• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    My uncle was driving his 98' f-150 and is having all kinds of electrical problems. While driving all the gauges went dead, windows quit, a/c quit, radio quit, lights quit, abs light is on, check engine light is on, but the truck is still driving. The truck has a cracked gas tank neck for a long time now. Has 240k miles on it. Im thinking its a big electrical problem.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Start with the basics! The alternator charges the battery and provides current for everything electrical on the truck. A bad alternator will usually result in a dead battery and immobilized truck, but sometimes will cause hell with electrical systems if the rectifier is bad and throws too much AC voltage into the system. If it was bad enough to kill systems that are low on electronics, the truck wouldn't run.

The basics? Check fuses! If they're good, you'll have to check the grounds for at least a couple of those systems.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I'm 100% sure it's the alternator... I got the same exact problem before on my Nissan and it was the alternator. Brake Light + Check Engine Light = Alternator in most cars out there.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Fuses are fine. The truck will not crank now. Its at the ford dealer in Georgetown. What would it cost to get the gas tank fixed?

It's probably the tube running from the filler to the tank, they break all the time on Fords. They're not cheap...

Does the starter crank the engine over?

I'm 100% sure it's the alternator... I got the same exact problem before on my Nissan and it was the alternator. Brake Light + Check Engine Light = Alternator in most cars out there.

You forgot the windows, AC and radio, though.

Japanese cars and trucks are a bit different. Most American cars won't trip a check engine light or brake light because of an alternator. Some Japanese cars apparently stay in bulb-check mode below a certain voltage.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Nothing happens when the key is turned. Also, failed to mention that the truck started to miss a lot for a mile then just died. Also, the abs light tripped.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Go to the nearest parts store and get a little manual for that model, will help your troubleshooting 100% . I am not conversant with Fords any more but many vehicles have a fused link in the wiring that can open, burn into that is causing a loss of electric power to nearly everything, manuals will show where in the wire bundles they are located. I had to repair a couple in my son's Vette several years ago.

It isn't proper to replace a burned fuse link with a plain piece of proper sized wire but
    where we were and the availablity was the cause of my quicky fix, no further problems but the circuits were no longer protected. Good luck...

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    5'll git ya 10 that it's either the alternator or battery - or both. A shorting cell will "suck" all the alternator power, an' progressively pull things down until it shuts down. It'll also keep the engine from turning over - and if there's a short, it will NOT "jump" with cables.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    thx for the help but, this is my familes companies truck. Im not allowed to work any of our companies vehicles. Its at the dealer getting troubleshooted.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    You have a power distribution problem if power features(windows,etc.) are inoperative but fuses are good. An alternator problem would only effect a running engine(unless the battery has been run completely down). Maybe it's a bad ignition switch - be sure and tell us what fixes it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    You have a power distribution problem if power features(windows,etc.) are inoperative but fuses are good. An alternator problem would only effect a running engine(unless the battery has been run completely down). Maybe it's a bad ignition switch - be sure and tell us what fixes it.

I've had an F150 with a bad fuse box do something similar to me. Apparently I'm not the only one, but it's not a really common failure.

Top Bottom