• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Well I stopped in my local gun store and was browsing and found a bag marked "Unknown Cal". The owner aid that he got them from a widow who was getting rid of all her late husbands gun stuff and they weren't marked. They are reloads, with 6.5mm soft point bullets. They looked like 260 Remington to me and are formed off of Mil-Surp 7.62 NATO brass so I bought them($6.00). Well I got home and broke out my caliper and I am pretty sure they arent 260 Remington. I have compared the dimensions to every common 6.5 caliber i could think of and it didnt match any of them. Here are the specs.
    UnknownCartridge.gif

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I think it is .260 Remington, but the sizing die they were using was adjusted too far. It shoved the shoulder down and elongated the neck. They probably trimmed the case to their particular gun so the overall length and case length are more than likely cut to their chamber.

I would pull the bullets and reload the case. The case should fire-form to your chamber, they could have left the overall length long as means to fire-form the brass, that way the neck didn't pull in too far.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    That's a pretty big difference to be a mistake, particularly if the guy was wildcatting. Much more likely some varient of the 6.5/08, the parent of the .260 Remington.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom