• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    And for those pounding their superior chests to fire the guy; ever run a business?

Yes

Know anything about the liability of workplace injuries?

To a point. If I was injured I didn't work, then the business came to a halt. Which it did when I wrecked my motorcycle, broke my shoulder and was out for a bit. Luckily I never sliced off stabbed, drilled, crushed or ingested anything I wasn't suppose to while working.

Are YOU willing to put your money where your mouth is and quit your job if you have a fraction of a second lack of awareness and injure YOURSELF?
    If I blew my good hand off, yes. I'd actually have to quit. I'd probably get a hook for a hand until I could afford one of those sweet bionic units.

Can we hold off on the self-rightnousness maybe until at least the guy heals?

No relenting. Headlines involving guns impacts us all. The event will take scrutiny. But best wishes for speedy recovery.

Let's not be misleading or self righteous (to use your word). This is OP: Accidental shooting at Frisco Gun Club | wfaa.com Dallas - Fort Worth
    An employee was cleaning a gun for a patron when it discharged, wounding the employee in the hand. That person was taken to a hospital for treatment.

Does that handling not get to be criticized? Is it ok to clean a firearm without clearing and making it safe? That point stands, in all NDs. I don't care who you are. And when/if I ND on myself I'll have to take it too.

You know, you can't chastise folks for commenting on the original story. And in the original story it looked like a bone-headed ND and took flack for being a bone-headed ND. That was appropriate.

I noted in one article that the range wws going to hold additional safety training for everyone. That is prudent.

Yes. I support that and the right thing to do (I'm pretty sure "more training" was suggested earlier. So that was on target)

Now the story has changed to this one: Frisco Gun Club employee injured when gun jams on shooting range | Dallas Morning News
    An experienced employee at the new Frisco Gun Club was injured on Saturday night when he shot himself while trying to clear a jam on a customer’s gun at the indoor range, according to a club official.
    The employee, who has not been identified, “accidentally discharged it, just kind of a graze on the palm of his hand, so we had to have some paramedics come up and get him to the hospital,” Johnson said.

It sounds less stupid than shooting himself while cleaning a gun.

On a personal note this is the kind of injury I expect to take considering how I handle semiauto handguns. I will take this as a lesson and try to learn from this guy's experience rather than do the same.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Sounds like a gold mine. What am I missing here?
    Nothing...or two things, depending on your viewpoint.

First, if gun laws ever get really bad, they won't impact the rich. That's just history and experience from around the world. Plenty of European gun clubs are as nice as this one and just as elaborately equipped. Why? Because restrictive gun laws in most European countries have made guns into toys for the rich. When your client base is rich, you serve them with fancy-schmancy facilities. If gun laws get stupid over here, the affordable, rural gun club may become a thing of the past but clubs like this, who are ready to serve their "top of the 1%" clientele, will survive.

Second, as income inequality rises in this country and the middle class disappears, the high-net-worth population grows. Yes, we have lots more poor people but we're also gaining quite a few bazillionaires. Until the system collapses (which might take a decade and might take 200 more years), there will be an ample supply of people with stupid amounts of money for whom $10,000 in gun club fees is so cheap they'll pony up the bucks as an impulse buy. Grumper has contributed to this thread much wisdom in that vein.

Every society has outliers. That includes outliers in wealth. I don't begrudge them anything. However, places like this, in the supposedly egalitarian U.S.A., disturb me on a very basic level. History has shown us that when the curve for normal distribution of wealth becomes inverted, civilizations become highly unstable or die.

In the meantime, one of the few overall strategies for staying comfortable if you weren't born into money or just lucky is to provide products and services to the incredibly rich. Why do USD$500K monoblock amplifiers sell as fast as talented craftsmen can assemble them? Why have so many gunsmiths started charging completely ridiculous, totally unjustifiable (based on the time, skill, and resources required) high prices for their "custom/exclusive lifestyle" hunting rifles?

The reason is that the uber-rich are proliferating and, for them, dropping the equivalent of a years middle-class wages on a toy is no big deal.

It's no wonder that super-duper shooting ranges are being built in many places. It's all part of a very basic shift in the economy and income distribution in the U.S.A.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Guess I look at it differently. People that have that kind of money to drop on a gun club are usually of the "more money than brains" variety. The same type of guy you see with a new Lamborghini and cant drive it for shit but it looks good. And I hate indoor ranges. As noted earlier this is just a different iteration of a country club golf course.

Top Bottom