UPS Store refused to ship empty pistol magazine

Texasjack

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jan 3, 2010
Occupied Texas
Remember that the Twin Sisters (the cannons used at the Battle of San Jacinto) were shipped to Texas (from the citizens of Cincinnati, Ohio) in boxes labeled, "Hollow ware" (which would typically refer to jars or vases). They were, of course, hollow, so it wasn't a lie.

"Detachable storage and feeding system"
"Spring loaded container"
"Non-integral feed system part number xxxx"
"Sheet metal (or plastic) assemblies, with spring"

dsgrey

Oct 25, 2015
Denton County
Tell them toys which seems to be what I ship mostly due to grandkids. It always gets a reaction from the counter person. Something along the lines of wow, I remember when I use to get toys delivered.

BBL

Feb 8, 2021
TX
You need to be more vague when dealing with these assholes. First, never ever mention anything firearm related just say "metal parts". Second, prepare your shipment in advance and simply drop it off.
I do not normally ship UPS, only when returning something to Amazon.
I prefer FedEx who has a store on our street.
I love preparing my shipment in advance. I type it in, check that there are no errors or typos, get 15% discount, print the label, slap it on the package, skip any lines at the FedEx store and just hand it to the employees.
Why would I waste my life with:
- standing in line?
- writing down stuff with a pen on paper?
- waiting on the staff to type it in?
- correcting what the staff typed in wrong?

V-Tach

TGT Addict
Forum Sponsor
Sep 30, 2012
Texas
Yep, our local UPS Store won't ship firearms either.......says their insurance won't cover it....

I dropped off a pre labeled package once.....on the way out the lady asked if it was a rifle.....I said no and walked out the door.........

It was a shotgun...........

Ozzman

Aug 17, 2015
El Paso, Texas
I went to my local UPS store.... . when asked what was in the package, told them "an empty magazine".
Was there really a need for them to know? I would have said that was none of your business, but I digress.

If you really felt you had to declare something tell them it is "mechanical parts" or "stamped aluminum with a plastic follower".
No reason to tell them specifics as long as you are following their rules.

ETA: I didn't see all the other posts on this stating the exact same thing... I thought I was the first lol. I guess most of us have become good at avoiding issues like this.

Fishkiller

Well-Known
Jul 22, 2019
Frederickburg
The UPS store is not allowed to handle anything related to a firearm. UPS locations can and do accept firearms and parts, but they ban the stores which are franchise locations. Went to ship a scope and the guy at the store said nope. I asked if binoculars were ok and he said yes. He agreed it is a shit brain rule and put it down as binos. So here in the big town there is not a place to ship a firearm, I have to drive all the way to Kerrville (about 20 miles)

BuzzinSATX

Dec 20, 2013
New Braunfels
Was there really a need for them to know? I would have said that was none of your business, but I digress.

If you really felt you had to declare something tell them it is "mechanical parts" or "stamped aluminum with a plastic follower".
No reason to tell them specifics as long as you are following their rules.

ETA: I didn't see all the other posts on this stating the exact same thing... I thought I was the first lol. I guess most of us have become good at avoiding issues like this.
It was a casual conversation really, lady asks me what’s in the box, and I said a magazine for a handgun. I told her it was unloaded and no ammo was in the package. That’s when she told me I couldn’t ship it. Up until then, I didn’t think it was an issue, so I didn’t think I had a reason to hide it. Guess I’ll know next time then I’ll be way more vague, but I’m not about hiding what I do either.

Ultimately, I’m going to a business for a service. They have the right to tell me what they will and won’t do, and I have the right to use them or not.

I’m a believer that honesty is the best policy, but sometimes too much honesty can get you bit in the butt. Lesson learned.

Support

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Shroud
Every Day Man

Forum statistics

Threads