• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    sign in front window of Walmart in Azle says something about it is - unlawful to carry any other weapon other than firearm if you are licensed under chapter 411.... to carry a firearm. It sounds like it is quoting an actual law. Is this a real law?

Most of us carry knives too. There are tactical pens. Many women also carry pepper spray. So are we all breaking the law by carrying "other" weapons? Or is this not a law?

If it is a law, can anyone tell me which code and the number? I would like to read more about it. Thanks.
    Texas SOT

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Something like this?

handgun-warning-blue-sign-s2-0990.png

If you have a LTC/CHL, you can ignore it. The Walmarts here have them as well.

Essentially, as a LTC/CHL holder, the only signs you have to worry about are 30.06, 30.07 and red 51%.

RCK1999

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Note on the bottom left of sign is a reference to a TABC reg. I think that is your answer.

don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    That is not the same sign. I've seen that one many times. This one I'm talking about says specifically (the wording is not the same as the sign) that if you have LTC you may carry gun but "it is unlawful to carry any other weapon". I've stopped to read the sign a few times, because it just doesn't sound right. But the language sounds like it may have been copied word for word from a law or code. also it does not give a specific code number so it could be looked up. I wonder if it is a fabricated idea to keep TLCers from carrying knives. Prior to this sign being put up, I saw many people carrying fixed blade knives open on their belts in this Walmart in Azle. Judging by the sheaths, most were about 5" blades. Legal length, but larger that what we would normally see.

Forgive the underline and Quotes. Not trying to be rude. Just trying to emphasize what sign said.

don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    Something like this?

handgun-warning-blue-sign-s2-0990.png

If you have a LTC/CHL, you can ignore it. The Walmarts here have them as well.

Essentially, as a LTC/CHL holder, the only signs you have to worry about are 30.06, 30.07 and red 51%.

That's what I thought too, until I saw the new sign. I still ignore it. I carry two knives all the time in addition to my pistol. Even in that Walmart. I think it is not legal. I'm just trying to find out for sure. If it is real, someone on this forum would most likely know and could share info on it. But if no one here knows about it, that confirms to me, it is some fabrication from store or other group - trying to convince us with legal appearing sign, that is is law, when in fact it is not.

I will take a picture of sign next time I go. I will post it on here.

Again, thank you all. I've received so much info, help and entertainment from this forum since I've joined. I may not post a lot. But I read it all the time. I'm on it almost everyday. Thanks.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The TABC code refers to weapons as those listed in PC 46.02, handguns, illegal knives and clubs. The signs you are seeing refer to illegal knives and clubs in relation to 46.02.

don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    This one?

Notice%20weapons%20sign.png

Essentially the same as the one I previously posted. LTC/CHL holders can ignore it...

Not that one either. I'll be at that walmart by end of week. I'll get a picture of it. I should be able to post pictures hopefully Saturday morning.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Not that one either. I'll be at that walmart by end of week. I'll get a picture of it. I should be able to post pictures hopefully Saturday morning.

I've seen the one you are talking about. I believe their goal is to stop long gun open carry in their stores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    tx
    Wow. Is open long gun carry still a thing? People still doing that? I've personally never actually seen it in public.

Open handgun carry was passed. So what are they trying to accomplish now?

But it would explain the sign. However, I still don't think it is a law like the sign suggests.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I've seen a very similar sign on my favorite liquor store (plus they have the required TABC signage). I'm not sure the point, altho some people think the TABC BLUE sign prohibits carry of any kind, and fail to comprehend the "unlicensed" wording. I just walk on by.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There is an alternative idea.... TABC laws require licensed locations not permit the carry of weapons other than those carried by a LTC/CHL holder. For example, it is not unlawful, in and of itself, to carry a long gun into a liquor store, but the liquor store owners are required to prohibit you from doing so.

Perhaps these other signs are addressing that.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    That'd be a real trick to do [in Texas] with a sign!

Yep, I'm curious as to how they will do that as well!

If I am not mistaken, it would have to fall under simple criminal trespass (TPC 30.05) and the only recourse the business would have would be to notify the individual that they must leave the property. Technically, a person can carry a long gun concealed or otherwise anywhere it is not prohibited by Federal and/or state law.

An interesting question would be if a "gunbuster" sign with a rifle on it or simply one that said "NO Trespass with any firearms" be considered sufficient notice under 30.05?

Should keep the discussion going until such time as a picture of the sign in question is posted! :D

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom