• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    ...not sure what you mean "underfill" but out of curiosity I did a search for same "D" style buttstock and noticed the same thing in the center of that buttstock tab also.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Ahh, OK that makes sense - can't understand what purpose that "straw" or whatever was meant for. It obviously must have been needed though somehow.
    The straw is used to get the foam farther towards the butt stock. It starts expanding as soon as it is no longer restricted by the nozzle or the straw. My guess is they ran out of the can and thought they hand another, by tha time the straw was set in the foam.

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    I had to bite the bullet and bought some green aerosol paint for the stock and handguards. After research it came down to ANA 611 "Interior Green" FSN 34151. It should be correct. The paint was about $12, but the shipping is almost $30.

Meanwhile the buttstock and handguards are being prepped with red filler primer and lightly sanded to simulate the original reddish 601 Fiberite material underneath the green finish paint.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Thanks bud...curious how you understand how they did that?
    I remember hating the early AR-15’s for the sound of the buffer spring in the receiver extension inside the hollow stock.

Then again I had a H&K 91. The only thing back then that I liked about the AR-15 over my 91 was the cheaper ammo cost and the lighter weight.

I’m talking late 70’s when cheap ammunition was incredibly cheap by today’s standards. My friends with Ar’s where hitting targets were I was tearing shit up.

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    Ref: Post #9
    An aerosol can of "ANA611 Interior Green "arrived today and is not the example shown online at all. It's more like the Brownells 601 Lime Green they used on their first production 601's... $40.72 a can sucks out loud.

Not such a good day for this 601 build. USPS Tracking indicated delivery today from Brownells for a retro 601 front pivot pin. It arrived at the local Post Office OK just like it was supposed to, but someone decided that made too much sense. So..... they sent it to Rockdale.

Pressing onward
    :popcorn:

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    I had an old can of "Testors 1265 Olive Drab Flat Spray Enamel" I've had several years. After a few minutes of shaking, it sprayed well enough for a few light coats, and it looks like a perfect match. Another can is on order and that should finish it up.

...and the front pivot pin is supposed to be "out for delivery" (again) this morning.

Madcap

De Opresso Liber
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Texas Hill Country
    Photos of initial the first light coats OD Flat that I think should work. The first can is getting low and I don't want it to spit so I have another small can of the same stuff on order.
    The independent square paint swatch is the ANA 611 for comparison that was ordered that isn't very accurate compared to it's online example.

The first coats of the Testors OD will be lightly sanded and given one or two finish coats, and cured. Then the receivers can be assembled, after I find a Colt full-length buffer tube and spring.

The last couple photos are a handguard and stock of an original USAF 601 a friend took for me. I t appears the Testors OD enamel model paint a perfect match.

The Brownells 601/602 dimpled front pin came it the mail and fits perfectly. That only leaves a safe/selector switch to be drilled and fitted to add the correct period detail hardware.

Attachments

• furn.OD.jpg
      furn.OD.jpg
      79.8 KB · Views: 3
    • testors.OD.jpg
      testors.OD.jpg
      64.3 KB · Views: 3
    • thumbnail_IMG_0178.jpg
      thumbnail_IMG_0178.jpg
      79 KB · Views: 1
    • thumbnail_IMG_0182.jpg
      thumbnail_IMG_0182.jpg