• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kaarnij

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    Dallas,Texas
    I am amazed that there are no places to go to shoot. Growing up in California we always had areas within the County that discharging firearms was legal. It was fantastic, you would drive into the canyon, find a place where you were comfortable that you could conduct your activity safely, drop the tailgate, strap up like it was WWIII and run tactical drills, run and gun, speed drawing, transition drills etc. Truly unsupervised, and this was in Los Angeles which obviously is less accepting of its fire arms owning citizens.

I just find it hard to believe such a place does does not exist. I am so off put by these poorly managed and overly regulated ranges and how they treat the general public. I do not want some pimple faced range officer challenging me on if my target practice is rapid fire, which it is not! Discharging my weapon at a rate of 1 round every 5 seconds is not rapid fire, it is good controlled practice.

So how does a responsible citizen and CHL master competency of technics or unusual position firing, fast draw and reloads when the ranges wont allow you to do anything of the sort. Unless of course you want to dump 500 dollars into their overcrowded watered down classes that accomplish very little in terms of real time individual training or advancement. And when the class is over, where does one practice what has been learned?

Someone help me.....I need somewhere to shoot within an hour of DFW airport!!!!!!!!!!!
    Venture Surplus ad

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    TDSA in Ferris is pretty good. I shoot 3 gun and USPSA matches out there pretty often. While I'm not sure of all of the range rules, I'm pretty sure you can do anything you want as long as you do it safely. It's probably worth a tour of the facility if it isn't too far. (972) 217-1182.

dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    TDSA in Ferris is pretty good. I shoot 3 gun and USPSA matches out there pretty often. While I'm not sure of all of the range rules, I'm pretty sure you can do anything you want as long as you do it safely. It's probably worth a tour of the facility if it isn't too far. (972) 217-1182.

I am a member at TDSA and yes, everything you are looking to do can be done there. Rules are basically....eye protection is a must, dont let a round go over the birm, dont shoot the steel targets with rifles, and dont pick up brass you didnt shoot. That about covers it. Nothing will be said to you outside of those things unless you are just being stupid and unsafe.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    You should look into idpa matches or practices. That is a way to track your progress in a controlled enviornment. The range in Paris is asking the lines of what you are looking for also.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    I am amazed that there are no places to go to shoot. Growing up in California we always had areas within the County that discharging firearms was legal. It was fantastic, you would drive into the canyon, find a place where you were comfortable that you could conduct your activity safely, drop the tailgate, strap up like it was WWIII and run tactical drills, run and gun, speed drawing, transition drills etc. Truly unsupervised, and this was in Los Angeles which obviously is less accepting of its fire arms owning citizens.

I just find it hard to believe such a place does does not exist. I am so off put by these poorly managed and overly regulated ranges and how they treat the general public. I do not want some pimple faced range officer challenging me on if my target practice is rapid fire, which it is not! Discharging my weapon at a rate of 1 round every 5 seconds is not rapid fire, it is good controlled practice.

So how does a responsible citizen and CHL master competency of technics or unusual position firing, fast draw and reloads when the ranges wont allow you to do anything of the sort. Unless of course you want to dump 500 dollars into their overcrowded watered down classes that accomplish very little in terms of real time individual training or advancement. And when the class is over, where does one practice what has been learned?

Someone help me.....I need somewhere to shoot within an hour of DFW airport!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem Texas has is there is LITTLE state land. Most of Texas is privately owned, so you don't have that luxury unless you own or know someone who has that amount of land. The closest thing I've had is Parker County Sportsman Club. About 90 minutes from DFW.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    So how does a responsible citizen and CHL master competency of technics or unusual position firing, fast draw and reloads when the ranges wont allow you to do anything of the sort.

Welcome to Texas, where almost all land is owned by someone.

Land is expensive here, especially within reasonable driving distance of the city - so every bit of land nearby cost someone a BUNDLE, and they darned well want to see a return on that investment if they're going to allow someone to shoot on it. Those are the facts - you can whine about them or work with them.

You want no restrictions? Then you buy your own land; you're not expecting anyone else to do it, are you?

Other than Dallas Pistol Club (whose waiting-list I believe is running a few years long at the moment), there's Mickey's lease west of Wilmer down I45 on the Trinity River. Cost you $300 or so for the year - shoot full-auto there too, if you like.

Discharging my weapon at a rate of 1 round every 5 seconds is not rapid fire, it is good controlled practice.
    Agreed. Actually, I'd consider that slow fire - who was the ignoramus who called that "rapid-fire"?

Last edited:

CJ7nvrstk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Prosper, TX
    Not sure of the status of Jacob's Plain but that may be an option for you. Haven't been out there for a while and it looks like their website is down.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    ShootSmart gives you the flexibility to do those things. You'll be spoiled with the private lane.

Next but further out is Parker.

Ultimate solution, buy your own land.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Elm Fork has a tactical bay but I haven't shot it. Supposedly 25 yrd pistol/rifle/standing. I don't do hip shooting with the AR10.

swolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Midlothian, TX
    I found a range, completely by accident, that I think you might like. I've been shooting there for a couple of years and they're great folks.

Look up Proactive Defense. It's just off I-35W one exit north of the Texas Motor Speedway. I think it's the FM 1171 exit. Hook a left over the bridge and keep heading west. The blacktop will end, just keep going to the bottom of the hill. You'll see the gate on your right and signs for Quail Creek Shooting Range.

But here's the deal. You don't want to shoot at Quail Creek. It's a great public range but not what your looking for.

As you enter the Quail Creek parking area keep to the left and go up the hill to the left of the green CHL training room building. This is the Proactive Defense Range. Proactive Defense is more of a defensive and tactical training type facility. They do offer memberships but will let you shoot by the hour. Proactive has steel, moving target systems and you are welcome to set up tactical drills in the bays, shoot and move, all from the holster. Ask for Chris, Caleb, or Justin. They'll take good care of you.

Btw, I'll be there at 8:00 in the morning. If you see a guy in a black John Deere cap come by and say hi.

texagun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    North Texas
    As you enter the Quail Creek parking area keep to the left and go up the hill to the left of the green CHL training room building. This is the Proactive Defense Range. Proactive Defense is more of a defensive and tactical training type facility. They do offer memberships but will let you shoot by the hour.

How much do they charge to shoot by the hour? How much are the memberships?

tactic-als

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Whitesboro
    I googled Proactive Defense and it appears to be for instruction only? Do they have a rifle range that extends past 100 yards? 200 yards? Further?

swolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2012
    Midlothian, TX
    Proactive has training programs and scheduled drills but it is not a training only facility. The range has three bays, the longest of which is 25 yards. Quail Creek, which is collocated with Proactive has a 100 range. Neither is a long range rifle facility.

texagun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    North Texas
    Proactive has training programs and scheduled drills but it is not a training only facility. The range has three bays, the longest of which is 25 yards. Quail Creek, which is collocated with Proactive has a 100 range. Neither is a long range rifle facility.

What are the range fees at Proactive???

Top Bottom