• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I've been wanting to get out to see the Lexington again just haven't done it and I live about 10 minutes away, haven't been since I was little and I'm interested to see how much more appreciation I'll have after having been in the Marine Corps which included a couple months on ship with the Navy. As far as things to do there can be quite a bit just depends on what you're interested in, I much prefer the smaller towns right outside of Corpus and am quite fond of Rockport.

Oh, and you should visit our brother TXDARKHORSE361 (Daryl) in Sinton.

For the record I am now living in Portland and working in Rockport, don't get out to the Sinton area as much as I used to and have stepped away from helping out at the bar except on occasion (that was the plan all along) though my wife bar tends there from time to time. If any TGT member was planning on heading out there hit me up and of course I'd meet you there but if you just showed up I probably wouldn't be there.
    Venture Surplus ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Go see her(the ship) soon.
    I first went about 25 years ago. Awesome!
    Lots of areas open to public. I climbed down to the prop shaft where she was hit. The "patch" was applied from the exterior.
    Jagged metal was still exposed inside.

Last trip was like 8 years ago. Big change in accessible areas.
    Only handicapped access is pretty much the hangar.
    To see her, you gotta climb.

txbikerman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    Go see her(the ship) soon.
    I first went about 25 years ago. Awesome!
    Lots of areas open to public. I climbed down to the prop shaft where she was hit. The "patch" was applied from the exterior.
    Jagged metal was still exposed inside.

Last trip was like 8 years ago. Big change in accessible areas.
    Only handicapped access is pretty much the hangar.
    To see her, you gotta climb.
    i havent see her , i need to make the trip.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    Forgot to mention that I worked on the ship with my best friend for about 6 months when I was 16 or 17.
    It was a lot of fun, and we got to sneak around to places closed to the public.

Robstown has the best Mexican Bakery I've had in a long time.
    That whole whataburger deal was just stupid, whataburger wanted to dump more money into their corporate headquarters. (At the time an area desperate for refurbishment) but it involved closing a street that was really useless. Almost no traffic. And the city told em to pound sand. So whatabirger took their toys and left. Recently they closed that same street for a new tenant.
    It really reflects on daum democrats if you ask me.That and San Antonio is a much more centralized location to run a company.
    Corpus is for the beaten path. You don't just pass through corpus you have to really wanna go there (one of the reason why I like it) but it makes doing business here difficult.

It's really demonstrative of the mindset of the leadership, and, in my opinion, the unwashed masses of Corpus. There are certainly a minority of level headed, and decent folks there. I've met plenty of 'em.
    But, for the most part, everything new and shiny is rejected, and everything decent is crapped on until it matches the background.

I couldn't believe how hard people campaigned to keep the city from demolishing the Coliseum.

blueangel64

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Spring
    A big thanks for all of the suggestions. Had to postpone the trip for now. But will surely use them in the future. Get out and shoot and enjoy this beautiful weekend.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yeah, but everything we saw on that stretch of the trip did not give us the warm and fuzzy feeling. I stopped at my choice of gas stations to fill up and had to wade through the day laborers only to find the clerk could not give us an opinion on a good ocean front hotel because she did not speak English. Appeared most of the billboards and signs were in Spanish, which meant an eating establishment was gonna serve us something we could only guess what it was! Then with the gangster's day out (of jail I presume) we decided to seek accommodations elsewhere.

I remember the days when Corpus was neat, clean and a pleasure to vacation in. I have a cousin who is retiring from the Navy and he asked me about Corpus as a possible place to relocate. I told him he needed to learn the language first and give them a test run..... He opted out after 3 days.

You need to come back and do it right, lol. All cities have crappy areas. Should one judge Dallas by Oak Cliff, Houston by third ward, etc?

filmtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    San Antonio area
    Corpus Christi-meh. In the past 15 or or so years I have spent many weeks working there and been to visit a few times. Here's my impression. Drive down from San Antonio-3 hours (leave early). Visit the Lex before it gets too hot-3 hours. Have lunch. Visit the Aquarium-2 hours. Drive east for a ways to see what up. Turn around and drive west across the causeway for a bit-2 hours. Check in to one of the medium priced hotels-La Quinta, Red Roof, Holiday etc. Go over to the shrimping piers and take stroll before dinner in a nice restaurant-Snoopy's. Blackbeard's, Landry's-a few choices I guess.. Go to the hotel. Wake up, drive home. You've seen Corpus. Try not to fall asleep on the way back to San Antonio-the most boring drive in Texas. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Corpus Christi-meh. In the past 15 or or so years I have spent many weeks working there and been to visit a few times. Here's my impression. Drive down from San Antonio-3 hours (leave early). Visit the Lex before it gets too hot-3 hours. Have lunch. Visit the Aquarium-2 hours. Drive east for a ways to see what up. Turn around and drive west across the causeway for a bit-2 hours. Check in to one of the medium priced hotels-La Quinta, Red Roof, Holiday etc. Go over to the shrimping piers and take stroll before dinner in a nice restaurant-Snoopy's. Blackbeard's, Landry's-a few choices I guess.. Go to the hotel. Wake up, drive home. You've seen Corpus. Try not to fall asleep on the way back to San Antonio-the most boring drive in Texas. Just my two cents.

You should write travel guides!

craftkr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Rockport, Texas
    Take your time and theres allot to do around Corpus Christi. Check and see if any festivals are going on in the area. Rockports got a neat little downtown area with shops and stuff. The island has the beach and some cool places in Port A. I think everyone has named the major stuff to do in Corpus. Fall and spring have the best weather around here. Sunny warm days and cooler nights.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi

lol if you're not coming for the ocean then don't come.
    It's that simple.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I want to see it, I passed by twice a day while I was working down there. On a side note WTF is up with the big queer pride looking rainbow bridge? lol

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around

Houston to CC sucks too, or even worse I drove from Houston to CC, and then to Tyler one day.

Gopher711

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I want to see it, I passed by twice a day while I was working down there. On a side note WTF is up with the big queer pride looking rainbow bridge? lol
    Halloween Dress up lights ...LOL gay Pride LOL We went to Lex last night for the Haunted House tour with GF's kids Won't scare the grown ups as we are more observant ,,but scared the crap out of the girls ! There are motels as stated earlier on North Beach to stay at , if you like seafood you will be in heaven as there are many good dives and night clubs to eat at !! kinda on the tail end of the summer season but most clubs have live bands nightly and a few within walking distance of each other so there is some variety to choose from also

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi

I call it the fiesta bridge. (I can make racial Mexican jokes, I'm half beaner)
    It's as tacky at it comes, makes me want Mexican food.

Top Bottom