[UPDATED] Seeking perspective on a situation my neighbor is going through...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neighbor was charged for drawing a firearm. Looking for perspective.

• The aggravated assault with a deadly weapon charge was appropriate.

Votes: 10 32.3%
    • Drawing his gun would have been fine, had he not pointed it at the husband.

Votes: 6 19.4%
    • It was complete self defense and he should not had been charged.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I wasn't glued to it, but I listened to snippets on my local AM radio morning show and watched "highlights" online. And yeah, even during the trial the narrative was pushed hard, even to the point of contradicting the actual testimony.
    Pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

Zimmerman was suppose to be a sacrificial lamb to further an agenda.

And anyone who thought that this was a trial about justice for Trayvon were fooled from the get go. That was the lie they were fed.
    ARJ Defense ad

Lazyfaire

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    New Braunfels
    Will this go to a grand jury? Bet the DA won't want to because he probably wouldn't be able to get a charge.

Demand a jury trial of his peers

Also another good reason to have a dash camera and surreptitiously get the parties to stand in front of it.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Will this go to a grand jury? Bet the DA won't want to because he probably wouldn't be able to get a charge.

Demand a jury trial of his peers

Also another good reason to have a dash camera and surreptitiously get the parties to stand in front of it.

Texas Criminal Code requires all felony charges (agg assault w/deadly weapon is a second degree felony charge) go before a grand jury prior to prosecution.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Forgive me if I missed any details...

A LTS crash is a breach of the peace
    Look up Texas code of criminal procedure for your arrest authorities, but he is, or should be, good there.

While there male pounds fist, saying he's going to "kick your ass" and takes step forward towards him. It SURE sounds like force would be justified to stop this person from committing an assault. If force is justified, the threat of deadly force is justified. End of story.

Why are charges being pressed? Did I miss something or where you maybe not told the whole story?

Read these:

CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
    Art. 14.01. OFFENSE WITHIN VIEW. (a) A peace officer or

***any other person***,

may, without a warrant, arrest an offender when the offense is committed in his presence or within his view, if the offense is one classed as a felony or as an offense against the public peace.

And the appropriate section of penal code describing force and deadly force.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Forgive me if I missed any details...

A LTS crash is a breach of the peace
    Look up Texas code of criminal procedure for your arrest authorities, but he is, or should be, good there.

While there male pounds fist, saying he's going to "kick your ass" and takes step forward towards him. It SURE sounds like force would be justified to stop this person from committing an assault. If force is justified, the threat of deadly force is justified. End of story.

Why are charges being pressed? Did I miss something or where you maybe not told the whole story?

Read these:

CODE OF CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
    Art. 14.01. OFFENSE WITHIN VIEW. (a) A peace officer or

***any other person***,

may, without a warrant, arrest an offender when the offense is committed in his presence or within his view, if the offense is one classed as a felony or as an offense against the public peace.

And the appropriate section of penal code describing force and deadly force.

I brought that up very early. I disagree that LTS is a breach of the peace. If it is, then a shop owner can legally prevent someone from leaving while waiting for LE to show up to trespass that person and we know they can throw you out but they can’t keep you from leaving.

Second the transportation code requires a movable vehicle to be moved out of the roadway and doesn’t require LE at a non-injury accident, so in my book it would be real hard for me, as a juror, to convict on a disorderly conduct charge.

See Woods v. State, 152 Tex. Crim. 338, 213 S.W.2d 685 (Tex. Crim. App. 1948)

June 16, 1948. Appellant's Motion for Rehearing Denied (Without Written Opinion) October 13, 1948.

1. — Arrest — Without Warrant.

One not a peace officer may arrest without a warrant an offender who has committed an "offense against the public peace" in his presence or within his view.

2. — Peace — Breach of — Defined.
    The term "breach of the peace" is generic, and includes all violations of the public peace or order, or decorum.

3. — Peace — Breach of — Circumstances.
    Whether or not a given act or state of conduct amounts to a breach of the peace depends upon the circumstances attending the act.

4. — Peace — Breach of — Acts Constituting.
    An unprovoked assault by a man upon a woman in a public place and in the presence of her husband and others is a breach of the peace.

5. — Arrest — Without Warrant — Right Limited.
    The right of a private individual to arrest without a warrant for a breach of the peace, is limited to the time the offense is committed or while there is continuing danger of its renewal.

6. — Arrest — Without Warrant — Pursuit Not Included.
    The right of a private individual to arrest without a warrant does not include the right to pursue and arrest for the purpose of insuring apprehension and trial of the offender.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    This is the point that will get him prosecuted. Once he took chase, he stopped being the victim and became the aggressor, no matter what the intentions were. Second, chasing a hit and run driver in Texas is against the law and can result in a felony on certain situations. So now you have a criminal act of chasing down a hit and run, plus an aggravated assault with a firearm. The aggravated assault charge could have been thrown out on it's own, but since he gave pursuit, this stopped being a self defense case.

What law says not to chase a hit and runner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I brought that up very early. I disagree that LTS is a breach of the peace. If it is, then a shop owner can legally prevent someone from leaving while waiting for LE to show up to trespass that person and we know they can throw you out but they can’t keep you from leaving.

Second the transportation code requires a movable vehicle to be moved out of the roadway and doesn’t require LE at a non-injury accident, so in my book it would be real hard for me, as a juror, to convict on a disorderly conduct charge.

See Woods v. State, 152 Tex. Crim. 338, 213 S.W.2d 685 (Tex. Crim. App. 1948)

June 16, 1948. Appellant's Motion for Rehearing Denied (Without Written Opinion) October 13, 1948.

1. — Arrest — Without Warrant.

One not a peace officer may arrest without a warrant an offender who has committed an "offense against the public peace" in his presence or within his view.

2. — Peace — Breach of — Defined.
    The term "breach of the peace" is generic, and includes all violations of the public peace or order, or decorum.

3. — Peace — Breach of — Circumstances.
    Whether or not a given act or state of conduct amounts to a breach of the peace depends upon the circumstances attending the act.

4. — Peace — Breach of — Acts Constituting.
    An unprovoked assault by a man upon a woman in a public place and in the presence of her husband and others is a breach of the peace.

5. — Arrest — Without Warrant — Right Limited.
    The right of a private individual to arrest without a warrant for a breach of the peace, is limited to the time the offense is committed or while there is continuing danger of its renewal.

6. — Arrest — Without Warrant — Pursuit Not Included.
    The right of a private individual to arrest without a warrant does not include the right to pursue and arrest for the purpose of insuring apprehension and trial of the offender.
    Re: trespass...

Snatching someone up an simply holding them until police arrive to document a trespass warning isn't justified.

However, if the person is told to leave and refuses, force (violence) is explicitly justified. I have seen a Travis County Judge sign an affidavit of arrest for Trespass not in view of the officer because the officer articulated it was a breach of the peace. Several driving offenses can be articulated as a breaches of the peace I think a crash (violent and dangerous) and then unlawfully fleeing the scene before providing the law information requirwd by law is a breach of the peace and could allow any person to arrest.

In Kunkle V State of Texas*:

The generally accepted explanation of what constitutes a “breach of the peace” is contained in Woods v. State, which states in part:

"Actual or threatened violence is an essential element of a breach of the peace.   Either one is sufficient to constitute the offense.   Accordingly, where means which cause disquiet and disorder, and which threaten danger and disaster to the community, are used, it amounts to a breach of the peace, although no actual personal violence is employed."

In other words, a threat of violence to the community is sufficient to constitute a breach of the peace.

What constitutes a breach of the peace is to be determined on a case-by-case basis, looking to the facts and circumstances surrounding the act.
    END OF KUNKEL

*I edited the detailed case info out for readability.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The generally accepted explanation of what constitutes a “breach of the peace” is contained in Woods v. State, which states in part:

"Actual or threatened violence is an essential element of a breach of the peace.   Either one is sufficient to constitute the offense.   Accordingly, where means which cause disquiet and disorder, and which threaten danger and disaster to the community, are used, it amounts to a breach of the peace, although no actual personal violence is employed."

In other words, a threat of violence to the community is sufficient to constitute a breach of the peace.
    Ironically, Woods v. State, 213 S.W.2d 685 (Tex. Crim. App. 1948) is precedential and very clearly limits the citizen's right of pursuit and is drawn from another precedential case, Satterwhite.

Very clearly, the Woods court held:
    The rule of law established by the Satterwhite* case, then, appears to be that the right of a private individual to arrest without warrant for a breach of the peace, committed in his presence or view, is limited to the time the offense is committed or while there is continuing danger of its renewal, and does not include the right to pursue and arrest for the purpose of insuring the apprehension or future trial of the offender.​
    *Satterwhite v. State,112 Tex. Crim. 574, 17 S.W.2d 823
    Appellant was not a peace officer in the sense that his right to effect arrests was governed by the statutes defining the duties of peace officers. However under the terms of Art. 212, C. C. P., Appellant was not a peace officer in the sense that his right to effect arrests was governed by the statutes defining the duties of peace officers. However under the terms of Art. 212, C. C. P., if a breach of the peace was committed by deceased in his presence or view, appellant had the right at the time of the commission of the offense to arrest deceased without a warrant. This right however would not continue, after the breach of the peace had ceased. It has been held that the right to make all arrest in cases of breach of the peace is confined to the time of the commission of the offense. See Corpus Juris, Vol. 5, p. 413, Cook v. Nethercote, 6 C. P. 741 and other cases cited. See Corpus Juris, Vol. 5, p. 413, Cook v. Nethercote, 6 C. P. 741 and other cases cited.​
    In the case of Carlos the Neighbor, the breach of the peace was the accident. Once the other vehicle left the scene, the power of a citizen to arrest (detain) without warrant evaporated. At least that's what the precedential case law holds.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Ironically, Woods v. State, 213 S.W.2d 685 (Tex. Crim. App. 1948) is precedential and very clearly limits the citizen's right of pursuit and is drawn from another precedential case, Satterwhite.

Very clearly, the Woods court held:
    The rule of law established by the Satterwhite* case, then, appears to be that the right of a private individual to arrest without warrant for a breach of the peace, committed in his presence or view, is limited to the time the offense is committed or while there is continuing danger of its renewal, and does not include the right to pursue and arrest for the purpose of insuring the apprehension or future trial of the offender.​
    *Satterwhite v. State,112 Tex. Crim. 574, 17 S.W.2d 823
    Appellant was not a peace officer in the sense that his right to effect arrests was governed by the statutes defining the duties of peace officers. However under the terms of Art. 212, C. C. P., Appellant was not a peace officer in the sense that his right to effect arrests was governed by the statutes defining the duties of peace officers. However under the terms of Art. 212, C. C. P., if a breach of the peace was committed by deceased in his presence or view, appellant had the right at the time of the commission of the offense to arrest deceased without a warrant. This right however would not continue, after the breach of the peace had ceased. It has been held that the right to make all arrest in cases of breach of the peace is confined to the time of the commission of the offense. See Corpus Juris, Vol. 5, p. 413, Cook v. Nethercote, 6 C. P. 741 and other cases cited. See Corpus Juris, Vol. 5, p. 413, Cook v. Nethercote, 6 C. P. 741 and other cases cited.​
    In the case of Carlos the Neighbor, the breach of the peace was the accident. Once the other vehicle left the scene, the power of a citizen to arrest (detain) without warrant evaporated. At least that's what the precedential case law holds.
    I think he was within his rights to pursue and follow the crash was caused by driving, they continued to drive creating a continuous danger of re-occurrence. (This would be my argument to the judge anyway)

At the very least, pursuing is fraught with danger and is a fine line to tread.

I am interested to see what a court and jury decide on this case.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    The prudent thing would be to get the vehicle plate number and give it to the police. Then notify your insurance company. The woman would continue on home and her husband could chew her ass out and you would not be arrested and would not be out any money.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    The prudent thing would be to get the vehicle plate number and give it to the police. Then notify your insurance company. The woman would continue on home and her husband could chew her ass out and you would not be arrested and would not be out any money.
    And a GOOD driver description with a photo if at all possible. Without a good witness able to place a driver behind the wheel, there cannot realistically be a prosecution.

Top Bottom