• ...and so much more!
  • TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Every time I get an order in from Larue it comes with at least one 7 oz plastic bottle of their Dillo Dust dry rub. It got to the point where I was getting a lot more in than I could ever use so I started giving it away to my family and friends and when I started running out of people to give it to (read worthy of such an honor) I decided to see what all else it was good for.

Here is a short list of what I've found so far. Please feel free to add you own suggestion but please keep it Larue Dillo Dust specific. We all have cabinets full of spices and ideas for them so let's try to keep this thread clean, as best we can here on TGT.

1.) This stuff is awesome on popcorn! Use it instead of salt next time and it won't be long before it's what you crave when you think of popcorn.

2.) Grilled veggie skewers - load skewers like normal, sprinkle generously with Dillo Dust right before placing on grill. Dillo Dust contains a good amount of sugar which when grilled caramelizes to the veggies leaving a very nice sweet/salty/spicy crust that will quickly turn your grilled veggies into ribbon winners.

3.) Dillo Dust is awesome on baked potatoes. I use nothing but butter and Dillo Dust on mine and they are awesome to the last bite. It is exceptionally good on baked sweet potatoes.

4.) Sweet, Salty, Spicy veggie/chip dip - mix Dillo Dust with sour cream (no measurement here, just use as much as you like for your taste) and refrigerate overnight. When ready to serve, remove from refrigerator, stir and serve.

I'll add more as I remember what all I've done with it.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I would like to get on the "friends and family" list for free Dillo Dust please.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Care to share the ingredients ?

5y4ezeve.jpg

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Time to revive this thread. I have a lot of rubs. But Dillo Dust is one of my favorites. They always throw in a bottle when I purchase a mount. But you can only buy so many mounts. I read it may be Lowrys Seasoning Salt with sugar added. I'm not sure it is since Lowry shows spices as one of their ingredients. Did a little research and found this recipe as a replacement. Anyone got a recipe for it?

2T sugar +1 t

3t salt
    1 1/2t sweet paprika
    1 1/2t smoked paprika
    2t chili powder
    1/4t celery seed
    1/2t cumin seed
    1/2t garlic powder

CZPistol

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2015
    123 Easy St.
    I read it may be Lowrys Seasoning Salt with sugar added. I'm not sure it is since Lowry shows spices as one of their ingredients.

I had read the same thing. After experimenting with Lawry's and sugar, I determined without a doubt that Dillo Dust is not Lawry's plus sugar.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Their marketing guy or at least whoever came up with naming it Dillo Dust would probably change the name if he knew more about armadillos.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I got a bottle of Dillo Dust when I ordered some Lancer mags from LaRue. Been sitting in my cabinet for over a year now. Thanks for the suggested uses. I was planning on using it as a brisket rub but haven't got around to it.

Top Bottom