• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    They are already tacti-black, see post 10.

If the project makes it to cosmetics, I'm thinking of covering the seat and racks in tan.
    Target Sports

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Started working on the Kaw tonight.

1. descent wash job (dirt? grinding sound from wheels/brakes/shafts/?? when pushing to move)

2. see if engine turns over
    a) yes w/elec but it's weak; similar clicking sound to auto when not enough power; added H2O and charging battery, don't expect much :(
    b) manual pull starter did not engage initially. Housing holding H2O, dirt, rust. Removed, freed up dog-ears, pulled cord, engine turned over but then starter didn't disengage. More work on that tomorrow.
    c) manually turnover engine. I'm such a he-man :laughing:
    I can hear compression being made but have not gauged it yet.

Bottom line, nothing GREAT so far (not surprisingly) but still, positives in each step.
    Should have this dawg running @ 132mph by tomorrow. :green:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Not sure if you can do this on yours, but I welded a frame to put in a lawn tractor battery. The bigger battery makes it start easier, and it runs the big lights I mounted on it.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    WTF! Called a shop 30mi away for carb kit, they have it and are open til 5p. I was there at 430 and it's all locked up :mad:

Did the best I could to turn the engine over for compression test, 90psi.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Not much progress today, doing other things.

Filled engine with 2 - $2/qts, wrong grade oil but WTH, wrong is better than none. It will be flushed later if the engine comes to life. Still not enough to reach *low* oil level so added enough Marvel Mystery (MM) to reach that.

Dropped some MM down the spark plug hole repeatedly while turning engine over both manually and with aid of a drill. Engine is spinning freely now and with oil filler plug removed, I can see oil is circulating. Odd to me but I got 90psi compression before adding oil and 60psi afterwards.

The stumper is yesterday while trying to jump start it, an @ 7" long jumper wire in the battery/starter solenoid/black box? compartment came loose at both ends, no idea what it's for and I suck at most things electrical.

Funny thing is I bought the ATV from an electrician so he could likely help there :eek:.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Filled engine with 2 - $2/qts, wrong grade oil but WTH, wrong is better than none. It will be flushed later if the engine comes to life. Still not enough to reach *low* oil level so added enough Marvel Mystery (MM) to reach that.

Its ok, you will have to drain it before you bring it to Hicksville anyway.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Not much progress today, doing other things.

Dropped some MM down the spark plug hole repeatedly while turning engine over both manually and with aid of a drill. Engine is spinning freely now and with oil filler plug removed, I can see oil is circulating. Odd to me but I got 90psi compression before adding oil and 60psi afterwards.

The stumper is yesterday while trying to jump start it, an @ 7" long jumper wire in the battery/starter solenoid/black box? compartment came loose at both ends, no idea what it's for and I suck at most things electrical.

Funny thing is I bought the ATV from an electrician so he could likely help there :eek:.

I kept having electrical problems, so one day last fall I required several key wires, now they fire right up. I didn't know crap about it either. But there ain't that many on those things. I used heat shrink connectors to keep water out.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    FIRE IN THE HOLE ..... WOOT!

7" jumper wire is to lights so not an operational issue.

Took the starter solenoid to O'reilly in hopes they could just test it. Nope, buy the meter. Just so happened a co-worker from a different bldg. was there. He's an HVAC tech, had an Ohm meter and things checked out. Re-installed solenoid, hooked up jumper cables, low and behold, it turned over. Installed compression gauge and was getting 120-150psi.

I have not done a thing to the air/fuel system except add a pint of gas to a varnish smelling tank, then I tried to start it. Sure enough, after @ 30min it fired. Smokey as hell cuz of the MM down the plug hole but that let off some as it ran. Seemed to be a small knock in the engine but remember, it hasn't ran in years so hoping that lessens or even disappears as things free up.

$100 initial + @ $125 in misc. plugs, filters, lubes, carb kit and INCLUDING $50 compression gauge = $225 running ATV :green:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    FIRE IN THE HOLE ..... WOOT!

7" jumper wire is to lights so not an operational issue.

Took the starter solenoid to O'reilly in hopes they could just test it. Nope, buy the meter. Just so happened a co-worker from a different bldg. was there. He's an HVAC tech, had an Ohm meter and things checked out. Re-installed solenoid, hooked up jumper cables, low and behold, it turned over. Installed compression gauge and was getting 120-150psi.

I have not done a thing to the air/fuel system except add a pint of gas to a varnish smelling tank, then I tried to start it. Sure enough, after @ 30min it fired. Smokey as hell cuz of the MM down the plug hole but that let off some as it ran. Seemed to be a small knock in the engine but remember, it hasn't ran in years so hoping that lessens or even disappears as things free up.

$100 initial + @ $125 in misc. plugs, filters, lubes, carb kit and INCLUDING $50 compression gauge = $225 running ATV :green:

Good job! I love that feeling. At $225, if it runs for two years you more than got your $ worth.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks! Yeah, it's pretty satisfying but there is a fair amount of dumb luck mixed in which I'll gladly take.

Still some tinkering to do before it can be considered a success but at least things are moving in the right direction. And with that, back to work I go. ;)

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Found the right camo seat cover

$(KGrHqR,!lQFGh+jEln)BRv4udKkFw~~60_12.jpg

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Jeez I swear this kid (at the time) just ran it until everything was so clogged with dirt the engine couldn't breath and walked away. The air filter was so dirty what was washed out covers the bottom of a bucket completely. Even the gas cap vent tube was completely blocked.

I didn't do anything really special, just a lot of cleaning. Disassembled the carb and blasted it with cleaner but did not rebuild it. Cleaned the gas tank, air and battery box and installed a new battery.

It started out looking like a mosquito fogger for about 15 minutes, I mean REALLY thick smoke, but it has diminished to almost no smoke out of the pipe. I'll burn a tank or 2 before I consider it successful and do any cosmetic fixes but so far a damn good 100 bucks.

1 minute video cuz it didn't happen if they ain't no pics ....

1strideonKaw20131117_184702_zps3b3414bb.mp4 Video by glockster69 | Photobucket

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Watched the video ... kept expecting to see a 1/2 naked college aged chick being chased by a dude in a hockey mask.

Congrats on the progress.

Last edited:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    How 'bout Marvel Mystery, will that have the same effect? I've already used 1 bottle through the top end, a small amount added to the crank to top it off, and just put the last couple Oz in the fuel tank. But I've got another unopened bottle. ;)

Forgot to mention, all lights are working fine. The brakes, not so much .... that's the next big item.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    seafoam will clean out the fuel system. I use it on my bike

Brakes are for wimps.
    Hahahaa! I rode it @ 1/2 an hour so far. Front brakes barely keep it from moving when in gear and rear brakes are worthless.

Thanks to the past 2 years of drought and trees falling on the barbed wire fence, only the bottom 2 strands separate me from miles of woods. Tomorrow ...... I ride :p

Top Bottom