• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Our current issue of "TSRA SPORTSMAN" carries a lead article on "The 4 Universal Gun Safety Rules Plus 13 More You Should Follow"

As I have numerous grandkids and several others I must teach, I read this with great interest.

The author completely missed several issues here. During my long careers of study & teaching, I learned that no basic rule can be improved by making it more complicated. So, what are considered as the "4" listed were 1) All weapons are ALWAYS "loaded". 2) Never point any gun in an unsafe direction 3) No finger on trigger until ready 4) Awareness of target and its surroundings. These may be stated with slight differences, but their meanings are consistent and "timeless".

One thing I learned from our Military is that when safety is the concern, always go back to the basics, first. No matter how experienced and rated a Pilot is, he/she must demonstrate basic aircraft handling skills FIRST, before beginning and series of more advanced "recurrency training" exercises.

Perhaps these time-honored and universally shared rules should be left alone, as all parties can agree on these.

The author then went-on to list some bakers' dozen more proposed "rules", which though good ideas, do not deserve the status of "commandments".

In all fields, basic safety begins with simplicity: Fly the airplane", Your GUN is always "loaded", "Leave several car-lengths", "Wear your steel toes & safety vest with the hard-hat", "Watch your step", No Dear, the dress doesn't make your butt look. . . . "

Easy to teach and easy to recall in times of stress when most-needed.

Were I to add a fifth "Rule", it would be this "You must speak-up immediately when you see anyone do something dangerous with a firearm!"

In this era of Millennials concerned over "feelings", trophies for everyone, and "there is no right or wrong way"; our young and everyone must accept the responsibility of immediately participating in our common safety by politely but firmly pointing-out errors of others. IMMEDIATELY !

Indeed, I have long-noted that real "Gun People" from all nations, regions, cultures, and backgrounds share the "4 rules" and TEACH their young.

The concepts embodied in these rules are taught from infancy in our Family. Our toddlers are not allowed to point toy weapons directly at one-another, even in their play-games.

Indeed, I once gave-up my long traditional RGV dove hunt with a group of Valley folks who had failed to teach their young properly. I clearly recall telling my Host that I couldn't continue in the midst of all the teeny-boppers and teens waving loaded shotguns about wildly in close quarters. He just shrugged it off. I departed.

The other 13 proposed "rules" may be important, but we may have legitimate disagreements, especially to degree, with some of them. And, they would confuse our teaching unnecessarily. Moi, I got off the "More is always better" bandwagon decades back

Since this topic is of vital and REAL life-threatening importance to us all, I solicit your sincere comments here.

leVieux
    Guns International

Last edited:

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Yeah well the TSRA has been working on jumping the shark for a while.

That fifth rule is good for any activity or subject where there are a few basic rules that should always be followed for the safety of others. Screw anyone who gets their feels hurt over it. You can put yourself in danger if you want, and get yourself killed alone in a gruesome or grizzly manner, and I'll be annoyed at the cost of cleaning you off the walls and all. But when you put other people in danger, like you do by flying unsafely or shooting unsafely, you need to be called out, and if you keep doing it, you need to be slapped down.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Jeff Cooper wrote it down as four rules because four is a manageable number of rules to remember. Of course one could add more rules to them, just see your gun's safety manual, but who can remember them all, or even how many there are.
    Like, who can recite all the amendments to the Constitution, or get through the Ten Commandments without scrounging up their forehead and counting on their fingers...

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Leave as is, it’s already too hard for so many youngsters to comprehend.
    In fact a lot of adults just don’t get it. As stated above in the dove shoot comment. I quit shooting dove many years ago do to the negligence of other shooters. Side note: I say dove shoots because I never saw the hunt related part of this activity.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    All 4 are very important, #4 is especially important to my family. Please know your target and what’s behind it, and please don’t shoot towards your neighbors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    leVieux,
    I appreciate your posting. I actually went to the trouble of clipping that particular article out and saving it, to give to my grandson. My grandson is rapidly approaching the age where I will take him out to shoot some (.22). Fortunately my son has already drilled the basic safety rules to him (even, with just play Nerf gun-type toys).

Your perspective about what we used to call the “kiss principal” was well received by me. I had obviously read the whole article and while I thought many of the other points were worth making, they did seem to me, to “cloud” the basic rules. At a young age (grandson is seven), perhaps it’s best to keep it basic. Thanks for your posting.

Last edited:

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    bb2.jpg

Attachments

• bb2.jpg
      bb2.jpg
      12.6 KB · Views: 319

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    I feel the basic 4 cover just about everything stupid a person can potentially do with a firearm.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Even as few as four rules requires constant repetition and practice before it's second nature. When my kids, grandkids and "others" who shall remain nameless for my well-being, come to shoot, I seldom shoot instead act as RSO. "Finger off the trigger!", "muzzle down range!" "Is it clear AND safe?" "Did you check your surroundings?" "Don't break the 90!", etc. Its each time, no exceptions, 100% consistent.

They all echo the rules because I always ask and insist. I couldn't handle the alternative.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Jeff Cooper wrote it down as four rules...
    Indeed, he did. And, given his mindset and per his written words, he wrote them down with defensive situations in mind. They work well in the hunting fields, too.

However, I always feel the need to remind people that they are not all applicable all the time in every situation. "Finger off the trigger until sights are on the target", for example, is not applicable on the firing line at the Olympics or even, arguably, at your local bullseye match.

If anybody wants to go off on that tangent again, I'll be happy to join you for the trip.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The 10 Commandments.
    8 out of 10 Commandments are nothing more than how to get along with other people.
    Given the number of people that can not learn how to live by even those 8, nope, 4 rules are enough.
    Apparently, as evidenced by another thread today, some folks have enough trouble remembering those 4.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Indeed, he did. And, given his mindset and per his written words, he wrote them down with defensive situations in mind. They work well in the hunting fields, too. ...

Did he? Because these rules apply also for disassembling and reassembling guns, cleaning them, at the range, general effing about (= "teaching"), etc.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    leVieux, if you can still edit your OP, I'd suggest you do so. If not, let me know and I'll fix at least the thread title and first paragraph for you.

BEN,

Your wise and appropriate advice is always appreciated. I think I may have a dyslexic computer, as no matter how many times I review and spell-check, the result is error-filled.

For a while, I thought is was a Soros/Obama virus intended to derail conservative thought.

And, as an Old ex-Professor, I tend to talk too much. I hope that my twin thrusts of "KISS" and the effects of "p.c." on everyone's safety can be recognized and minimized. Indeed, we so often hear, "If you see something, SAY something"; but p.c. contradicts this basic idea.

Please feel free to comment on my stuff, I look forwards to hearing from "BEN".

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Even as few as four rules requires constant repetition and practice before it's second nature. When my kids, grandkids and "others" who shall remain nameless for my well-being, come to shoot, I seldom shoot instead act as RSO. "Finger off the trigger!", "muzzle down range!" "Is it clear AND safe?" "Did you check your surroundings?" "Don't break the 90!", etc. Its each time, no exceptions, 100% consistent.

They all echo the rules because I always ask and insist. I couldn't handle the alternative.

I resemble your remarks. . . . . .

Even way back in my Army days, we were often sent to a range like Camp Bullis for our mandated rifle and pistol recurrency training & proficiency checks.

As a Medical Unit, we had numerous Physicians and high-ranking Officers with zero firearms experience. the late Jack Myers of Cleveland & Victoria had to act as RSO's, as there was no-one else.

We saw much terrifying stuff from our Docs, especially our Psychiatrist C.O. who hated guns.

Some were so bad that Jack or I had to stand behind them, arms outstretched, to stop their wild Stoner gyrations with rounds chambered.

Back then, the "Stoners" were universally hated. Indeed, I recall having to use my Python to unstick self returning targets which the .556 couldn't knock all the way down. Scared us Old "Give me back my M14" Guys!

leVieux

Last edited:
    Top Bottom