is expensive. If it becomes a requirement the cost will get out of hand. With that said if the law is going to require civis to show proficiency, I am going to need LEO's NY, CA, Chicago...I am looking at you... to have mandatory shooting once a week. 84 shots fired and 3 hits...I don't know about you, but that tells me that have not been to the range since the last qualify. Some of these guys should not be allowed to carry a pen let alone a firearm.
    Lynx Defense

Jigo23

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    I am all for people going through training however training is expensive. If it becomes a requirement the cost will get out of hand. With that said if the law is going to require civis to show proficiency, I am going to need LEO's NY, CA, Chicago...I am looking at you... to have mandatory shooting once a week. 84 shots fired and 3 hits...I don't know about you, but that tells me that have not been to the range since the last qualify. Some of these guys should not be allowed to carry a pen let alone a firearm.

Amen! Sadly, same thing holds true for some (not all) of our conventional military forces. Some blame can be placed on shrinking budgets, but a lot comes down to personal responsibility. In SOF didn’t have to worry about ammo availability, but if so whether MIL or LEO, I sure as hell would have taken it upon myself to do what I had to do to maintain proficiency.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Amen! Sadly, same thing holds true for some (not all) of our conventional military forces. Some blame can be placed on shrinking budgets, but a lot comes down to personal responsibility. In SOF didn’t have to worry about ammo availability, but if so whether MIL or LEO, I sure as hell would have taken it upon myself to do what I had to do to maintain proficiency.

You're the rare duck. Most members of the service are more interested in chasing tail and getting drunk. Sine they only have weekends and leave to obtain this training and good training is EXPENSIVE, it just doesn't happen.

Hell, most USMC infantry are only going to live-fire their weapon a couple of times per year unless they're working up for deployment. I was a 0351. I saw one Dragon missile launched and never saw a TOW launched. The only infantry training I received was one week in boot camp. My four weeks of Advanced Infantry Training was spent basically sitting on our thumbs as the Marines were in a transition period between the 105 recoilless and the Dragon/TOW. No training syllabus had been written and approved, no training funds had been allocated so no actual training was performed. We spent three days doing some basic demo work and that was it.

After AIT I went to The Rock. No chance of DIY training there, not to mention how does one train to use a missile system DIY?

After my term on The Rock I came back to Pendleton. Got assigned to 1st TOW Battalion. Kind of hard to get any DIY or off the reservation training on the TOW missile system.

Back on topic. I'm totally against ANY type of training requirement for firearms ownership. Stop. Period. End of Story.

mwrookie

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2018
    IL

Sure LE budgets become an issue. However, like you said, in the end if you are carrying a weapon it falls on you to make sure your skills are on point. My dad was LE for 42 years. He made sure he hit the range on his own time. CPD did not give you paid range time or a box of ammo. As he taught me back when I was 6 until i turned 30 (the last time we went to the range together) "you are accountable for every bullet you send down range. If you can not make the shot do not take the shot"

Jigo23

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 3, 2015
    You're the rare duck. Most members of the service are more interested in chasing tail and getting drunk. Sine they only have weekends and leave to obtain this training and good training is EXPENSIVE, it just doesn't happen.

Hell, most USMC infantry are only going to live-fire their weapon a couple of times per year unless they're working up for deployment. I was a 0351. I saw one Dragon missile launched and never saw a TOW launched. The only infantry training I received was one week in boot camp. My four weeks of Advanced Infantry Training was spent basically sitting on our thumbs as the Marines were in a transition period between the 105 recoilless and the Dragon/TOW. No training syllabus had been written and approved, no training funds had been allocated so no actual training was performed. We spent three days doing some basic demo work and that was it.

After AIT I went to The Rock. No chance of DIY training there, not to mention how does one train to use a missile system DIY?

After my term on The Rock I came back to Pendleton. Got assigned to 1st TOW Battalion. Kind of hard to get any DIY or off the reservation training on the TOW missile system.

Back on topic. I'm totally against ANY type of training requirement for firearms ownership. Stop. Period. End of Story.

Yeah that sucks as far as maintaining readiness and proficiency on larger weapon systems. I was only referring to small arms proficiency.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    That’s easy sir, you won’t get my guns then. Wouldn’t want and don’t need someone’s money not willing to provide their name and proof of identification. Haven’t had any problem selling any gun so far, but thanks for your concern.
    Again...my guns, my rules.
    Just out of curiosity, if/when you sell a gun, you don’t require any ID whatsoever? You just take their “green money” no questions asked eh?
    I guess one can choose to be part of the problem or part of the solution.

It's very simple. I don't sell guns. They're like a savings account that's making money.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Oh I could care less about a knock on my door or “getting in trouble” with the law. What I couldn’t live with is a gun I provided someone being used negligently or unlawfully to harm an innocent person, especially a child. When I have sold guns to new shooters, I meet them at a range and teach them how to safely handle, shoot, disassemble, clean, reassemble the gun before I turn it over to them. At least then I know they were taught the correct way, what happens after that is on them.
    Again...folks can choose to handle transferring their guns the way they see fit and proper as I will continue to do.

And that is a 2 edged sword. If they accidently shoot someone guess who the victim is going after besides the shooter.... The teacher..

Last edited:

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Every time someone kills someone else.....a multitude of laws are broken

I say this ALL THE TIME .... IT'S ALL READY AGAINST THE LAW TO KILL PEOPLE! WE DON"T NEED ANY MORE LAWS!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If you are F'd up in the head to kill someone it don't matter the means.(unless in self defense from a shit bag) You can pass all the laws you want it don't matter a criminal is a criminal. Just look at the drug laws & the war on drugs ... it's worked real well :banghead:

IMO i really doubt it's the person doing a face to face purchase doing crimes after the purchase(unless were talking illegal street purchase). I would think there are more stolen guns ... either from houses or cars doing the crimes. I'd like to see a report of all the gun related crimes, & how many of the firearms were legally purchased from the store by the original purchaser versus stolen that commit a crime.

Last edited:

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I support "Common sense" gun violence laws! If you use a gun to commit any crime.If you are guilty, You are sentenced to death within 3 days. Your execution is broadcast on all national and local news shows. Watching is mandatory in all schools.

Top Bottom