• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    We are replacing our carpet in our home soon and I am planning on using the old contractor carpet for multiple things. One place that I have read/seen used is in the attic for sound deadening. Laying it down on the areas that I shot planking is easy. The other areas that I have seen was where a couple AVS guys had shot the old carpet to the side walls and rafters.

Anyone else used old carpet this way to deaden sound?
    Venture Surplus ad

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Way back in the day (many moons ago) in high school I was in a metal band. We practiced at one of the members house and his father had used carpet as a sound dampener on the walls and ceiling. We thought it was cool as it sounded better in our "jam room", guess it probably helped the old man somewhat keep his sanity and the neighbors a little more appreciative. It made a difference, but I wouldn't call it a mirical cure all. I would think putting it in your attic would add somewhat of an insulation benefit as well.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Unless you're trying to keep sound from coming into the house through the attic, probably won't help as much. Putting it inside the room you're trying to "soundproof" is usually the way it's done.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Unless you're trying to keep sound from coming into the house through the attic, probably won't help as much. Putting it inside the room you're trying to "soundproof" is usually the way it's done.

What I am attempting to do is too quiet the noise from the neighbors and overhead air traffic.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    IMO, you're going to get more noise through your windows than anywhere else. Look at where the insulation is thinnest, that's where your noise will come in.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    IMO, you're going to get more noise through your windows than anywhere else. Look at where the insulation is thinnest, that's where your noise will come in.

We have installed heavy curtains at the front of the house with success but used lighter materials in the other rooms. Just cannot bring myself to blocking out the beautiful Texas sunshine I love so much. I guess we will just pitch the old carpet.

Top Bottom