• ...and so much more!
  • Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Which is ridiculous because there is still pushback. Saw a bunch of people on the news last night bashing Fenves for allowing guns in too many places, but when you read the guidelines they are obviously restricted in most places. Trying to placate these people is foolish.

I wouldn't say "most." Most of campus isn't a sporting event, dorm, medical facility or "dangerous lab."

As for pushback, it's two kinds of people: 1) Those that don't understand the law and the limits it set on what colleges could limit and 2) Those who want a fight against the campus carry law to begin with.

Don't underestimate them - imagine the lawsuits on August 1st when all those concealed handguns are seen around campus and scare students and professors alike by their mere presence.

Oh, wait, I said concealed, didn't I. Well damn. Now how will they know who to be afraid of? We should have required OPEN carry on college campuses so they know who to out, ostracize, threaten and demean.

And impossible.....anyone else ever notice that the libtatds are never happy? Always something to carry on about, no compromise!

I've seen that from conservatards, too. Seems the 'tard runs strong in some despite the political preference.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I wouldn't say "most." Most of campus isn't a sporting event, dorm, medical facility or "dangerous lab."
    You're leaving out a few... Item #10 creates a "gun exclusion zone" out of nearly every student services dept on campus and everyone that has an office can disallow carry in their office. Classrooms without a lab and hallways are about all that's left.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    You're leaving out a few... Item #10 creates a "gun exclusion zone" out of nearly every student services dept on campus and everyone that has an office can disallow carry in their office. Classrooms without a lab and hallways are about all that's left.

I doubt it will be extended that far - they seem to be pretty aware that the Legislature is looking at them. I don't know that the "my office is prohibited" will work, either, under the current doctrine of government property and 30.06. This will be an interesting test.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    The two biggest problems with the communist republic!

The fact that a Texas college is setting out groundrules for carrying a gun shows how much influence the commieland is bringing here!

The students and masters....*cough* I mean professors they interview on the news about this are mostly an embarrassment to humanity! I saw the first pro gun students I've ever seen interviewed on the news last night....good to know there are a few left!

-and she is a cutie!.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Some tsip complained about concealed carry suppressing free speech. Only free speech suppression I have seen lately came from the PC crowd.

And as someone pointed out above, since carry is CONCEALED, how would anyone be intimidated?

Governors20

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Austin
    Looks like Texas A&M has a different view on professors being able to ban LTC in their offices.

From the A&M website.

Can I personally make a rule that someone with a license to carry cannot carry it into my office, classroom or laboratory?
    No. Effective August 1, 2016, concealed carry is allowed on university campuses, including all offices, classrooms, and laboratories by anyone holding a valid handgun license, unless carrying a handgun is prohibited by state law, federal law, or university rules. SB 273 prohibits the university and its employees from imposing restrictions greater than those imposed by law. Violations of SB 273 can result in a fine to the university as high as $10,500 per day.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Thats because Aggieville is superior, and UT is inferior. But as the Dad of an Aggie 3rd year (double major in Math/Comp sci and minor in physics all A's in your face Liberal Arts students!) I'm not biased in any way.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    And impossible.....anyone else ever notice that the libtatds are never happy? Always something to carry on about, no compromise!

IMO that is because the facts seldom (almost never) match with their opinion of what the facts should be. Then, because the facts don't match and their opinion can't be modified they feel the need to do more of the same!! So, of course, they can never be happy.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To ALL,

As a fanatic ORANGEBLOOD, I think that we exes should invite the LIBTARD professors, staff-members & students, who do not respect the 2nd Amendment & Texas law, to remove themselves from The Forty Acres forever. ====> NOBODY is irreplaceable.
    (Perhaps they would be happier at Berkeley or some leftist school in DAMNyankeeland.)

yours, satx

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    An interesting note on "office carry:"

The law has traditionally vested the occupant of an office with substantial control over his or her office space. The United States Supreme Court has recognized that government employees have a constitutionally-protected right of privacy in their offices. UT faculty, staff, and students who occupy offices to which they are solely assigned and that are not generally open to the public have traditionally been vested with the authority to control who may and may not enter. They have long exercised that discretion (unrelated to the concealed carry law) and should be able to continue to do so. We recommend that an office occupant must give oral rather than written notice to avoid the proliferation of signage that would otherwise be required.

One big problem here. Those offices aren't the property of the occupants. They're 'owned' by the public. Paid for by all out tax dollars. And they can control who enters 'their' office. But that's about it.

Top Bottom