• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mgdan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Okla and Bangkok Thailand
    Has anyone ever shipped as an non-FFL a handgun to ones self from one state to another, for the purpose of hunting or other lawfull purpose. UPS say only FFLs can send and recieve. The AFT Q&A says different you can. Page 177 in 2005 edition.B9
    Target Sports

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    I have sent guns to family members for hunts, but I always send them to a FFL in their area to transfer the guns.When they are done with them they mail them to my FFL.

mgdan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2008
    Okla and Bangkok Thailand
    I was just speaking to guys at the Shilo Shooting Range, asking the same question. However since I am a resident of OK, I would ship to the TX FL a handgun that he would book in but could not sell to me since I am not a resident of Tex. I am flying in from Thailand on a extended businees trip and want my CCW gun that is in Ok. I think the best way on short notice is to purchase a gun from an individual, bill of sale, etc, here in Houston.
    I can always use a good pretested handgun, in .45 of course.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The way I understand it you can ship to yourself however it is only supposed to be you that "receives"/opens the package. Also, just fyi but, UPS can always come up with any of their own policies if they want to, considering they are a private company. If they don't want to let you ship to yourself, that's up to them. I've found that most UPS and Fedex stores are rather annoying when it comes to anything firearms or ammunition related. I once had an argument with a guy about shipping a handgun at his Fedex location, when I had just shipped one there a week or 2 before. He kept rattling off the standard line "guns can only be shipped to a federally licensed dealer". I explained to him that the person I was shipping to (gun store owner) is a FFL, which means he is a federally licensed dealer, and the dude kept arguing with me.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    UPS say only FFLs can send and recieve.

Not according to their website:

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms

Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment

UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Has anyone ever shipped as an non-FFL a handgun to ones self from one state to another, for the purpose of hunting or other lawfull purpose. UPS say only FFLs can send and recieve. The AFT Q&A says different you can. Page 177 in 2005 edition.B9

I think UPS and Fedex are still currently the only 2 common carriers that will ship handguns. As far as shipping to yourself, they may not regardless of Fed. Laws. Long guns are more easily explained if you're hunting, but they're easier to ship. By Law, you can ship to yourself in care of another person for legal use such as competition, hunting, other sport etc.

If you're shipping to a manufacture or someone to work on it, the other person/manufacture etc. must be on file with them. They have to know them since the address of the recipient can't refer to guns in any way. For example, Kimber uses KMI as their address. UPS knows and has KMI in their system.

If you're trying a UPS Store, they can't ship guns. Only customer counters at UPS Hubs. Not sure about Fedex but they may be the same way.

BTW, if you package your gun nice and secure and pretty, be prepared for them to rip it open to inspect it, then tape it all back up. :D Kinda pissed me off since being an EX UPS employee, I knew the proper UPS packaging procedure and had it all pretty.

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    i agree with whoever said that each place can come up with their own "policies" at anytime or tell you what they "think" is right. you cant really do anything about it. if they do not accept your package for shipment, it doesnt get shipped.

i know a guy that shipped firearms to dallas from houston without using a FFL, they just didnt declare it as a firearm. <-- do that at your own risk though since im pretty sure you can get in some trouble since its through state lines.

to the OP, if you're flying in from bangkok, might wanna stop by ok, grab your ccw, and fly to houston with it? or yea, get yourself a private sale locally.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    i agree with whoever said that each place can come up with their own "policies" at anytime or tell you what they "think" is right. you cant really do anything about it. if they do not accept your package for shipment, it doesnt get shipped.

i know a guy that shipped firearms to dallas from houston without using a FFL, they just didnt declare it as a firearm. <-- do that at your own risk though since im pretty sure you can get in some trouble since its through state lines.

to the OP, if you're flying in from bangkok, might wanna stop by ok, grab your ccw, and fly to houston with it? or yea, get yourself a private sale locally.

Dallas to Houston IS in the same state.

BTW, you can ship long guns without FFL within your own state.

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    i dont think you understood me. he was able to avoid FFL because he didnt tell them it was a firearm. if he would of told them it was a firearm, they wouldnt of accepted the package unless it was going to an FFL, not all fedex/ups employees know that you can ship within your state to a non-ffl.. i dont think you caught what i was trying to say sir.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    i dont think you understood me. he was able to avoid FFL because he didnt tell them it was a firearm. if he would of told them it was a firearm, they wouldnt of accepted the package unless it was going to an FFL, not all fedex/ups employees know that you can ship within your state to a non-ffl.. i dont think you caught what i was trying to say sir.

Not sure what part ruffled you, but I was ribbing you for the "dallas to houston" and "since it's through state lines". :D Maybe you didn't mean what it reads but it was just harmless ribbing. The other part was just FYI, hence the "BTW".

It being a hand gun, you're right that it's a problem if/when it's discovered that you did not declare it. I've also found that UPS and Fedex employees do know, but only the ones at the right place to ship from. The Fedex and UPS stores and satellite's usually haven't a clue. But those locations can't accept guns of any kind and any time anyway. They should at least be trained to know they can't.

htxred

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    "since its through state lines" was referring to the OP's situation since he'll be shipping his ccw from Ok to Tx... ..... . ... .

and i agree that they dont have a clue.

and i think we both arent catching each other's sarcasms/jokes/cheap shots.. but as the gangsters say "its all good"

Top Bottom