• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • captainkirkw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Austin Tx
    I was looking forward to breaking in my new Davidson's Exclusive Ruger LCP Max Elite this weekend but it wasn't meant to be. The Max was pretty greasy in the bag when I picked it up at my LGS so I took it apart, inspected it, and cleaned it up when I got home, which is something always do anyway. I was hoping to get around 200 rounds through it but I was only able to try six shots as I had multiple FTF's and fortunately noticed that the takedown pin was working its way out. I pulled the pin out and inspected everything but then had a lot of difficulty trying to get the takedown pin to go back in. As I kept trying, the pin popped out and landed in front of the railing where all of the spent casings get swept into so I figured it was a lost cause. However, I decided to snap a photo with my cell phone and thought there might be a chance and as I zoomed in, there it was propped up against the front of the concrete and a spent casing.

LCP Max takedown pin 01.jpg

LCP Max takedown pin 02.jpg

So while I was lucky enough to find it, I decided that I was not going to try it again and I will be contacting Ruger. No matter what they decide to do, I am going to order the M*CARBO takedown pin as it looks to be better made anyway.

I'll post back when I hear from Ruger.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I have 2 of the LCP Max Rugers as well as a few of the original LCPs. I have heard of reports of the take down pin walking out but never experienced it myself. If everything is right, it should snap into place with a click.

If you took the gun apart for cleaning, make sure that you put the takedown detent spring in correctly. When you take the trigger group out of the frame, it is very easy for the detent spring to come out.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Lots of brass. Nobody reloading anymore? I keep one of those long magnetic pickup tools in the truck to pickup shotshells (gets the primers) and would have found this I bet. Last time I went to a public range the brass had all been taken. Amazing you found the pin.
    I really don't like to buy a gun that needs a better part made by a different company.

captainkirkw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Austin Tx
    Lots of brass. Nobody reloading anymore? I keep one of those long magnetic pickup tools in the truck to pickup shotshells (gets the primers) and would have found this I bet. Last time I went to a public range the brass had all been taken. Amazing you found the pin.
    I really don't like to buy a gun that needs a better part made by a different company.
    I had not read a lot about issues with the takedown pin but I have read that Ruger has good customer service so hopefully they will take care of it.

As far as getting aftermarket parts goes, I don't see anything wrong with that. If it were a huge issue then I would think Ruger would have changed the design so we will see what happens in my case but after looking at the pin design that M*CARBO made, it does seem to be a better design so no big deal to try it no matter what Ruger says about my current issue. Plus I have my Sig P365 and Glock 42 for carry most of the time, just wanted to try the Max for an even smaller and lighter carry for some situations.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    My point was that if the gun needs aftermarket parts so that it works right in the first place I don't want it. This is always the question about plastic guide rods vs. metal. I have never had a plastic one fail but if you want to buy a metal one go for it. Now if the gun is notorious for breaking plastic guide rods I wouldn't buy it.Triggers the same, if you like the feel of a different one go for it. M*Carbo and similar companies make parts that improve the gun. If it must have a M*Carbo part to work I don't buy it in the first place. Ruger has always provided good service and I would let them pay for the fix.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I have enough various caliber pistol brass in coffee cans to last me the next decade... what I don't have enough of, is primers.
    At $130 per 1000, I am very selective about what I reload.
    Have been getting primers locally at Academy for $80 per k so start reloading. Go online, have them notify you when in stock and jump on them. Price still high but so is everything.

captainkirkw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Austin Tx
    My point was that if the gun needs aftermarket parts so that it works right in the first place I don't want it. This is always the question about plastic guide rods vs. metal. I have never had a plastic one fail but if you want to buy a metal one go for it. Now if the gun is notorious for breaking plastic guide rods I wouldn't buy it.Triggers the same, if you like the feel of a different one go for it. M*Carbo and similar companies make parts that improve the gun. If it must have a M*Carbo part to work I don't buy it in the first place. Ruger has always provided good service and I would let them pay for the fix.
    I hear you and I will definitely see what Ruger has to say about it. After more research, I found a few reports of the takedown pin shearing off so it could be that mine was not machined correctly but again, I do like the design of the M*Carbo one better. I'm not planning on changing the guide rod or anything else, but it will not hurt to have an extra takedown pin whether it is one from Ruger or aftermarket since it is so small and could easily get lost.

I've been reading posts and watching videos about the LCP Max since it came out, most have been favorable and the ones that had problems usually had the resolved by Ruger so I have every intention of getting this little thing to run right and was just hoping it would have gone better right out of the gate. So hopefully Ruger will get it taken care of and I can get back to shooting it.

captainkirkw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2023
    Austin Tx
    Ruger replaced my first Ruger Max after multiple failures and trips back to Ruger. The new one is flawless. Ruger will make it right.
    That is what I have been hearing about Ruger so hopefully Ruger will get this one taken care of. The only other Ruger I own is a Mark IV 22 Lite and have never had any issues with it nor any of my other makes and models.

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    Ruger replaced my first Ruger Max after multiple failures and trips back to Ruger. The new one is flawless. Ruger will make it right.
    That’s the good thing about Ruger, I had issues with my Max-9 and they replaced it immediately. Very good customer service.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    In the 80's I started shooting IHMSA with a 357 Blackhawk. A novice I started reloading for it, one round locked up the cylinder. Returned it to Ruger with a letter explaining what happened. The state championship was coming up and I called Ruger, explained how I wanted to shoot in the championship. I received the gun two days later by Express Mail. Went to the shoot and scored a trophy.

kittyhawk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NE Houston
    That’s interesting to hear about the pins. I have an older LCP Custom and have been kicking around getting a MAX but after hearing multiple issues with it I think I’ll keep my Custom and just carry an extra Mag. After I changed the recoil spring it shoots flawlessly with anything I feed it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      540.7 KB · Views: 27

Jim Lahey

Zor!
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Edgewood Tx
    I was looking forward to breaking in my new Davidson's Exclusive Ruger LCP Max Elite this weekend but it wasn't meant to be. The Max was pretty greasy in the bag when I picked it up at my LGS so I took it apart, inspected it, and cleaned it up when I got home, which is something always do anyway. I was hoping to get around 200 rounds through it but I was only able to try six shots as I had multiple FTF's and fortunately noticed that the takedown pin was working its way out. I pulled the pin out and inspected everything but then had a lot of difficulty trying to get the takedown pin to go back in. As I kept trying, the pin popped out and landed in front of the railing where all of the spent casings get swept into so I figured it was a lost cause. However, I decided to snap a photo with my cell phone and thought there might be a chance and as I zoomed in, there it was propped up against the front of the concrete and a spent casing.

View attachment 380253

View attachment 380254

So while I was lucky enough to find it, I decided that I was not going to try it again and I will be contacting Ruger. No matter what they decide to do, I am going to order the M*CARBO takedown pin as it looks to be better made anyway.

I'll post back when I hear from Ruger.
    Ill take that brass! Lol

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom