• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I've had boats, dirt bikes, street bikes, and raced dirt gokarts for a while but I've never owned a 4-wheeler. I'm no mechanic / tuner but I'm certainly not afraid to turn a wrench to get something running so I'm asking for your help appraising / valuing a 4-wheeler. I have not yet seen the subject ATV and, it has sat idle for years, I believe he said 6.

Model:
    2004 Kawasaki Prairie 400
    Full time 4x4
    Owner (co-worker) is asking $500

Here are the issues he said need attention, in his words:
    needs new carburetor
    needs battery
    needs seat (cover torn)
    brakes have seized

Also, he specifically mentioned floating it through water. I asked if it had a snorkel on it and he replied he removed it. Other than a good tire kicking session and based on the previous information, here are the couple questions I have for him:

Is/has the motor ever been seized?
    Is/has there ever been water in the transmission/transfer case?

I just learned he wants to sell this afternoon and haven't done any research yet. I need a little help so:
    Is this model known to have any major failures?
    What other questions would you ask?
    What should I be wary of?

Thanks
    Lynx Defense

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    With him floating it id be wary that he didnt have it sealed/vented/snorkeled and thats why its been sitting. Im not familiar with that model and im sure youve googled already.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    After sitting for 6 years I bet it needs much more than just those items.

Yeah sounds like something happened to it. If its sat for 6 then It was only 3 years old when It was parked. We have a few 4 wheelers at our ranch that are older and are still running strong with very little maintenance. That said if that is all it needs then it would be a good deal if you can get all your parts for under $500. If you do the labor and fixed it up I have seen Similar years models as describe go for well over 2k.

Sounds like a gamble and how much you are willing to put into it. See if you can haul it over to a shop and have it checked out before you buy. At least bring a battery and hook it up to see if it will turn over. Then you know it's not locked up.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Water entering the engine, etc. should be your main concern. Small engine carbs are generally CV type and easily serviceable. It may need a float, jets ,etc, but replacement would be unusual for a carb that is under 10 years old. The best way to determine the extent of water damage would be to inspect fluids and remove the spark plug. There should be no rust or fluids on the plug itself and when water mixes with engine or gear oil, it becomes frothy and looks like chocolate milk.

If the gearbox or engine have sat with water in them, you are buying a boat anchor. Kawasaki parts are pretty high end and there will be no cheap solution for fixing rusted/corroded bearings in the engine or gearbox or diff. The frozen brakes are also not gonna be a cheap fix. I doubt they sell caliper rebuild kits. Rotors, pads and calipers for that thing probably approach $300-400.

The powersports market has struggled for years now, so I bet you could find a good deal on a running machine if you are patient.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I have champagne taste and .... stale beer budget :(

I understand (and appreciate) everything y'all have said. There may well be more problems than he mentioned and that could be because he hasn't used it.

He strikes me as a descent, honest guy however, I could be wrong. More replies would be great.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I think he said it was parked when the babies started coming. ;)

I have not found a 2004 Prairie 400, only a 360 which causes question of any parts searching I do. What gives?

According to his email, motor was never seized and no water in the tranny.

Is that a 6 or 12V electrical system? Can I jump start it from the truck?

Judging by the last picture, it looks like it may have been somewhat protected from the elements. No telling if he had a tarp over it too.

photo2_zps6c82869d.jpg

photo1_zpsbc527ce0.jpg

photo3_zps641546ab.jpg

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I had a couple years ago and I believe they were 6v systems. I jumped them from my truck. I think as long as it is a quick jump you are ok.

I would offer to take it on loan so you can price out parts (may need VIN) and see what it all needs. If it is cost effective then pay him the $500 (or however little he will take). If not then bring it back and walk away.

Honestly, I am a tinkerer so I would tackle it but not for $500. I think it is a losing proposition just by looking at it for that money.

robertc1216

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Cypress
    Based on those pictures I would leave it there for 500. That seat has seen day light everyday. I have a 96 blaster that still has the original seat and there are no tears.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Not just the seat. Look how faded the plastics are and everything else. Its never been stored properly. Save up another $500 and get one that runs.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Keep in mind, if that motor hasn't turned in 6 years it's almost guaranteed there will be rust on the cylinder walls. It's probably not gonna start turning easily and a good chance it will burn a little oil.

If it has been in the water all the beating are probably gonna need to be replaced also.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Agreed ... walk away. That will turn out to be a money pit.

If it needs a carb, then it'll need fuel delivery work most likely.
    Those parts add up fast ...

I bought an XR100 pit bike that "just needed a carb rebuild" ...
    The factory kit was unobtainable and the knock-offs just didn't work.
    And a new carb was $200.

Even as a gimme, you will sink more into it than its worth.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I have champagne taste and .... stale beer budget :(
    Y'all may well be right but I would hate it if I walked away from a diamond in the rough. If I came upon this deal with from a complete stranger, I would not have even slowed down to look.

I'm liking your loaner idea Dawico, may give it a whirl if I go see the thing but frankly, if I was the seller I wouldn't bite.

A new seat is < $50 but that's actually the least of my concerns. Brake components are pricey as TexMex said.

IDK, we shall see .... but I appreciate all the comments.

Top Bottom