• ...and so much more!
  • Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    After getting settled in Bedford, I’m finding it a real adjustment from the smaller town lifestyle I’m used to. The upselling and lack of honesty is strong in the metroplex.

Took my truck for an inspection so I can do my registration. I get a call thinking my trucks done. Nope. Upselling me on a new battery. The employee on the phone tells me my battery is getting weak. I ask if they actually put a meter on it. Employee says yes. I then ask if they put rpm on the engine and witnessed the battery not reach normal voltage as my concern is to verify alternator function. Employee says no they didn’t do that. I politely say thank you for the customer service but I would prefer to examine my voltage at home. “But sir, you need a new battery. I can take another 15 bucks off with your core” no thank you. “We will call you when your inspection is done” wait...wait...you called to sell me on something before you finished your work on my truck?

Reminds me of a Nissan dealership that tried to pull a fast one on me. Now I do most of the work myself. If I take it in, I’m not tooled up to do the job. So I’m waiting for axle work to be done. I get a call saying they think I need new plugs. Oh wow (I always say oh wow pretending like I know nothing lol) oh wow, that’s funny, it wasn’t more than 15 thousand miles ago I changed my plugs with oem ones I got from you guys and used your torque specs I called and got directly from your shop, I say. “Oh uh uhhh uh it’s probably not needed”.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Dont take your car to a lube center for inspection or anything for that matter.
    They are trained to sell you everything

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Lube center is just fine. In and out in 15 minutes, and decline all extra work not needed. No need to drop it off and wait for phone calls.

Kwik Kar is fine. Mobil 1 and 5 Minute Oil Change places are fine. Pep Boys, no way, don't even think about it.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Dont take your car to a lube center for inspection or anything for that matter.
    They are trained to sell you everything
    No kidding. I never went to a lube center in my life. Always did my own oil. Probably ocd and unwarranted but I never trusted any of them to even do simple things.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    The one time I had an oil/lube place do my oil, when I got home, I discovered my filter hadn't been changed out. Plus, I was supposed to have Mobil 1, but I thought if they cheated my on the oil filter how do I know they didn't put crap oil in my crankcase. I didn't watch when it was done.

I negotiated they change out the oil (again) while I witnessed it, Mobile 1 out of cans, not some big bulk dispenser, plus of course a new filter. The guy dong the oil and filter was the same guy acted like he wasn't chagrined when caught and having to make it right, but he was. I went to his boss to complain and he was agreeable about my witnessing the ah, ahem, correction.

Of course, I learned my lesson.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    And don't EVER let them pull on your wiper blades--they'll tear them and then tell you that you need new ones. When I got into the Mobil 1 place for my oil change, I tell them what I want and what I don't. "Change the oil, top off the washer fluid, leave the air filter and cabin filter alone. Oh, and my wipers are just fine, thank you very much."

Last edited:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    And don't EVER let them pull on your wiper blades--they'll tear them and them tell you that you need new ones. When I got into the Mobil 1 place for my oil change, I tell them what I want and what I don't. "Change the oil, top off the washer fluid, leave the air filter and cabin filter alone. Oh, and my wipers are just fine, thank you very much."

No. I make sure I've got it topped off before I go, LOL. I don't want plain water in my squirters, or whatever they have that amounts to pretty much the same thing.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    The one time I had an oil/lube place do my oil, when I got home, I discovered my filter hadn't been changed out. Plus, I was supposed to have Mobil 1, but I thought if they cheated my on the oil filter how do I know they didn't put crap oil in my crankcase. I didn't watch when it was done.
    Yikes.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    No. I make sure I've got it topped off before I go, LOL. I don't want plain water in my squirters, or whatever they have that amounts to pretty much the same thing.
    It doesn't get as cold here in Houston as it does in the Metroplex, so we rarely ever have to worry about the washer fluid freezing up. I'm just fine with whatever washer fluid they use.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Guess I am spoiled by my small town service center.

No upselling but they will recommend something they see might need attention. They don't cheat you and use whatever products you want.

Cheaper than anybody else and the owner is usually running around the shop doing something.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom