• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    https://www.texastribune.org/2019/0...160-million-financial-aid-ut-austin-students/

Expanding a program that essentially provides free tuition for illegal aliens...with a median family income in Texas of $59,200 in 2017, according to U.S. Census Bureau. Before this expansion, it was families below $30,000.

Claimed on a 1040.

They still have to qualify academically, but now the tuition is free.

Nice.

I'd rather use the money to renovate and drydock the USS Texas
    ARJ Defense ad

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    So they are offering a large incentive for parents to be less successful. If "free" Tuition is $20,000, then a family making 85k would be reduced to the 65k family. And a family making anywhere below 85k and above 65k would be best served to lower its income. Maybe one parent could quit his/her job. This is what Communism does. Madness and evil.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Liberal niece tried to xfer into UT with a 4.0, was denied entry. I of course point out illegals took your slot, and you get to pay for it. She is no longer a liberal. She has seen the light.

Yup.
    As a dumb Asian, I was the victim of reverse discrimination when applying to college.

My GPA would have gotten me in had my skin been a different color.

But all those smart Asians meant I needed a 4.5 GPA...and I didn’t even know it was possible to go higher than 4 LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Liberal niece tried to xfer into UT with a 4.0, was denied entry. I of course point out illegals took your slot, and you get to pay for it. She is no longer a liberal. She has seen the light.
    I'd say she gained more useful knowledge in that moment than an entire time spent earning a bachelors degree.

Yup.
    As a dumb Asian, I was the victim of reverse discrimination when applying to college.

My GPA would have gotten me in had my skin been a different color.

But all those smart Asians meant I needed a 4.5 GPA...and I didn’t even know it was possible to go higher than 4 LOL
    That's lacist.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Similar story in the FW paper today, but it made mention at the end that the cost this year was in the 10-11k range, but the cost next year is expected to be in the 27-28k range.

I don't know if UT is planning on "taxing the rich" to pay for the free stuff, or if the reporter is just so lazy they don't understand the original article and added the 17k living expense into next year's cost.

Or did they just fine a loophole in NCAA regs and are padding their football / basketball / sports programs with more talent than they have scholarship slots for?

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I don't know if UT is planning on "taxing the rich" to pay for the free stuff,......
    Don't believe UT is a taxing entity. If you read the article in the OP you would know they have huge endowments. It is their money now and they can do what they want with it.

\en·dow·ment
    /inˈdoumənt,enˈdoumənt/
    noun
    the action of endowing something or someone.
    "he tried to promote the endowment of a Chair of Psychiatry"
    synonyms: funding, financing, subsidizing; More
    an income or form of property given or bequeathed to someone.
    plural noun: endowments
    synonyms: bequest, bequeathal, legacy, inheritance; More
    a quality or ability possessed or inherited by someone.
    plural noun: endowments
    synonyms: quality, characteristic, feature, attribute, facility, faculty, ability, talent, gift, strength, aptitude, capability, capacity
    "his taste and inquiring mind were natural endowments"

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin

"As of December 2008 figures, the PUF holds approximately $8.8 billion in investments and 2,100,000 acres (8,500 km2) of land located in 21 counties, mostly in West Texas.[8][13] Each year, five percent of the PUF's value is transferred to the AUF, which then distributes the money. The PUF exclusively serves institutions in the University of Texas System, which receives two-thirds of its proceeds, and the Texas A&M System, which receives the remaining one-third.[14] As of 2008, the University of Texas System received the fifth-largest endowment in the nation, and the Texas A&M System received the tenth-largest."

It is a sovereign wealth fund. How is that a tax on oil? More extrapolation on your part?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

"...
    It is a sovereign wealth fund. How is that a tax on oil? More extrapolation on your part?

PUF is funded by surface and mineral income on a couple million acres of land in the Permian Basin. Since the mid-90s, that income has been managed by UTIMCO.

Though a bit dated, here’s a good description in one of UTIMCO’s annual reports.

https://www.utimco.org/Funds/Endowment/PUF/puf97.pdf

The state oil excise tax goes to three things:
    * Rainy Day Fund
    * State Highway Fund
    * Foundation Schools Program

https://www.texastribune.org/2018/0...xas-budget-use-taxes-oil-and-natural-gas-pro/

All that used to be taught in 7th grade Texas History.

Last edited:

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Don't believe UT is a taxing entity.

I'm well aware that UT is not a taxing entity and that they and A&M have huge endowments. UT is also a very, very, left leaning university that preaches the left principles, but for some reason seems to pay the faculty very well.

The "tax" comment was a play on words. It's not a tax technically, just like it's not free college technically. The money comes from somewhere. Are they going to start giving away the money from the endowment fund and watch it start to shrink? Or are they going to raise the tuition on other students and let them pay for the "free" education?

I was implying their "free" stuff sounded like it might be the same as the government "free" stuff, which isn't really free, but is just paid for by someone else.

But maybe I should have just focus on the OP's article and forget all the other possibilities mentioned in other articles.

Top Bottom