• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    My truck is a 2013 Ram 2500 4x4 SLT diesel. It's got less than 17k miles on it and it's kept indoors unless I'm driving it. Almost all those miles are towing miles. My boat is a 24" Sportsman Master. Total weight of boat and trailer are about three tons.

I paid $41k for the truck and got 2.4% financing from the dealer.

I made sure to buy enough truck to tow my boat. I just need to go fishing more often. Hopefully now that I have most of my plumbing problems fixed I'll be doing that.

Dealer changes the oil in my truck, I got 20 free oil changes in the deal. That's a big saving son the Cummins. My wife takes the Tahoe to Eagle Quick Lube in Kaufman, that's also where we get our inspections. The owner is a Navy Vet and he runs a tight ship. No upselling. If they tell ya your wipers need replaced then they're rotten. Around here you NEED to change those blades at least once a year. The sun kills those blades.
    Hurley's Gold

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Sometimes the stars align and you can get a killer deal on a new car. I bought a Pontiac G8 GT off the lot, right as Pontiac was folding and the dealership was going under. Every single car in inventory was slated to head off to auction in a week, so I got a unit for the dealer's holding cost. I drove the car for two years, and traded it in for MORE than I originally paid.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Lol and I can’t wait to test drive the new luvs I mean Colorado/canyons

I saw one the other day that was a super bright red. Almost looked day glow. My eyes hurt looking it. It was one of those quick glance shades of red. Pretty none the less...for an Isuzu.

I used to own a Datsun pick up, it was a good little truck.

My middle brother was a Datsun mechanic. He owned a few of them. There was Datsun parts all over the place. He had a vintage Datsun but as brothers go. It got busted up on all four sides. I think it was a T-post I used(?).

Found a picture of the body style. I messed that truck up and good. 1968 Datsun.

e85d5326712f3eb84355a0a37c8c44d7--pugs-pickup.jpg

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Sometimes the stars align and you can get a killer deal on a new car. I bought a Pontiac G8 GT off the lot, right as Pontiac was folding and the dealership was going under. Every single car in inventory was slated to head off to auction in a week, so I got a unit for the dealer's holding cost. I drove the car for two years, and traded it in for MORE than I originally paid.
    In 2008 we bought a brand new Chevy Tahoe. They were usually in the low $40k’s. One Chevy dealer in Corpus had shut down, and they transferred their leftover inventory to another dealer that really didn’t want it. After my active military discount it, we got it for $28,500. The wife drove it for 6 years, and got $27,000 trade in value when we got her new Buick.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I had an 82 Datsun pick up, it kind of chapped my hide that I gave it to my ex because she couldn't afford the minivan that was still in my name after we divorced.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    On American motors at the time. You'd have to cut the ridge in an engine cylinder to get the piston out.

On the Datsun, it could have 150k miles on it and not wear the ridge. Supposedly they were high nickel engine blocks. The internals were all heavy duty. The trucks had a small cross member brace you could unbolt to drop the oil pan. Big brother' would put rings and bearings in one in couple hours.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Absolutely. It’s very common for people not to change their own oil, plugs, oil cooler, ujoints, air filter, sensors, diff oil, Bruce Jenner fluid, ect.

I've done some of those and don't have the knowledge/courage to do others. I have to admit, when it comes to cars, I have a big fear of royally fouling up a DIY job. Youtube and the net has helped a lot in that regard for simple things. I just don't have the tools or knowledge to do the big work. Cars are one of my DIY limitations and I'm ok with that.

I've learned my lesson with the extended warranties. I bought one for my wife's Expedition we bought lightly used (and it was a third party warranty to boot). That was a big mess up. We used it a few times but we didn't get our money's worth out of it. I didn't buy one for my car and that nearly started a fight with the F&I manager at the dealership I bought it from and nearly walked from the whole deal over it.

I'm a slow learner sometimes but I've learned my lessons over warranties and buying cars new. I want a beater truck I can drive on occasion as needed. Something I can tinker with and not be too worried about screwing up would be good.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I've done some of those and don't have the knowledge/courage to do others. I have to admit, when it comes to cars, I have a big fear of royally fouling up a DIY job. Youtube and the net has helped a lot in that regard for simple things. I just don't have the tools or knowledge to do the big work. Cars are one of my DIY limitations and I'm ok with that.

I've learned my lesson with the extended warranties. I bought one for my wife's Expedition we bought lightly used (and it was a third party warranty to boot). That was a big mess up. We used it a few times but we didn't get our money's worth out of it. I didn't buy one for my car and that nearly started a fight with the F&I manager at the dealership I bought it from and nearly walked from the whole deal over it.

I'm a slow learner sometimes but I've learned my lessons over warranties and buying cars new. I want a beater truck I can drive on occasion as needed. Something I can tinker with and not be too worried about screwing up would be good.
    You can do or learn anything you push yourself to. Most of the work on rigs is not as complicated as one might think if you can see how it’s put together.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Oh, here is a good one from a few years back. Go to dealership for recall work, and they try to scare me into $1,000 worth of unasked for, unnecessary and utterly overpriced nonsense!

QsmSFqI.jpg

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    You can do or learn anything you push yourself to. Most of the work on rigs is not as complicated as one might think if you can see how it’s put together.

And I know that's true because I've done that many times both personally and professionally. It's still a hangup I have with cars. Having a vehicle I'm not afraid to foul up will be a big help.

tinplas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2017
    San Antonio
    I bought a 2012 Dodge Durango new. 2500 for an unlimited mileage warranty. I pay 100 deductible anytime it needs repairs. Pretty sure I've at least broken even. Don't plan on selling it anytime soon. If I blow a motor or transmission, it's 100 bucks.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    First off, my credit is rough. Had some fraud/ stoled ID issues etc. Fixing it but that takes time.

Bought my truck used and getting the extended warranty dropped the interest rate significantly. Payment only went up $20 a month.

Only time I ever bought an extended warranty but considering a replacement engine is close to $20k it was an easy decision given the cost and the truck having almost 100k on the clock.

Warranty is from Ford too, not a third party.

Top Bottom