• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    This is just a PSA reminder for all the folks who are out and about in fields and woods.

Here it is, the end of January, and if I am out hunting, I will be wearing either snake boots or snake gaiters as I have done for the last couple of years. Some of my buddies give me a hard time. "Ain't no snakes gonna be out this time of year..." and mostly they are right. To be perfectly honest, I really like wearing my gaiters this time of year because they keep my lower legs warm and dry, not to mention protecting me against that crappy greenbriar that is sharp and pointy all year long and has a nasty habit of stabbing and scratching through my pant legs. However, the snake issue is real. Snakes don't know seasons and snakes don't use calendars. All they know is that if it is warm enough, they will be out. "Warm enough" is relative, but I have seen snakes out at my place in Forestburg when it was in the 50s. There may not be as many of them that are out and they may not be moving as much, but they will be out.

Last Saturday, this little girl learned the hard way about snakes. She was at Longhorn Cavern State Park when she was bitten by a rattlesnake. It was cold enough that she was wearing a jacket at the time. To date, she has had at least 30 injections of anti-venom. That won't be cheap and neither will the care flight that transported her to the hospital that had anti-venom.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2018/01/23/5-year-old-girl-survives-rattlesnake-bite.html
    http://wric.com/2018/01/22/5-year-old-girl-receives-16-doses-of-anti-venom-after-rattlesnake-bite/

Remember that just because you don't expect them to be out does not mean that they won't be out.
    Capitol Armory ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Yep.
    I had a friend that got bit in December with snow on the ground back in the late '90s.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Stinkin' snakes can't even read a thermometer these days. Sheesh. What is this world coming to?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Fried in grease. It's a light fluffy, stringy meat. Don't worry if it bites itself. The heat from cooking breaks the venom down. Least I'm told. I ate a chunk section where he bit himself right before he went to see Jesus. I ain't dead.

Really clean white meat too. Not much is there but what is is a delicate tasting meat.

Top Bottom