• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Remember that the Twin Sisters (the cannons used at the Battle of San Jacinto) were shipped to Texas (from the citizens of Cincinnati, Ohio) in boxes labeled, "Hollow ware" (which would typically refer to jars or vases). They were, of course, hollow, so it wasn't a lie.

"Detachable storage and feeding system"
    "Spring loaded container"
    "Non-integral feed system part number xxxx"
    "Sheet metal (or plastic) assemblies, with spring"

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Tell them toys which seems to be what I ship mostly due to grandkids. It always gets a reaction from the counter person. Something along the lines of wow, I remember when I use to get toys delivered.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    You need to be more vague when dealing with these assholes. First, never ever mention anything firearm related just say "metal parts". Second, prepare your shipment in advance and simply drop it off.
    I do not normally ship UPS, only when returning something to Amazon.
    I prefer FedEx who has a store on our street.
    I love preparing my shipment in advance. I type it in, check that there are no errors or typos, get 15% discount, print the label, slap it on the package, skip any lines at the FedEx store and just hand it to the employees.
    Why would I waste my life with:
    - standing in line?
    - writing down stuff with a pen on paper?
    - waiting on the staff to type it in?
    - correcting what the staff typed in wrong?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Yep, our local UPS Store won't ship firearms either.......says their insurance won't cover it....

I dropped off a pre labeled package once.....on the way out the lady asked if it was a rifle.....I said no and walked out the door.........

It was a shotgun...........

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    I went to my local UPS store.... . when asked what was in the package, told them "an empty magazine".

Was there really a need for them to know? I would have said that was none of your business, but I digress.

If you really felt you had to declare something tell them it is "mechanical parts" or "stamped aluminum with a plastic follower".
    No reason to tell them specifics as long as you are following their rules.

ETA: I didn't see all the other posts on this stating the exact same thing... I thought I was the first lol. I guess most of us have become good at avoiding issues like this.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    The UPS store is not allowed to handle anything related to a firearm. UPS locations can and do accept firearms and parts, but they ban the stores which are franchise locations. Went to ship a scope and the guy at the store said nope. I asked if binoculars were ok and he said yes. He agreed it is a shit brain rule and put it down as binos. So here in the big town there is not a place to ship a firearm, I have to drive all the way to Kerrville (about 20 miles)

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Was there really a need for them to know? I would have said that was none of your business, but I digress.

If you really felt you had to declare something tell them it is "mechanical parts" or "stamped aluminum with a plastic follower".
    No reason to tell them specifics as long as you are following their rules.

ETA: I didn't see all the other posts on this stating the exact same thing... I thought I was the first lol. I guess most of us have become good at avoiding issues like this.
    It was a casual conversation really, lady asks me what’s in the box, and I said a magazine for a handgun. I told her it was unloaded and no ammo was in the package. That’s when she told me I couldn’t ship it. Up until then, I didn’t think it was an issue, so I didn’t think I had a reason to hide it. Guess I’ll know next time then I’ll be way more vague, but I’m not about hiding what I do either.

Ultimately, I’m going to a business for a service. They have the right to tell me what they will and won’t do, and I have the right to use them or not.

I’m a believer that honesty is the best policy, but sometimes too much honesty can get you bit in the butt. Lesson learned.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Wow. When did this policy change?

I owe UPS and FedEX for most of my milsurp collection from 2004 to 2012. I got to know the UPS driver from my area well back when I had my C&R.
    I have always assumed that the only place I can ship firearms is at the FedEx terminal or UPS terminal. I know that the satellite stores won’t ship them.

I’m not in FFL, but when shipping to Glock in other locations, I ship when I can without using a dealer. However, I didn’t think parts were banned. Like I said, lesson learned.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    It was a casual conversation really, lady asks me what’s in the box, and I said a magazine for a handgun. I told her it was unloaded and no ammo was in the package. That’s when she told me I couldn’t ship it. Up until then, I didn’t think it was an issue, so I didn’t think I had a reason to hide it. Guess I’ll know next time then I’ll be way more vague, but I’m not about hiding what I do either.

Ultimately, I’m going to a business for a service. They have the right to tell me what they will and won’t do, and I have the right to use them or not.

I’m a believer that honesty is the best policy, but sometimes too much honesty can get you bit in the butt. Lesson learned.

You are too nice my friend. Unlike me, you are ready for the rapture.

IMO, when it comes to firearms or anything related to them I tend to stay quiet and not say too much unless it is people that I know well, or who I go shooting with. I don't tell the cop that I have unpaid parking tickets, I don't tell the IRS that I have "more" receipts somewhere, and I don't tell anyone what is in the package I am about to ship.

Honesty is good, but that is why we have the 5th amendment right?
    It is up to the accuser to prove guilt, don't lie then; just stay quiet.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    A little over a year ago, I visited my brother in San Antonio and let my cousin keep my gun when I left, because he was considering buying one and wanted to take it out and shoot.

When he was finished, I researched to make sure what I thought I knew about shipping pistols in Texas, was true. I don't recall if we tried USPS, or UPS, but they wouldn't ship it, stating "it's illegal to ship handguns without an FFL". Of course I argued, telling her "it's legal to ship it from one person to another, as long as it's in the same state". No matter what, they weren't going to allow it, even though their policy says it's fine.

I thought about telling my cousin not to declare it, but after looking it up even further, found out the law states that you have to declare it and it is a felony not to do so. So I called the ATF (yea I know, stupid move) thinking maybe they can advise me on how to get them to allow it to be sent, and even the ATF guy said "yea these people are F'N stupid and I'm sure none of them will ship it for you and even though I'm on your side with the idea that you should't have to declare it, I'm going to have to ask you not to do that, so you don't get in trouble for their ignorance".

It's so frustrating to me that, these days, it's as if people feel bad for pedophiles and thing all they need is help and it's not their fault and blah blah blah, but we in the fire arms community have now filled that spot, in their eyes.

I wish conservatives would band together and rise up institutions and organizations like media companies, delivery services, tech companies, banking companies, and on and on, so that we can have our own established system within the system, so that it makes it impossible for them to do what they are doing to use.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

Just like DHS at the airport, it is never casual conversation... they are looking for indicators of deception.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    I have always assumed that the only place I can ship firearms is at the FedEx terminal or UPS terminal. I know that the satellite stores won’t ship them.

I’m not in FFL, but when shipping to Glock in other locations, I ship when I can without using a dealer. However, I didn’t think parts were banned. Like I said, lesson learned.

1st answer to what is it ?
    Parts.
    What kind?
    Aircraft parts. Car parts. Whatever.

Second shipped my firearm back to Windham weaponary from my office.
    Daily UPS pick up.
    Boxed it
    Labeled it
    UPS driver loaded it up no ?

Seems some make the task of shipping an item far harder than meed be.

Just be sure you declare value if ypu want more than $100 bux back IF they lose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    after looking it up even further, found out the law states that you have to declare it and it is a felony not to do so.

You are right JColumbus, but in this case, it was a magazine, not a handgun.

I see your point though... Think of it this way, if an out-of-stater (ie Floridian) were to "attend" one of our sad gun shows here in EPT, and ended up picking up a pistol on a face-to-face purchase.; what is stopping them from field stripping the firearm and putting the pieces in a small box and (using cash) shipping it back to his home in FL? Doesn't declare anything, and says it's automotive parts.

Ticket to the Greybar Hotel, sure if caught; but what will really happen...

Nothing. The guy hits the range the following Saturday.

JColumbus

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2012
    You are right JColumbus, but in this case, it was a magazine, not a handgun.

I see your point though... Think of it this way, if an out-of-stater (ie Floridian) were to "attend" one of our sad gun shows here in EPT, and ended up picking up a pistol on a face-to-face purchase.; what is stopping them from field stripping the firearm and putting the pieces in a small box and (using cash) shipping it back to his home in FL? Doesn't declare anything, and says it's automotive parts.

Ticket to the Greybar Hotel, sure if caught; but what will really happen...

Nothing. The guy hits the range the following Saturday.

Oh no, the declaration part wasn't the point of my post, though I can see why you'd think that.

I shared my experience just to show how ignorant and power hungry these people can be. If I ship anything gun related, I don't disclose it, even if asked. I don't see why we even have to declare if it's an actual firearm.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    Everything worked fine until the citizens let assholes take our rights away. Before the infringements came you could buy and ship your firearms anyway you wanted.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I think if you want to know the best source of info for shipping firearms, go to GunDigest.com, search for Buy & Sell Guns Online and the second part of that download is called All About Shipping Guns.
    I have never seen any better explanation. That is a free download.
    A magazine is not a gun and as others have said, one can be honest by saying sporting goods, machined parts, etc.
    I think you will be impressed by the Gun Digest article.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    You need to be careful what you ship and to where. A few years ago a buddy shipped some mags from TX to his Dad in CA. Next thing he knows the FBI was knocking at his door. Finally decided he was just mistaken and not a criminal.

Top Bottom