Upstanding citizen sent to prison and has child taken away for possession of guns

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazedJava

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2013
    DFW
    I'm not much for conspiracy, but I have long suspected that one reason penalties for various gun legislations were so ridiculously high (Child molestation is apparently less henious in New York than having a magazine that holds more than 7 rounds) is so they could make felons of anybody whenever they wanted, thus barring gun owners from continuing to own guns.

I routinely have to travel to Blue/Democrat/Liberal areas, and while I enjoy the local flavor I also know I have no intention of ever living in those places. I enjoy the food and the local beers and then happily come home to Texas.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Houston, Texas
    I feel so bad for him as a father, You can take a man guns, but not his child. Pray for this man, and let this pass. I hope all works out well. On another note, Its terrible that the ones who should be standing up for citizens as well as protecting them, is our greatest demise. I am so blessed to be a native Texan.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I met this man a few weeks ago. It's actually, technically, a worse miscarriage of justice than the article makes clear, now centering on the fact that he was also moving ammunition. NJ law makes an exception to the law against possessing firearms if you're moving house. However, he was still, technically, guilty of possessing ammunition which is NOT covered by any exception to the law. The legislators seem to have accidentally left out that exception in the law so, apparently, to be strictly legal in NJ, when you change residences you must leave all your ammunition behind in your prior residence because there's no carve-out in the law to allow you to move it. (If I've gotten the details wrong, I hope Sean will chime in with corrections. He was at the same event.)

Like I say, I met him briefly and the pain is still in his eyes.

More impactful, I heard him speak. He still can't tell his story without choking up. You can't help but feel deep emotion for him that is soon replaced by rage at the system that chewed him up and spit him out.

If you ever get a chance to hear him, go. If you can spare a few bucks for his fundraiser at Help me publish my book, take my case to the Supreme Court, and get my son back. | Indiegogo , do it.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I met this man a few weeks ago. It's actually, technically, a worse miscarriage of justice than the article makes clear, now centering on the fact that he was also moving ammunition. NJ law makes an exception to the law against possessing firearms if you're moving house. However, he was still, technically, guilty of possessing ammunition which is NOT covered by any exception to the law. The legislators seem to have accidentally left out that exception in the law so, apparently, to be strictly legal in NJ, when you change residences you must leave all your ammunition behind in your prior residence because there's no carve-out in the law to allow you to move it. (If I've gotten the details wrong, I hope Sean will chime in with corrections. He was at the same event.)

Like I say, I met him briefly and the pain is still in his eyes.

More impactful, I heard him speak. He still can't tell his story without choking up. You can't help but feel deep emotion for him that is soon replaced by rage at the system that chewed him up and spit him out.

If you ever get a chance to hear him, go. If you can spare a few bucks for his fundraiser at Help me publish my book, take my case to the Supreme Court, and get my son back. | Indiegogo , do it.

So Ben, are you saying that the presence of the ammunition is what made it able for the judge to disregard the moving exemption?

Also, New Jersey child welfare services are brutal and seemingly operate almost independently from any judicial review. On the surface it seems like they are reasonable, but once your children are taken away for any reason, it is hard to get them back without a lot of money for a lawyer.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    It depends on what ammo type it was (seriously). I was born there (blame my parents). Possessing any HP (read hollow point) ammunition is a FELONY in New Jersey. EVEN LEOs are included. Cousin still lives here and is a cop on the border town in New York and if he makes a wrong turn and enters NJ, he is committing a felony and can and will be prosecuted. You guys have no idea how good you have it. God bless Texas.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    It depends on what ammo type it was (seriously). I was born there (blame my parents). Possessing any HP (read hollow point) ammunition is a FELONY in New Jersey. EVEN LEOs are included. Cousin still lives here and is a cop on the border town in New York and if he makes a wrong turn and enters NJ, he is committing a felony and can and will be prosecuted. You guys have no idea how good you have it. God bless Texas.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

It use to be illegal but that was changed a few years ago..
    New Jersey State Police - Transportation and Use of Hollow Point Ammunition by Sportsmen

However I will say there are many stipulations that a LEO could arrest someone on. And I'm guessing perhaps since Mr. Aiken wasn't on his way to a range or hunting, they got him on that.

I lived there too and there isn't a day that don't go by since moving to Texas that I don't thank God I am where I am.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Upstanding citizen sent to prison and has child taken away for possession of ...

I'm reminded of those here that say felons should not have guns.

If this guy can be a felon then anyone can.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I am. I just haven't been caught.
    Now if they'd move that school campus 1000' from the highway, why, i'd be legal.
    When I'm on my way to the range with a truck full of guns, I usually go through at least 3 school zones. Two of them are completely unavoidable. I chuckle every time at how bad it would be if I got pulled over. At least around here, I think that the officer would be understanding of my situation and send me on my way. Makes me glad I don't live in NJ!

Top Bottom