• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vortaku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2017
    Irving
    Any advice on what to check for on a used bike? I have inquired about one being sold at under blue book. Guy says its a perfect bike and he is only selling because he got laid off. It is a cruiser if that matters. Any advice would be appreciated.
    Lynx Defense

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Best advice is to take along a friend (especially one who is mechanically minded) to check over the bike. If you are really interested in it, you may be blind to problems an objective person would spot.

That said, it's not abnormal for people to sell bikes below KBB value; especially under dire circumstances. I wouldn't necessarily consider it a red flag.

Otherwise, do your homework on what similar bikes are going for in the area. KBB values are nationwide, and don't necessarily reflect what you would pay in Texas.

vortaku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2017
    Irving
    Best advice is to take along a friend (especially one who is mechanically minded) to check over the bike. If you are really interested in it, you may be blind to problems an objective person would spot.

That said, it's not abnormal for people to sell bikes below KBB value; especially under dire circumstances. I wouldn't necessarily consider it a red flag.

Otherwise, do your homework on what similar bikes are going for in the area. KBB values are nationwide, and don't necessarily reflect what you would pay in Texas.
    It is under the price of what similar bikes are listed for on craigslist atleast. I will try and talk to a buddy or two to have them go with me to check the bike out.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Check out the transmission and clutch. Look for heavy oil leaks. Check the rear sprocket and chain for excessive wear. Look for bent and dented items. Then if it rides/drives good and doesn't show blue smoke out the exhaust, that's about all you can do.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    That does seem low. Check it out, and if there aren't any obvious issues with it when you look it over and/or ride it, then snag it! At that price, it may just been a lucky deal!

vortaku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2017
    Irving
    That does seem low. Check it out, and if there aren't any obvious issues with it when you look it over and/or ride it, then snag it! At that price, it may just been a lucky deal!
    I am hoping, could use some good luck. Nothing but bad lately.
    He says he is between jobs and has to pay off his harley, and thats what he owes. So he is firm on price

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I am hoping, could use some good luck. Nothing but bad lately.
    He says he is between jobs and has to pay off his harley, and thats what he owes. So he is firm on price
    You might be just lucky.
    He probably doesn't want his Harley repossessed.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I've owned a few Shadow 1100's. Always the twin cam motors. (The harley idea of vibrating your teeth out is not for me) it should idle easy and slow. No stutter when twisting the throttle. I think by 07' they were all fuel injected. If your bike is not walk away. Today's gas will foul the jets in a carb in a week or 2 of the bike sitting. The drive shaft should be smooth and react fast. its a rubber connection between shaft and wheel. It can wear out. Other than that it should ride nice not have a death wobble at slow speeds hands off and make you smile. Remember, everything is repairable and Shadows were always known for being near bulletproof.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've owned a few Shadow 1100's. Always the twin cam motors. (The harley idea of vibrating your teeth out is not for me) it should idle easy and slow. No stutter when twisting the throttle. I think by 07' they were all fuel injected. If your bike is not walk away. Today's gas will foul the jets in a carb in a week or 2 of the bike sitting. The drive shaft should be smooth and react fast. its a rubber connection between shaft and wheel. It can wear out. Other than that it should ride nice not have a death wobble at slow speeds hands off and make you smile. Remember, everything is repairable and Shadows were always known for being near bulletproof.

I looked it up. It's supposed to be fuel injection. If it is, it's a hell of lot better then the earlier carb models. I wouldn't buy a bike that wasn't fuel injected.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    And a heads up. If it needs tires. It's $50 a rim to have them mounted and balanced. If it does need tires you're looking at about $350 bucks. The seller needs to knock the price down or put tires on it. Any sidewall cracking and the tires are trash.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    trying to watch, but budget is pretty low for what people seem to be posting for

For what you want. A decent bike with mileage below 10,000. Expect $2500 to $3500. The Suzuki boulevard I have had about 3000 miles on it. Needed tires and the fork seal. The two previous owners were female. It's was a starter bike. I paid $2500.

The thing with mileage. Most bikes can take 40k to 75k before the engine needs a timing chain. At around 7500 it'll need the valves adjusted. Oil changes run $9 a quart for motorcycle oil. If you get something in the 10k range. Look up the model and see what maintenance is required and ask the seller if it was done. Ask to see paperwork if it was done. If the seller says he did it himself. Look for wrench marks on the bolts that needed to be removed to do it.

vortaku

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2017
    Irving
    For what you want. A decent bike with mileage below 10,000. Expect $2500 to $3500. The Suzuki boulevard I have had about 3000 miles on it. Needed tires and the fork seal. The two previous owners were female. It's was a starter bike. I paid $2500.

The thing with mileage. Most bikes can take 40k to 75k before the engine needs a timing chain. At around 7500 it'll need the valves adjusted. Oil changes run $9 a quart for motorcycle oil. If you get something in the 10k range. Look up the model and see what maintenance is required and ask the seller if it was done. Ask to see paperwork if it was done. If the seller says he did it himself. Look for wrench marks on the bolts that needed to be removed to do it.
    Not too worried about it being under 10k, at this point I really just want to get back on 2 wheels. Don't mind doing work myself. In fact I would love it. This was just a perfect buy if I could have snagged it.

Top Bottom